Promoter Question... September 10, 2020 12:56AM
Question to any Promoter out there...What type of advertising gives you the best return on investment? Here at Springfield Tn we try many ways, I'm torn between Social Media mainly Facebook, and Our Billboard program. The Billboards are costly, and Facebook is just time consuming. We collect zip codes at the entry gates, so we can see where fans are coming from, and this is a very useful tool. We are 25 miles north of Nashville, with a population of over 600,000 folks, and we draw nearly nothing from there. But we don't advertise there either. Just would like Promoters of Pulling events to discuss and see these ideas, to try at their events.

BB

Re: Promoter Question... September 10, 2020 08:14AM
Sorry I’m not a promoter. Most of the pulls I go to, I do find on Facebook.

Re: Promoter Question... September 10, 2020 08:19AM
i get most of my pulling info here what does it cost to advertise a pull on pulloff?

Re: Promoter Question... September 10, 2020 09:55AM
Jake and Dick are very generous, and they cant help absolutely everyone the workload would be enormous, but they do for many folks, and I appreciate them for the help and the great site.

BB

Re: Promoter Question... September 10, 2020 11:56AM
The only place I saw the Smoke and Speed pulls at Burlington Pa. was on Facebook but if I hadn't heard a rumor of them coming I might not have known about it. They had good crowds but I think they could have been bigger with more advertising. It could have been they didn't want big ads do to covid. Not everyone is on Facebook or wants to fumble through the search to find a pull. Yes the true fan will but not someone looking for entertainment.Your area might be different but we get sales flyers with classified and block ads every week called Penny Savers that get to everyone. Keystone and The Buck run block ads in the Lancaster Farming. Posters in gas stations, auto parts stores and dealers gets a lot of attention. What do most fans support in your area ? Whatever that is it has to be the big picture in the ad or the poster. If it's diesel pickups then a picture of one blowing smoke should be front and center surrounded with the other classes. Good luck ..

Re: Promoter Question... September 10, 2020 02:14PM
Bob, back when I covered the Hutchinson, MN pull for the PULLER (about 2011 to 2014), Ricky & Julie Rose employed a lot of billboards that they thought were very effective. I know they handed out spectator surveys. I'm not certain what other advertising means they employed. I recommend you contact them as they certainly have built Hutchinson into a very revered pulling event over the decades.

Thanks Bob for your concern, your event promotion and all you do to promote and enhance pulling.

Re: Promoter Question... September 10, 2020 03:15PM
Posters and a road trip are a cheap way to spread the word.

Re: Promoter Question... September 10, 2020 03:00PM
If you rely on FB and word of mouth there’s a good chance that you’re gonna be very disappointed in the turnout. Seen it happen many times. More pullers than fans. Want pullers and fans to show up? You have to advertise everywhere you want to draw people from. I drive as far as 150 miles to pull. But missed pulls as close as 30 miles from home because I never heard about them.

Re: Promoter Question... September 11, 2020 01:55AM
We do all of the above, Posters in stores, Social media, Billboards word of mouth, and we are very fourtunate we have a great crowd of fans, many of which travel a great distance to come to Our show. I love the unique ideas, the things I never seem to think of, Don Slama told a story of him soliciting sponsorhip at a local Trucking firm, and the owner told Don, I cant give you any money we are not having great economic times a few years back, Don told the Owner Ok I understand, but how many trucks do you have, the owner said 300, Don says you can, allow me to put a Poster on the back door of each of your trucks running the Country, and the owner said absolutely I'd Love to help in that way. Free advertisement a win win! Stan Shelton told me of an idea once He did for his Pulls, gave out tickets for Free admittance to Pull to Kids of a certain age and under, the school system was happy to distribute these to the kids, and then the Kids would go home and ask the parents to take them, now you have a family coming for a free childs ticket. these type of ideas are great, and Pullers Love to go to an event where there is Huge crowds of Fans, We want the Promoters to do very well, plus it seems to be a financial good night in the Communities we go to, Meals are bought, Gas, people get out maybe notice a vehicle they want to buy, Hotel rooms etc. Its not just about Us Pullers getting to Pull, we Love to bring a good time, and maybe a great night to the Communities we visit across the Country.

BB

Re: Promoter Question... September 12, 2020 02:04AM
Bob Barbee those are two awesome ideas I may have to sample from you! Anyway you can involve children will draw a crowd. It brings mom dad grandpa grandma and the whole clan!

? For promoters September 11, 2020 08:30AM
For anyone who has promoted a pull:
What % of your revenue came from
Ticket sales?
Souvies like t shirts, etc?
concession?
Sponsors?
Other?

Re: ? For promoters September 11, 2020 10:31PM
Ticket sales and event sponsors mostly, we advertise heavily on various radio stations and some wide coverage news papers. having your event on the same weekend every year helps a lot as your established fan base knows when its happening without needing a reminder? social media is used a lot but cant be the only avenue for advertising?

Re: Promoter Question... September 12, 2020 08:25AM
Best way to promote a pull?

Get a hold of Cody Adgent. LOL

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Promoter Question... September 12, 2020 12:45PM
Interestingly, no one has suggested a good up to date website. Still my favorite resource. Unfortunately, those that still have a website, so often do not keep it up to date.

But I also say the same thing about facebook, which I literally detest, as very seldom can I find factual info, again, many times, it is not up to date.

The other pet peeve is, so often basic elementary info is missing. I just really love it when someone on the pulling chatboards post everything about their pull but fail to list what state they are located in. Just another case of tunnel vision as they think the whole earth apparently revolves around their peice of eden.

Re: Promoter Question... September 15, 2020 05:48AM
basic
Interestingly, no one has suggested a good up to date website. Still my favorite resource. Unfortunately, those that still have a website, so often do not keep it up to date.

But I also say the same thing about facebook, which I literally detest, as very seldom can I find factual info, again, many times, it is not up to date.

The other pet peeve is, so often basic elementary info is missing. I just really love it when someone on the pulling chatboards post everything about their pull but fail to list what state they are located in. Just another case of tunnel vision as they think the whole earth apparently revolves around their peice of eden.

100% agree. good website, nothing fancy WE WANT INFO. updated with next years dates the day after the pull. WHERE is it! Probably 6 events I have seen on social media don't tell you where the event is "City Park" in Springfield doesn't help. If I have to hunt down WHERE your pull is, Im not going. You don't have to give me turn by turn autopilot instructions, but hard physical street address, at least then I can pull it into the googlegarmingpsmapquest app and find it.

Unless you just want local people, then GREAT JOB

Re: Promoter Question... September 13, 2020 03:53AM
The best way I’ve found to promote a Pull is effort. If it looks like a good place to post an ad, hang a flyer, stick up a sign.....do it. I’m not sure that there’s one secret sauce. However, Facebook buy/sell/trade groups seem to work the best. Every little community or county seems to have one or five & with a quick message to the admin of the page, you can usually get them to pin your event to the top. I always try to reach the people who know nothing about pulling. Never be afraid to give out free tickets to sponsors, workers, pullers, and random people, it will pay you back 10 fold. To me, if there’s 100 empty seats, I’d rather give those 100 tickets away because that’s 100 people that will advertise for you next year. Oh and luck!!! Despite all of the planning, a little luck goes along way.

Re: Promoter Question... September 14, 2020 06:47AM
We rely on Sponsorship, and Gate sales, we get a portion of the Beer sales money but that's it for Us at Springfield. Anyone use any idea I mention, that is why I posted this topic, to help Promoters with ideas that just haven't occurred to them. I want every Pull in the Country running over with spectators. These social problems for Nascar and Pro Sports could very well be a Huge boon to Pulling, lets capitalize on it. Most of your local small town Am and even a lot FM radio stations will let you come in Live and do an interview maybe 15-30 minutes long for Free. We have done this in Tennessee and Southern Ky, no way to know how much it helped, but Free is Free!

BB

Tampico Fish sandwiches September 14, 2020 07:49AM
It's been a while since I've been to Tampico, IN, but if they still run the pull the way they used to, it's no admission or parking charge. The pull was (is) largely funded by fish sandwiches and other concessions. I'm sure they have local sponsors, but that is an example of a pull at the highest level that gets by with concession sales. Is this still the wayTampico does it?

Anyone from the Grassy Fork VFD on here to confirm?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 07:50AM by The Original Michael.

Re:Under 12 free September 15, 2020 01:44AM
What if all kids 12 and under got in FREE???? Now you have a family at the show and you know that they all want pop or hot dogs ect. You would charge them what 10.00 for a kid to get in some may feel that its expensive for a kid n may not come. then you have nothing. Let the kids in for free and get the money on the food and drink end of it. If you have 4 kids that's 40.00 on top of snacks ect some people with the covid $hit going on may not have a lot of extra spending money just a thought for next year. would it work????

Re: Re:Under 12 free September 15, 2020 03:14AM
We were doing 10 and under free for 5 years, Amazing how many, and big the 9 year old's around town are...I agree that letting kids in free is a good idea, it does get abused a bit. It is important to keep it a simple program for the gate folks, otherwise people standing in line get peeved at the event.

BB

Re: Re:Under 12 free September 15, 2020 02:01PM
At the Bunker Hill Shootout in Beloit, Ohio admission is $10 and all kids 12 and under are free we also have a free open pit so spectators can walk around and see their favorite pullers. It works very well for them and they also have their own food stand with reasonable prices the line for food is always long. A very family friendly event. They have a website, Facebook page and do a few posters and an ad in the Farm and Dairy rural newspaper for advertising. Also sell T-shirts, Hoodies, Hats and Koozies at their events for advertising

Re: Tampico Fish sandwiches September 17, 2020 11:43PM
I'm on the Grassy Fork VFD and also the pull committee and yes its been the same ever since they started back in 1966, free admission and parking for all three days of Pulling. We still sell fish sandwiches and homemade pies and t-shirts. And yes we do rely on local sponsorships and donations as well, but that is all that we do. We just advertise with Flyers locally, Facebook, word of mouth, and of Course here on Pulloff.com Smiling

Mike Strefling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2020 11:46PM by Stref_068.

Re: Promoter Question... September 15, 2020 05:41AM
Bob Barbee
Question to any Promoter out there...What type of advertising gives you the best return on investment? Here at Springfield Tn we try many ways, I'm torn between Social Media mainly Facebook, and Our Billboard program. The Billboards are costly, and Facebook is just time consuming. We collect zip codes at the entry gates, so we can see where fans are coming from, and this is a very useful tool. We are 25 miles north of Nashville, with a population of over 600,000 folks, and we draw nearly nothing from there. But we don't advertise there either. Just would like Promoters of Pulling events to discuss and see these ideas, to try at their events.

BB
Billboards as in road signs both fro m an outdoor advertising company? Those are great for your location. That paid for (advertising) is maybe expensive, but with the amount of traffic in your area perfect. Tough for radio/tv ad buys in your area. I would go to closest, local am/fm station and buy :30 second ads three weeks out from event. spend 800-1000 bucks for ads and ask for any publicity-news shows. Do ticket giveways, offer FREE booth space to station.

Publicity (non paid) always start with the good poster that has NAME, DATE, LOCATION (hard physical address of venue) website, great art work. This can be used as tshirt art, facebook/social media, posters for local business etc.

Get a map and outline the zip code area, look at business each code, skip NASHVILLE and go to county's north.
Email blast using pdf or poster can be done by many social media pros.. (Hire one of them for 3 months prior to youBestr pull)

Most markets biggest ADVERTISING return is from a good radio or tv buy. Even cable company has good rates and coverage. If you have good zip codes, they can target for you.
Billboards make must sense for you and the Rose event, due to traffic.

Best overall for must pulling events, is get a good poster WITH WHEN, WHERE, WHAT and good website/facebook. #2-Buy comfortable shoes and hit car shows, rodeos, other pulls and motorsports and talk with people and hand em a poster.

Re: Promoter Question... September 15, 2020 11:48PM
TV and Billboards are ok, but they are extremely expensive compared to targeted social media ads.

The majority of folks today don't watch TV unless it's a streaming app, and they are too busy on their phone while driving to see a billboard.

Re: Promoter Question... September 17, 2020 01:11AM
Billboards are expensive, but we use a bunch of them. we feel its one of our most effective ways of advertising. Billboards in our area go for $700-1000 depending on daily traffic and area they are in. Those are in cities and on County and State Highways, the Interstate boards are much more expensive due to daily exposure but we haven't used those yet. We have a following of Fans that expect the event each year now so in theory we could probably reduce the number of boards, but they have served Us well so far...I encourage Promoters to collect Zip codes at the gates, learn about your fans and where they are coming from, the information is very valuable, we use I pads at gates, someone has made a program that is very simple to collect the data quickly. We began this because the Economic Development Board In Robertson County supports this event each Year, and they require info showing the Event is actually bringing Tourism to Town to justify giving Us any money. I encourage Promoters to look into these type of Boards in your City and Counties to help fund advertising, and Facility improvements to grow the event.

BB

Re: Promoter Question... September 17, 2020 01:22AM
Doc,

Thank You, all good info and help for events. I think more info/ideas to promoters would be a great thing. The Posters yes are huge, Kristi and PPL supply us with great Posters, and we work with a local Sudden Service store chain to get them in their 55 locations, which is huge for us as well. We have a Promoters meeting at Indy each year for the PPL group, as do You Guys at your Banquet for the NTPA, I wish more folks would get involved, Dan Robinson took over the Lead role for PPL Pro Pulling League while back, He is a wealth of knowledge for Promoting Events because that was a big part of his role at Wheatland. Geo Fencing and other online tools, regarding Social Media is a huge new push, we as promoters need to get our minds around this stuff and more, its the new wave of advertising!

BB

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,561, Posts: 229,569, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,833.

Our newest member BadHabit2