Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 26, 2020 09:23AM
I bought a Kentucky van drop deck trailer with thick vinyl frito lay decals. I tried to use a heat gun to get them off and that wasnt working. Anyone have any tips to get the decals off? Thanks

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 26, 2020 10:56AM
High heat pressure washer

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 26, 2020 12:12PM
Wall paper steamer

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 26, 2020 01:41PM
I would think that you could sand it off if you are careful but I’m not sure what grit sandpaper. Does anyone have any experience with sanding these vinyl decals off? What grit sand paper worked well?

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 03:22AM
Lots and lots of adhesive remover. The worst thing I've ever taken stickers off'n was a railroad pickup years ago. I swear those stickers were 1/8" thick. And it's easier to remove with sunshine and warm temps, but I know that's a ways away.

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 06:25AM
Yea these are definitely very thick. I have tried the adhesive remover and I am getting about 1 sq foot off in an hour so that’s not working well at all. I tried to sand off a spot and it worked great but I just don’t want to thin out the aluminum too much and mess it up.

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 06:32AM
Warmer climate and a good heat gun works well. Thats what I used to remove decals from a van I bought.

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 10:39PM
Had a trailer dustless blasted. It worked, but it took a while even with that

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 06:55AM
I've never removed stickers from a trailer.
That being said,I've been in the flooring installation business for 33 years,I would go to a local rental center and inquire about a linoleum remover,you would have to be inside,I would think it and a person could fit on a pallet and be lifted with a forklift to get the job done

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 08:45AM
I've heard of guys using some eraser wheels you can put on a disc grinder. Personally haven't used them, but a quick YouTube search should help you fellas out.

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 10:52AM
They would suck on decals that thick

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 01:41PM
Easy Off oven cleaner, but don't leave it on to long, as it makes heat.

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 27, 2020 01:43PM
I removed decals of a trailer this summer, only thing that worked was hot pressure washer on a hot sunny day. More heat is your friend. It was a slow process.

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 29, 2020 10:33PM
Re did one of these last summer, had over 50 hrs removing decals, then remaining glue.
What worked the best was hot water pressure washer, then ran that hot water through
Another heat unit so it was nearly steam, still too long. Then still had some glue, after many
Attempts, which included lacquer thinner and scotch brite pads, (dries to fast and re adhered
Itself to trailer). The scotch brite had scuffed the paint enough, that I sprayed the entire trailer
With aluminum brightener acid full strength, and stripped paint and glue to bare aluminum.
Then primed and painted again. The little venture costs way more than I paid for the trailer.
I still have 2 more to do.
Now I understand why I was told to DA the cracks and edges of the decals to blend them, and
Paint with a short nap roller to hide the imperfections..

After the whole acid deal, I may either try having it lightly sand blasted or wire wheel scuff the
Decals. The acid will not touch the decal, but if it can get behind it will hopefully loosen it up so it
Can be taken off easier with hot pressure washer.

Good luck, please share if you can find a "easy" way.

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 30, 2020 12:00AM
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Vinyl stickers on Kentucky van trailer December 30, 2020 02:19PM
I'd maybe give this stuff a try:

[www.crystaltek.us.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,686, Posts: 229,788, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason