Passes on oil before changing August 25, 2020 10:13AM
How many runs before most change oil on a light limited IH diesel. Running Schaeffers oil

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 25, 2020 01:14PM
I’d like to know myself.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 25, 2020 01:29PM
To much is better than not enough, when i ran a 4 charger diesel yrs ago i changed it ever 4 to 6 runs and never had any bearing issues, i don't know what guys are doin now days.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 26, 2020 02:18AM
I run a case 540 w/ 4.3 in a light pro class. Every 6 runs works good for me. Keeps the moisture sludge on valve train and up in valve covers to a minimum.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 25, 2020 01:41PM
I am curious as well. I wouldn’t think you would have to change frequently at all... I understand changing an alky often or at least cooking off the alcohol, but not so much for a diesel

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 25, 2020 02:54PM
Oil has gotten better over the years too.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 26, 2020 02:56AM
I'm 6-8 runs on engine and turbos and 4 on pump. engine oil gets contaminated with water from water injection and pump oil gets contaminated with fuel pushing past the plungers.

For me contamination is a bigger issue than oil breaking down.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 26, 2020 04:01AM
We sell Penn Grade 1 oil to several pullers both diesel and alcohol. Most that run water tell me that they change their oil at 4 to 6 passes due to water dilution. Most that run alcohol are very similar depending on how much they idle. Some tell me that the turbo charged alcohol engines seem to dilute the oil with alcohol more during idling and building boost than going down the track. I don't have any experience with that but it's what I hear.

With our blown alcohol engines it depends totally on the tuneup. If the tuneup is good we will run our oil 15 or 20 passes and it looks like new when we drain it. If we are having fuel system issues we will change oil every 3 or so passes. We will boil out the alcohol if we are in this situation because the oil is perfectly good.

I don't know if anyone boils off the water in diesel oil, I would think it would work ok although water would likely be harder to boil off than alcohol which is very easy with a turkey fryer. We only need to heat the oil to about 170° to boil off the alcohol, it would likley need much more heat to boil off water. I dont know if it would compromise the oil at the higher temps. I would be interested to know if anyone boils off their diesel oil.

S'no Farmer

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 26, 2020 08:01AM
When considering the cost of a pulling vehicle,it seems that Oil is one of the most important parts,and relatively cheapest parts,that you utilize. Why take a chance on any contamination, change it more often than not, and burn it in your waste oil furnace.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 26, 2020 08:54AM
You don't boil off the water. You heat the oil up to around 140 and the water falls out to the bottom of container, drain the water from the bottom of container or take oil off the top. Your choice.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 26, 2020 10:33AM
Corn7820 must have never bought high performance oil before. Costs $350-$400 to change the oil in our Allison tractor.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 27, 2020 05:51AM
350. is pocket change on a 250000. tractor oil is your engines life line why take that chance just to save a few dollars

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 28, 2020 06:32AM
Because it's still basically new oil, just a little alcohol in it. It looks like brand new oil when I dump it out of the turkey fryer. Using your theory I would have put New oil in it 5 times out of 7 passes this year. Had fueling issues that we finally got under control.

Re: Passes on oil before changing August 26, 2020 10:27AM
6 runs pump and engine. 466 single charger

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,670, Posts: 229,765, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,941.

Our newest member Jason