Perkins 354, Dot4, 1006 August 10, 2020 03:36AM
a few years ago, there was a couple threads in here about simply bolting a cylinder head from a 1006 Perkins, to a Dot4 block. Supposedly, either the 7 or 12 port head would be an improvement.
Then as the tread progressed, it was suggested that even a Dot4 head would be an improvement over previous Dot1,2,3 heads..

All I know about the pre dot4 heads is they don't have an extra row of smaller diameter head bolts like a Dot4 has. So I'm a little confused on just how 'similar' they actually are!
For me, I've never had a head from both sitting side by side to compare.. or even had the thought to grab head gaskets to compare.

I'm not building a puller, just looking at ways to 'get a little more' out of a 3545 MF w/dot4 engine. This is a hayfield tractor, pulling a discbine and round baler. On my flat ground... it's fine with the power it makes.. it's my hill country that is where another 30-40 hp would be really nice.
I've always felt the Perkins were a little 'choked' on the breathing dept, and a freer breathing head and turbo would be a good place to start.
I do realize additional cooling probably will be necessary.
Thanks for any input!

Re: Perkins 354, Dot4, 1006 August 17, 2020 04:11PM
first off dot 4 heads are quite a bit better than the old heads ( they are taller heads with better port room) and you can swap dot 1 and 4 heads with a little work

either 7 port or 12 port 1006 heads will bolt on a dot 4 354 however there is little difference between a dot 4 head and 7 port 1006 head as far as air flow is concerned

the 12 port 1006 head is the best and is great for pulling. but for farming its not really worth it because you would have to find a 12 port head, then you have to change the camshaft because the intake / exhaust pattern is different on a 12 port

the dot 4 head can easily support the hp needed for any trailed discbine or hay roller on steep hills but the turbo from factory was a bit lacking. A nice upgrade in turbo would be a hx35 holset or a smaller s300 but on a 3545 you might have to get creative to get it mounted because of the intercooler

that 3545 has the absolute sweetest 354 engine ever put into a tractor because of that water to air intercooler. With a better turbo and a little extra fuel that thing could make 180 hp or more with a stock head and stay together

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,698, Posts: 229,797, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard