NTPA VS PPL August 24, 2009 05:05PM
I am a huge pulling fan and have been for years. I grew up with my family pulling FWD trucks with the NTPA and OSTPA. So i have watched and been to a lot of NTPA events. They are or seem to be a great organization. But everyone on here seems to be bashing them. I realize that the PPL is a newer organizatoin that seems to be doing fairly well. But the reason I post is that we all on here are pulling fans and it bugs me reading post after post about how this person sucks and this organization sucks and this team should join this organizatoin. Im not favoring one organization or the other but I dont know what all the fusing is about. I think both organizatoins have there ups and downs. I know this will never happen but why can't both organizations work together or join together. Nascar dont have any competitors or neither does the NHRA. I guess the reason I posted is to figure out what the big fus is with the organizations. It gets really old listening to how certain people favor certain organizations.

Re: NTPA VS PPL August 25, 2009 12:32AM
Back when pulling was united with one set of rules and one set of classes it really did make for good shows all the way around,now it is hard to even figure out what classes are actually running and how the machines would compare to each other.

Re: NTPA VS PPL August 25, 2009 12:50AM
Be happy we have pulling period in this day and age! Organizations have different ideas and that is seen in their rules. What I like is a set of rules that would comply for pullers to go where they wish (most notably the Modified 2WD class). But, when PPL or someone suggests that PPL, or whatever organization, adopt rules the same or very simular to NTPA, the bashing starts! That is what I don't understand. How can you have uniformity if the crying starts over the same rules within organizations.

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: NTPA VS PPL August 25, 2009 08:36AM
We live in an area (Eastern Minnesota and Western Wisconsin) that has six different organizations. There's probably only 40 trucks and most of the trucks in one organization can't go pull with a different organization. And these are what most people call brush league organizations. Which really hurts the sport because the local trucks are not allowed to pull with the different groups. Why is it so hard to just all agree on one set of rules for trucks and tractors so everyone can come and pull?

Re: NTPA VS PPL August 25, 2009 09:52AM
Alot of it is about the payout. NTPA and company made a huge amount of money at BG this weekend. The pullers didn't feel it in their pocketbook.

Re: NTPA VS PPL August 26, 2009 03:56AM
I still disagree. I can only speak to the mini class at BG. The purse was $7900 and they pay 15 places. A normal NTPA purse for a one day hook is $3900 and pays 12 places. A two day hook purse is slightly less for each hook. So, the BG purse was twice what the normal purse would be. If they followed through with the other classes, I don't see where your argument holds water. Pullers get into the sport knowing what purses are. If pullers spend beyond their means regarding a payback, whose fault is that? Motorsports is all the same. Your team sponsor pays the bills. If you don't have a team sponsor (and 99% of pullers do not), then it comes out of the pullers pocket. I don't like it either, but it is what it is. JW

Re: NTPA VS PPL August 26, 2009 07:03AM
Points money, money period is better on the PPL. They treat member states better, like the OSTPA. The best thing the OSTPA has done in awhile is go with the PPL, the money is back up fairly high, the numbers are higher, and now some of the PPL guys even make hooks occasionally.

I'm a tractor guy, always have been, the ULSS and Pro's are the best. The mods are also one of the best classes, and right now the PPL simply has more of them, and a premium quality in all 3 classes.

I don't know if there is anything wrong with the NTPA, I just think the PPL is way better as of today. Forest took the old ATPA and put the money needed to turn it into the premier pulling circuit.

Re: NTPA VS PPL August 26, 2009 01:11PM
bandit496 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still disagree. I can only speak to the mini
> class at BG. The purse was $7900 and they pay 15
> places. A normal NTPA purse for a one day hook is
> $3900 and pays 12 places. A two day hook purse is
> slightly less for each hook. So, the BG purse was
> twice what the normal purse would be. If they
> followed through with the other classes, I don't
> see where your argument holds water. Pullers get
> into the sport knowing what purses are. If
> pullers spend beyond their means regarding a
> payback, whose fault is that? Motorsports is all
> the same. Your team sponsor pays the bills. If
> you don't have a team sponsor (and 99% of pullers
> do not), then it comes out of the pullers pocket.
> I don't like it either, but it is what it is. JW

You need to compare apples to apples. BG is a huge event for NTPA. One of their biggest events of the year, pullers and money. At an event of this size, with the revenue that is brought in, NTPA needs to pass more to the pullers. Let's remember, pullers bring the spectators. Spectators make NTPA a ton of money at events like BG. PPL is gaining ground on NTPA every year. It is all about the money. Plus PPL event coverage on networks like espn2 doesn't hurt either.

To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 26, 2009 01:22PM
Just wait until Forrest Lucas stops putting his money (and he will) into the PPL, then start bragging about purses and payouts. Just wait.

Re: To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 26, 2009 02:27PM
TWD, you don't know anything. You just wish he stops with PPL because you are afraid if what PPL can become.

Re: To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 27, 2009 11:04AM
Do you think the PPL will be as strong as it is without his money. He does alot for the PPL I'll give you that.

Re: To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 27, 2009 02:39AM
Why would Forest do that? He would be doing exactly what the NTPA tried to do, essentially screw the pullers and hope they don't notice. If Forest pulls his money away, then the whole thing dies. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Every year the PPL has offered more and more, plus people like E3 sponsoring the Mods and really upping the money.

The PPL has a complete sponosor in Lucas Oil (Forest) and they also have real sponsors for some classes(like E3), the NTPA doesn't. They have the pennzoil cup, and thats it. Their lack of a a real sponsor is absolutely killing them. Instead of raining on the PPL for doing this or that, scheduling pulls on the days of NTPA's hooks, and trashing Forest for doing what the NTPA hasn't. Why not try fixing the problem on your side of the fence, the NTPA.

Re: To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 27, 2009 04:11AM
Evan Knoll (Torco) put a lot of money into drag racing and all it was was a flash in the pan and Evan Knoll went bankrupt. Who is to say the Mr. Lucas won't do the same thing. Circumstances are like that when personal money is involved. If you watch the TV coverage, you will see the same "pull sponsors" ads on the other motorsports events. So, it is not like K&N, E3, etc. are specifically putting up money for pulling TV coverage. I try to keep an open mind. It has been asked many times what the purse structure is at a PPL event, but has never been answered. The amount given to win is proclaimed, but what about 2 through 12? And why is the show up money kinda a secret as in some guys getting more than others(may just be a rumor)? There is personal "bad blood" with some pullers regarding both organizations and when emotions are involved, common sense and civility sometimes go out the window. Let's just all hope that pulling can survive at all levels. JW

Re: To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 27, 2009 04:40AM
To start with, great post Buckeye I totally agree instead of bashing PPL the NTPA people need to try to find ways to improve their own situation. As for Forrest Lucas, he takes a different approach than most on how to market his products. For instance instead of paying millions for TV ads he simply puts his name on as many motorsport vehicles, races,pulls,etc. as he can. Why pay 2 mill. for a 30 sec. spot in the superbowl, when you can build the stadium and be on for the whole game? I like his approach to advertisment, it helps all the competitors, not just his company.

To: Chris W August 27, 2009 11:02AM
Do you really believe Lucas owns that stadium ? If you do believe that, you should stop smoking whatever you're smoking, because he does NOT own it.

Re: To: Chris W August 27, 2009 04:46PM
You're correct, ATF. Lucas didn't build and doesn't own the stadium in Indianapolis. He bought the naming rights for some period of time..

Re: To: Chris W August 28, 2009 02:25AM
No he owns it, he owns the PPL, he owns anything with Lucas Oil on it, everything!, I guess the Lucas Oil tattoo I got wasnt a great ideaWinking Winking Winking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 02:40AM by Buckeye.

Re: To: Chris W August 28, 2009 02:27AM
That's my Buckeye !

Re: To: Chris W August 28, 2009 10:47AM
Hey Buckeye so he owns the pic in your sig also Grinning

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 10:48AM by American Thunder fan.

Re: To: ATF August 28, 2009 03:06AM
Yes I know he doesn't own the building, but I bet the amount of money it cost to put his name on it took a big chunk out of the final cost. Of course if you hadnt been sniffing Bills alcahol fumes you would have known thats what I was trying to tell you. LOL

Re: To: ATF August 28, 2009 10:46AM
Gotcha Grinning, I know he spent a bunch just to but out the RCA contract

Re: To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 27, 2009 06:30AM
I don't think pulling is going anywhere, its more popular now than ever. PPL is on ESPN2 almost every sunday, and it looks professional, and hopefully getting rid of the puling stereotype that its just a bunch of stupid hicks.

Lucas Oil is also not going anywhere, which means the money for the PPL is probably pretty secure. As far as the NTPA goes, that I don't know, since the OSTPA sanctions with PPL, I have no clue what the NTPA's financial situation is. But I do know that they lack what the PPL has, and that is a total, complete sponsorship. If I was the NTPA, I would petition the WPA to let a beer or tobacco company fully sponsor the NTPA. Like " The Budweiser National Tractor Pulling Association", or whoever.

I do disagree that the survival of the sport relies upon all organizations having the same rule and that they are careful not to step on each others toes. It looks like the NTPA took a positive step in introducing limited pro's, im sure that class combine with super farms will be a big hit on the regional and national level. I think that the NTPA is really moving in a European style of classes right now, Limited Pro's, SF, Minis, UNL, DSS..etc. While the PPL is going forward with the ULSS, Prostock, and Mods, and are really sucking up the pro 4X4's and TWD's.

Both Org's have their classes that are popular, its just that right now, the NTPA has their history and name, and the PPL has money and pullers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 06:31AM by Buckeye.

Great Idea ! August 27, 2009 07:11AM
How about The Copenhagen Skoal Pulling Series or The Redman Pulling Series ? Those would be catchy names for a national circuit.

Re: Great Idea ! August 27, 2009 10:44AM
I remember once upon a time when the tobacco industry had alot sponsorship in all the org's. Right now with the economy, I think that any big name business that would sponsor the NTPA, the WPA should jump on it.

I think that if that happened and the NTPA tweaked a few things, that many of the pullers would come back, maybe some member states, and NTPA could go back to being the dominant pulling circuit.

Re: To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 27, 2009 10:48AM
1st gets $3000. 2nd $2000. I don' know he rest but 10th place gets $500. Plus every pecomit get $225 for showing up. Rain or shine

Re: To PPL fans (Buckeye) August 27, 2009 07:12AM
Is there anything you don't know ? You seem to be a legend in your own mind.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,804, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,958.

Our newest member CBeard