Water in the compressor face? January 24, 2021 05:48AM
I was watching a video of a hot diesel engine on the dyno, they showed 3 nozzles spraying into the face of the compressor wheel. Looks like lots of water. I always understood that this is a bad thing to do (compressor erosion) Has that thinking changed? Just curious.

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 25, 2021 09:33AM
water will wear down an aluminum wheel? possibly not as big a deal for the fancy metal ones?

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 25, 2021 09:45AM
If it was a 3" charger class it would never erode because they get a new turbo every 10 or 20 minutes since they make 60-90 more horsepower with every update Grinning.

On a serious note: I have always heard it was because water added in front of the wheel decreased the wheel RPM considerably. Not sure if it's true but that's what I've heard.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 25, 2021 10:57AM
Not a problem as long as you're fully atomizing the water.

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 28, 2021 11:39PM
What is the best nozzles for atomizing water being sprayed into the compressor?
What is the typical water pressure?

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 29, 2021 12:17AM
f it was a 3" charger class it would never erode because they get a new turbo every 10 or 20 minutes since they make 60-90 more horsepower with every update Grinning.

LOL. True, but same can be said for about any class at this point. Technology and capability get's better by the day. I'd guess if you want to be competitive with the top runners in any class you will be updating turbos at least once a year. Sad but true.

As far as the video with water before the turbo, I'm guessing you saw Harts big pro stock turbo video? Probably an extreme example, but water before the turbo is fairly common even in the 4.1 class, maybe even smaller, not totally sure.. Keeping the wheel cool can add to the longevity of the turbo.

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 30, 2021 12:52PM
Just spent a day on the dyno recently, water infront of the turbo gained me nothing. Actually lost power, but each there.

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 31, 2021 05:13AM
Hotfarm
Just spent a day on the dyno recently, water infront of the turbo gained me nothing. Actually lost power, but each there.

Hotfarm

Were you able to bring preturbine temperatures down?

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 29, 2021 03:44AM
Galen I have nozzles that are the type used in water wash systems for peaking power natural gas turbine commercial power plants but if used on turbochargers you would want at least a coarse screen on turbo as the nozzles are threaded into piping with 1/4-28 threads and could be a source of FOD.

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 29, 2021 04:11AM
The best are hollow cone with at least 1000 psi

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 29, 2021 12:47PM
I sell nozzles that break water down to a mist. Work very well. 715-773-2697.

Re: Water in the compressor face? January 31, 2021 04:36PM
gonzo 1066
I was watching a video of a hot diesel engine on the dyno, they showed 3 nozzles spraying into the face of the compressor wheel. Looks like lots of water. I always understood that this is a bad thing to do (compressor erosion) Has that thinking changed? Just curious.

Turbo chargers are made to run air through them and nothing else. Now I know I'll get a thumbs down on this but that's ok.

Re: Water in the compressor face? February 01, 2021 12:04AM
That's what I've been told too." A turbo is not a water pump it's an air pump". I know it's done a lot and must be ok if done right.

Re: Water in the compressor face? February 01, 2021 01:40PM
jd43
That's what I've been told too." A turbo is not a water pump it's an air pump". I know it's done a lot and must be ok if done right.

EXACTLY AND a turbo is NOT an alcohol pump either. I think we all know how well THAT works out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 01:46PM by Supertiquer.

Re: Water in the compressor face? February 01, 2021 02:00PM
Must be ok. Just got off the dyno with instructions from the turbo builder to use water in front of the turbo. There are reasons to do and not all turbos need it.

Re: Water in the compressor face? February 01, 2021 01:23PM
Try it yourself on the dyno then you will know!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,687, Posts: 229,790, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member Jason