IH Conrod small/little end bushes January 12, 2021 07:56AM
Got a IH Prostock with billet steel conrods and am seeing the small end bushes taking a beating on the bottom outer edges, letting the wrist pin ‘wobble’. After around thirty runs they’re pretty shot. The bushes I have been using came from a respected engine guy and are around 0.090” in the wall. Also there is 0.250” clearance either side of the rod to piston boss.
What would be anyone’s recommendation for the best quality material to make my own, or even a suggestion for a different route/solution? I have thought about making two piece top hat style bushes and pressing them in from each side, thereby increasing the bearing area/width, has anyone done something like that and did it help?
Any input appreciated.
Thanks

Re: IH Conrod small/little end bushes January 12, 2021 08:52AM
If the pin floats in the piston, how about making the pin an inference fit into the rod?

Re: IH Conrod small/little end bushes January 12, 2021 01:11PM
RCP
If the pin floats in the piston, how about making the pin an inference fit into the rod?

Personally, I would not do that.

Re: IH Conrod small/little end bushes January 12, 2021 01:13PM
Wobble
Got a IH Prostock with billet steel conrods and am seeing the small end bushes taking a beating on the bottom outer edges, letting the wrist pin ‘wobble’. After around thirty runs they’re pretty shot. The bushes I have been using came from a respected engine guy and are around 0.090” in the wall. Also there is 0.250” clearance either side of the rod to piston boss.
What would be anyone’s recommendation for the best quality material to make my own, or even a suggestion for a different route/solution? I have thought about making two piece top hat style bushes and pressing them in from each side, thereby increasing the bearing area/width, has anyone done something like that and did it help?
Any input appreciated.
Thanks

What do you have for pins? I have been wrong before, but sounds like your pins are flexing causing excessive pressure on outer edges instead of the whole bush surface.

Re: IH Conrod small/little end bushes January 12, 2021 01:47PM
I was having the same problem until i had a friend told me to suggest Ampco 45 for the bushings to the machine shop i use and never had any more problems

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 01:48PM by Lewis Conner.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,844, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,971.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro