Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 05:23AM
First off this isn't anything set in stone but more of a curiosity thing for me. I think before anything is done you must first see if there is any actual interest in such a class. Then at that point you could discuss actual rules other than safety which would be a must. Flip side is if there is no interest then the class idea dies. Again I'm just curious if people would be interested in it and I figured this would be a decent way to gauge it. With all of that said:

Here in Kentucky there isn't anything to pull that's considered "open farm". I have seen this class in Indiana and Illinois. ( the HOI pull). It seems like it draws several different kinds of tractors that you don't normally see. I think that kind of a class would be a decent draw here. Again I could be wrong. I think promoters would enjoy seeing the variety in tractors. I personally think you could draw tractors from KY, Indiana, and Illinois. I think spectators would enjoy seeing the variety. What say you? Does anyone else feel this type of class can succeed? Are there enough tractors for it? I think over all it would be a fun class. Multiple kinds of tractors with anyone able to win on a given night. Again what are yalls thoughts on this type of class? Thanks for your time and thoughts about this.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 06:15AM
To clarify, are you talking about these classes from the Heart of Illinois Fair website?

1. 11klb - Stock, 2.45 turbocharger (S300 or 31m and smaller only; no larger framed turbochargers), stock appearing.

2. 13klb - Open, "run what ya brung," 20.8 tire width limit (18.4-42 and 20.8-38 or 20.8-42 ok), no RPM limit, cut tires allowed, water injection only allowed (no N20, Propane, etc.,) factory or aftermarket intercooler allowed. Safety Equipment Required: (wheelie bars, air kill, seat belt, etc.,) if running opn rpm, otherwise tractor will run no more than 2800 rpm.

3. 15klb - Stock, 2.45 inducer, any frame turbo allowed, stock appearing.

.ALL STOCK CLASSES
- 20 IN HITCH HEIGHT 18 FROM CENTER OF REAR AXLE
- NO CUT TIRES,
- 2800 RPM,
- NO INJECTABLES (Water, N2O, etc.).
There will be no turbo bore "reducers" or "slugs" allowed in the stock classes. If you have an inducer bore size larger than 2.45 you will be pulling open. If you can't make 13klb for open, you can pull exhibition or load up, no exceptions.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 06:27AM
Sorry I was typing on my phone and didn't realize I left that out. I meant the 13k open class. My only caveat would be it doesn't have to be 13k. You could make it lighter if need be.

I think with the right set of rules you could make this class one of those classes anyone could win on any given night. But that's always the hang up. Everyone wants the rules slanted in their favor, well at least around here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2021 06:32AM by Phillip D.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 08:17AM
It works as the occasional brush hook. If you are asking if this would have a future as an organized class that would get 20 hooks a summer, the answer is most definitely no. All it takes is one guy building a prostock on 20.8s (and there will always be that guy), and everyone else quits showing up. Hence the invention of the box charger classes.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 09:48AM
Brush
It works as the occasional brush hook. If you are asking if this would have a future as an organized class that would get 20 hooks a summer, the answer is most definitely no. All it takes is one guy building a prostock on 20.8s (and there will always be that guy), and everyone else quits showing up. Hence the invention of the box charger classes.[/quote

I definitely see that as a problem. I wonder if a set rules could be made to limit that. There is always at least one person to try and push the envelope.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 08:31AM
Just about the only rule we have is no water. That kind of helps limit how wild it can get.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 09:46AM
NewGen4010
Just about the only rule we have is no water. That kind of helps limit how wild it can get.

How many tractors do you average? I'm just curious.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 10:48AM
Phillip D

How many tractors do you average? I'm just curious.
Somewhere in that 14-18 range normally.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 01:57PM
NewGen4010

How many tractors do you average? I'm just curious. Somewhere in that 14-18 range normally.

Is it a deal where any of the tractors can win on a given night? Or is it just a select few that win? Those are really good numbers. Impressive.

Re: Open farm Class? July 27, 2021 02:21AM
Phillip D

How many tractors do you average? I'm just curious. Somewhere in that 14-18 range normally.

Is it a deal where any of the tractors can win on a given night? Or is it just a select few that win? Those are really good numbers. Impressive.
There's probably 5-8 tractors that have a chance of landing in the top 3. Then there seems to be a gap. One thing about here, is there are no BBJD's that fit in this class around here. I think a few of us promoters need to get together and come up with a few more rules, but overall it is a pretty good class!

Re: Open farm Class? July 27, 2021 02:59AM
Is the no BBJD by design or just cause no one has one?

Re: Open farm Class? July 27, 2021 03:13AM
Phillip D
Is the no BBJD by design or just cause no one has one?
No one has one, yet... Between the A-Pump SBJD and the red ones with rotary pumps, it stays pretty tight. I think there's room for growth in that class around here too.

Re: Open farm Class? July 27, 2021 03:27AM
NewGen4010

Is the no BBJD by design or just cause no one has one? No one has one, yet... Between the A-Pump SBJD and the red ones with rotary pumps, it stays pretty tight. I think there's room for growth in that class around here too.

We got a big block but no home so to speak. Your class looks fun.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 08:44AM
Kitpa has an 11k altered farm class with similar rules that l had planned on building for but things changed and not moving to Kentucky now but it has a lot of color and looked a fun class to run

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 09:53AM
Sent you PM.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 01:28PM
We can make 20 hooks a summer in open farm classes around the country (from Georgia to Minnesota and Nebraska to New York... or Canada if you want) and the numbers vary from 20 machines to 2. The cool thing about a rwyb class is that you have no idea what will show up.

I have BEGGED pro stock owners, 4.1 owners, pro farm owners, and everything in between to put 20.8s on and pull in Peoria but no one ever bites. I think it'd be the coolest thing ever to see a pro stock on 20.8s.

Open Farm gets the crowd going because it's not 15 of the exact same thing parked in a hole two feet apart. Don't get me wrong, you need those classes bc they have a consistently good show, but I want to see open classes for the same reason people listen to Howard Stern; to see what comes out next.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 02:00PM
BAM
We can make 20 hooks a summer in open farm classes around the country (from Georgia to Minnesota and Nebraska to New York... or Canada if you want) and the numbers vary from 20 machines to 2. The cool thing about a rwyb class is that you have no idea what will show up.

I have BEGGED pro stock owners, 4.1 owners, pro farm owners, and everything in between to put 20.8s on and pull in Peoria but no one ever bites. I think it'd be the coolest thing ever to see a pro stock on 20.8s.

Open Farm gets the crowd going because it's not 15 of the exact same thing parked in a hole two feet apart. Don't get me wrong, you need those classes bc they have a consistently good show, but I want to see open classes for the same reason people listen to Howard Stern; to see what comes out next.

Didn't get to make it to HOI this year but last year when we pulled it was one of the most interesting class I have seen in quite sometime. I enjoyed it. We end top 10 there among 30 some odd tractors. I just think that type of a class with a consistent place to pull would draw good numbers.

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 03:02PM
To be top ten there last year is one heck of an accomplishment in my opinion. There were some serious machines there last year and, yes, there were nearly 30 tractors in the open class; probably the best open farm pull I've ever seen anywhere.

This year was good too, but several people had problems there this year. Lots of transmission issues, turbo issues, and new setups that needed some tweaking. Several hard runners also didn't get to go bc of parts availability.

Hope to see everyone there next year!

Re: Open farm Class? July 26, 2021 03:45PM
Made the drive back to KY a little easier.

Re: Open farm Class? July 28, 2021 08:46AM
i would like to se a 4cyl utility type tractor class around 5500 pounds in ky

Re: Open farm Class? July 28, 2021 10:12AM
What's the rules on that light hot farm I've seen at few places?

Re: Open farm Class? July 28, 2021 02:02PM
Not very good rules the class has pretty well priced itself out very not many pulling and could have been a great class

Re: Open farm Class? July 28, 2021 02:51PM
Is there much difference between that and the 10K hot farm?

Re: Open farm Class? July 29, 2021 07:33AM
I sent you a PM, Phillip D.

Re: Open farm Class? July 29, 2021 02:20PM
Got it thanks!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,681, Posts: 229,783, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason