Light Unlimited September 23, 2021 11:52AM
Will Bauer bring back out his 3 engine light unlimited now that 2 engine rule is gone ?

Re: Light Unlimited September 23, 2021 12:48PM
Well it didn't work before so let's try it again.

Re: Light Unlimited September 23, 2021 01:37PM
What's going on
Well it didn't work before so let's try it again.

I had that exact thought.

Re: Light Unlimited September 24, 2021 07:46AM
So they didn't address the screw blower problem and decided to just allow everyone to run all the motors that they can get on and still make weight. Not sure how this fixes the problem with the class. In fact it sounds like it's just hiding from making the hard decisions.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2021 08:24AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Light Unlimited September 24, 2021 11:34AM
I think allowing 3 engines with screw blowers will make the class better. Maybe a full titanium chassis and rear-end to make weight and all custom one-off titanium and carbon fiber parts will make the class much more affordable. Great job by the NTPA to improve the class, you sure do know how to make logical rules.

Sure they could have done the easy thing and dropped the "Unlimited" part of the name and simply called it the Light Mod and they could have adopted the same engine limits as the state and regional levels, but just at a lighter weight. Sure that would encourage guys to hook at multiple levels but we don't want that. We don't want too many tractors actually filling the class up.

I usually leave the NTPA bashing for my father, but man, they just make such idiotic decisions.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Light Unlimited September 24, 2021 01:01PM
Isn’t it the definition of insanity to do the same thing and expect a different response?

Re: Light Unlimited September 24, 2021 02:11PM
Wonder how long it will take before it is a Bauer only class?
Also wonder what the 2 boards & Larry's strategy thinking is for this class?
I realize this is Larry's darling class but is it to literally appease Bauer and their mothballed powerhouse?

Re: Light Unlimited September 24, 2021 03:47PM
No one in the meeting gave any input other than basically no one plans to run the class. If they sell the class they are nuts! There only needs to be two mod classes and that's a fact! Most region guys agreed that at 6000 pounds with 2 motors with 14's put on a worse show than the region mods at 7500. If it's gonna be a 2 motor rule with 14's then bring the Region mods to the GN level or have a Pro National series at select events. There are enough region mods to make this work. This class is dead, mostly because it isn't needed in my opinion.

Re: Light Unlimited September 25, 2021 02:06AM
Board meeting
No one in the meeting gave any input other than basically no one plans to run the class. If they sell the class they are nuts! There only needs to be two mod classes and that's a fact! Most region guys agreed that at 6000 pounds with 2 motors with 14's put on a worse show than the region mods at 7500. If it's gonna be a 2 motor rule with 14's then bring the Region mods to the GN level or have a Pro National series at select events. There are enough region mods to make this work. This class is dead, mostly because it isn't needed in my opinion.

I proposed this exact same thing a month or more ago. Just have a GN (or call it PN as you mention) mod class at 7500 lbs, running current RN rules.
Fort Recovery proved you could get a good turnout with a variety of automotive and aircraft engines, and it didn't take away at all from the heavy unlimiteds that ran later in the same session.

NTPA wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel, either. Tomah and BG, plus maybe 4-5 other two-hook events could make for a nice little series that would not require excessive weekends, if they kept a reasonable cap on # of events. This class would also work well at Langford or if they ever tried an East Coast-area GN/PN pull because there is already an in tact group of solid RN-level mod pullers at those events.

Lack of imagination September 25, 2021 02:42AM
I guess my personal growing frustration with NTPA in particular over the past two decades boils down to an overall lack of imagination, and defining the sport downward.
I had hoped when DPS moved on, that would change, but it's more of the same old/same old.

Lack of Imagination- There are so many things that could be done. For example, NTPA found lightning in a bottle when they added the Light PS class around 2010. This class should have been added as a GN class years ago, but NTPA stagnated, and now their primary competition is supposed to add it as a full-fledged Champions Tour class in 2022 f rumors are true. NTPA? Meh.

The same could be said for other classes- this very thread was created out of them trying something that didn't work a decade ago in light unlimiteds and won't work now either, for the same reason. They could combine the Heavy SS classes. Ross's performance in PPL should finally demolish any arguments that the two fuels can run together and more importantly put on a great show. Is NTPA doing anything to save their semi class, which has few hooks and may soon go the way of PPL's dying semi class? Is the PS class becoming an all BBJD class a good thing for the overall health of the sport?

To cite others, especially Jake, should rules be modernized regarding EFI? What about additional safety rules? At some point, a wheel is going to bounce and kill or seriously maim someone when a relatively inexpensive wheel tether could prevent it. Hasn't happened yet but the law of averages is going to catch up at some point. What about other safety issues mentioned in other threads by other people?

Defining the sport downward- There are now more possible tractor class options a promoter could choose than ever before. In addition to classes offered at a GN level, we have light pros, limited pros, hot farm, now LLSS, Classic SS, Pro Farm, Limited Pro diesel trucks (I expect a 2.5 or 2.6 Diesel truck class to be added in the next year or two if current trends continue).

I have no issue with any of these classes. If state and RN promoters were breaking down the doors to sanction events and all these could have a full slate of classes, very well. That would be great. I guess my issue is the bread and butter tractor classes that build NTPA are super stocks and modifieds.
One area NTPA has failed at, imo, is doing whatever they need to do to preserve the State/RN level SS classes.

My home state of Indiana used to have a very solid group of Light Supers. Now? HSPTA had 0 LSS hooks. Several have become LLSS, and as far as I can recall, there is 1 LSS in the state that actually runs NTPA, with a few more that run IPL or Mid South. Those dues are not going into NTPA coffers. Good luck finding a HSS hook that isn't at Connersville in the state. You could ditto this for a region level. Even in areas that sanction state level SS, UPOC has very few true SS tractors. Only Wisconsin has a consistent number of state level SS hooks, and their #s of vehicles are down.

If NTPA is going to add all these other classes, I wish they would have also expended as much effort into preserving their state/RN-level super stock classes. If that requires looking at rules, so be it. It's great that LLSS, Classic SS, etc can have places to pull, but especially with NTPA, I hate to see those opportunities come at the expense of the core classes (aka super stocks) that were the foundation of the organization from the very beginning.

As it is, and correct me if this is wrong, but it seems to me lately NTPA's business model is "let's add this new class and we'll get all these new dues paying members." Meanwhile, they haven't figured out that for every new dues paying member in a newly sanctioned class, they are losing other existing dues paying members in classes where there are fewer and fewer hooks, and some guys in existing classes have decided their dues money may be better spent with other organizations that will give their class enough hooks to make it worthwhile.

Asked another way- at what point is it not worth it to pay the dues? If your class has 15-20 scheduled hooks, that's a lot better opportunity to run your tractor than if your class only has 3-4 scheduled hooks. Off soapbox.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 02:43AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Light Unlimited September 24, 2021 11:55PM
What does Bauer have anything to do with it? Double Nutted isn't just sitting in the corner waiting for the class to except it. By the way. Double Nutted could carry 3 screw chargers in the 6000lb class. And still carry somewhere around 400lbs if I remember correctly. Tractor was built by the rules. Built for the class. Then it was outlawed. Class is done. IMO

Re: Light Unlimited September 25, 2021 01:48AM
Why would the NTPA offer a class that has no pullers and what promoter would take the class.

Re: Light Unlimited September 26, 2021 02:07PM
I find it amusing having Bauer even mentioned for this discussion. Last I’d heard DN was parked outside behind the barn. He was pissed they made up a “rule” about no third motor because they told him it couldn’t be done and make weight and he did it with weight to move. Now change to allow 3 and think you are doing him a favor. It’s not like he forgot. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the unlimited parked out with it and just running the minis. Less work and can pull them anywhere.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,571, Posts: 229,597, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,853.

Our newest member BadHabit2