IH ring & pinion option November 02, 2020 04:55AM
What would be a better rear ratio to use for a 8500 466 class a 13/49 or 13/51?

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 02, 2020 11:47AM
While I’m not the most experienced this is what I know... a lot of it matters what turbo and how much power you plan on making. Either way you turn it you can speed them both up enough to make it work in a 466 class but it will effect what transmission you get. If you had the choice I would use the 13/49 because if you want to move up a class you will be able to leave the rear end alone and just change gears in transmission. Just my $.02

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 03, 2020 12:35AM
Was just wanting to know if it would be better to have the 13/51 lower ratio or even the 12/49 to have more torque vs the 13/49. Just only want to do this once. Thanks for your input and hopefully someone else can shed some more.

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 03, 2020 01:10AM
so many variables, tires, brands vary in height, track type, driving style, the ring and pinion need to be fast enough to have an extra 20 - 30 percent speed past the class limit.And now change your thinking to the most important component, -- CLOSE RATIO GEARS, Power matters none if the gears are 32% apart like most stock transmissions, Not sure what many use, but the "BIG BOYS" HAVE GEARS 1.5 - 3 % APART, YOUR APPLICATION WOULD MOST LIKELY BE IN THE 7-10 % RANGE BETWEEN GEARS.sorry for so many caps, - not a typer kind of guy.Not enough info to make the call, power, speed limit? ect, you need three usable gears,in the range you will most likely run, talk to local pullers, watch the videos of similar tractors. Talk with the people that build engines and trannies.And then take some of the numbers and info with a grain of salt, because some like to sensationalize a lot. It takes much more than the "right" ring and pinion.

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 10, 2020 03:12AM
What would be the preferred rear ratio for this class with 24.5. Just want to start with what is more common or the better way to go.

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 10, 2020 03:22AM
If you want the most commonly used rear end ratio and your using 24.5s then I would go with the 13/49.

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 10, 2020 05:48AM
Thank You!

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 10, 2020 02:28PM
Do you have any idea what your engine is capable of?

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 10, 2020 03:08PM
Haven't got to dyno yet but just wanted to know if it was better to have the lower ratios and overdrive the transmission more or just go with the 13/49

Re: IH ring & pinion option November 11, 2020 04:45AM
Gearing is dependent upon power and torque

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,686, Posts: 229,788, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason