Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 01:38PM
I split this off from my BG thread because it wasn't really specific to BG and it was more of a general statement so I'm putting it in it's own thread...

Unlimited mods… five Hemis sure didn’t look like a great combination. Sure the track wasn’t great on Thursday night… but that setup just didn’t impress on Saturday night either. Not much movable weight and too much horsepower just don’t make for a great show.

While we’re talking about Mods… When I think about the three mod classes the two poorly named “Unlimited” classes sure didn’t put on great shows. Sure the top tractors were impressive but the gap from top to bottom was huge. I my opinion it’s time for a Heavy Mod and a Light Mod with lowered limits because the Mod class had great runs by Allisons, Turbines, Hemis and there’s room for wedge motors to be competitive too. The 2/3/4/5 hemi shows that makes up the “Unlimited” classes just isn’t working.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Unlimited Mods August 23, 2021 05:59AM
Not sure what pull you were at Sat night, but the Unlimited class at BG was awesome!! Give those guys a track like that and they put on a show like no other! I honestly don't know what else you want from the pullers? Couple of those teams thrashed all day to convert from the Mod class, put on a show like that, and you complain about it. The Rose crew got very little sleep this weekend, and I doubt Corzine's crew got much more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 01:42PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Unlimited Mods August 23, 2021 01:25AM
I have to strongly disagree with your heavy unlimited comments. I think it is the best class in pulling! So what a 3 screw setup is competitive? That gives light unlimited guys somewhere else to hook, and may lead to others building that way. Time will tell.

As far as the 5 engine guys, Mark Cole made his best pass ever and got in the winners circle. Wayne would have definitely been in the hunt if he hadn't broke a ring gear in his first pass. Adam is his own worst enemy at times, but he has two wins this year. Leave the class alone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 01:44PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 01:03PM
Trying to get a 5 engine or even a 4 engine tractor is not as simple as some make it up to be. I really like watching the class. And I can appreciate the hard work and effort that each team puts out to entertain fans. Thank you unlimited pulling teams. Your hard work,time,and effort is noticed by this fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 01:46PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 02:16PM
I disagree i think the unlimited class sat night was pretty good and purser the highest hp tractor would have probably won had they got the sled right the first time.

I do agree the regular mod class was probably the best i have ever seen it and really impressed me and was enjoyable

Re: Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 03:08PM
I’m not sure what people are reading (or thinking I wrote) but I thought it was pretty good on Saturday as well (the only thing I said was the 5-hemis still didn’t impress on Saturday), but I didn’t think the class put on a bad show… not great but not bad either. I agree that Purser did make a great pass before the reset and it’s a shame he broke because it would have been interesting to see if he could have won it as he looked like the only 5-hemi tractor that might have shaken things up… unfortunately we’ll never know.

To “Just a thought” and “Fan 2”, as for the pullers working hard… I think their hard work is noticed by almost every serious fan. I don't know ANYONE who says or implies they don't work hard or that it's easy. Sadly hard work doesn't necessarily equate to a great show. The guys building the track at BG on Thursday put in tons of hard work, the Unlimited pullers put in tons of hard work, the sled operators and track officials put in tons of hard work... yet the show was still awful on Thursday. Again, hard work doesn't equal a great show. Hat’s off for hard work, but sadly it didn’t work out.

Saturday night was much better than Thursday and I'm sure everyone worked just as hard. Unfortunately there were still many tractors on Saturday that didn't make clean passes… It was a good show but it wasn’t great by any standard.

As for Mark Cole, I was really happy to see him make a nice pass Saturday. He doesn’t live too far from me and I had a chance to talk with him for a while before the pull and it was great to see him make his 5-wedge engine combo work. I think he had the right idea on Thursday night too, but just waited a little too long before he went wide open. I also don't expect to see him run 5-engines next season.

Personally I think both the Light Unlimited and the Heavy Unlimited have some issues, for the Lights, too few tractors. For the Heavys, too much HP. The reason for both is the same, the limits are too high (yes both classes are limited despite the name "Unlimited"). Just my opinion.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 03:11PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 03:28PM
Jake Morgan
Personally I think both the Light Unlimited and the Heavy Unlimited have some issues, for the Lights, too few tractors. For the Heavys, too much HP. The reason for both is the same, the limits are too high (yes both classes are limited despite the name "Unlimited"). Just my opinion.

One contrary thought: I heard Miles or Dan mention Benedict/Criswell were having trouble getting their power to the ground.

While they and others may still be fighting for the sweet spot, remember 2 years ago in 2019 when Boyds ran screw blowers and made a monster pass on Thursday?

That tells me it can be done. Boyds did it. Purser also did it in 2019 when he ran 5 with 18-71s (if memory is correct).
Maybe the newer tires are more unforgiving?

Re: Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 05:06PM
Like I said, I don't know what show you were watching Saturday night, but the Unlimited show at BG was a real good show! Bauer was the only bad hook, and I think most of that is his driving style. The rest of the class could get on it as hard and fast as they wanted. In fact Richardson drove it like a mini right out of the hole and won. Don't know what you want?

Re: Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 03:22PM
"5 hemis" vs what? With all the rules and combinations it difficult for someone in the stands to know what they are actually seeing. This goes for the Unlimiteds, Mods and Light Unlimiteds. 5 hemis with roots blowers and XXX % overdrive? 3 hemis with screw blowers? 4 hemis at 125% overdrive? 3 T55 turbines limited to xxx or the 2 Allisons limited to XX but recently allowed to run xxyy to let them be competetive.......................WAYYYYY too complex for the average fan to figure out. All I know is I saw Chuck Knapp lay down 2 awesome passes on Thursday night and Dave Richardson lay down on Saturday was worth the price of admission for the whole weekend.

I challenge anyone to explain what Miles and Doc or whomever was announcing to make the average fan understand what they saw during those 3 classes what was happening in front of them....

Way to complex and my mind hurts just thinking about this.....

Kudos to Knapp and Richardson!!

Re: Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 03:35PM
Was There
I challenge anyone to explain what Miles and Doc or whomever was announcing to make the average fan understand what they saw during those 3 classes what was happening in front of them....

Way to complex and my mind hurts just thinking about this.....

Kudos to Knapp and Richardson!!

This was done, to a limited extent. It would be a great addition if they could announce what blower combos everyone runs. Many know most or can tell by looking, but it's another little way of pointing out the variety of combos there truly is.

Even if most run hemis, between the # of engines and 8-71, 14-71. 18-71, and screw combinations, there is a lot of variation. Sorry if all some see are blown v8s. I see widely varied approaches to figuring out the puzzle of (imo) the best class in pulling.

Re: Unlimited Mods August 24, 2021 03:58PM
So, to a limited extent to the "average" fan how many HP is a:

- 3 T55 Turbine machine (or 4 T55 like G. Stone)
- 2 Allison Machine
- 3 Hemi Screw blower machine
- 4 hemi 14-71 at 125% OD
- 5 hemi 8-71
- 3 hemi 14-71 (what is Sno' Farmer running?)
- 6 hemi 8-71 or so (miss the Martin Brothers and Petro's Multi Chaos)
- 3 Allison machine

etc...

Way too confusing for anyone to understand....

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,845, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,972.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro