Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 12:54AM
I keep hearing about how you can put a IH or Cummins crankshaft "right in" a small block JD. Has anyone really done this? If this is true, which crank works better and how much machine work is involved to make it work. Is the nose of the crank machined down to replicate the JD crank for the timing gear and the balancer? Where would be a good place to go to get the required machine work done to make this work. What is the approximate cost of the required machine work?

Thanks!

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 01:08AM
can and has been done. most superfarm jds have the ih crank in them. the ih crank is more reliable than the jd crank. be cheaper to build an ih motor instead.

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 02:39AM
If you want to do this, find a crank builder that has done this before. It done quite a bit, but don't be a ginnie pig

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 03:20AM
Who would you suggest I talk to about this? Would using the IH crank be better then the JD 9.0 crank? Is it stronger?

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 03:57AM
We at Sandefur Performance Fabrication can and will build you a crank for you SBJD. Call Mike at 317-371-3677.
We have installed a C-Cummins in JD.

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 04:11AM
On my post I gave the wrong telephone #. It should read 812-371-3677.

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 11:43AM
There is JD Super in NE iowa with C series crank in JD you must bore the housing bores out and move and remachine the thrust surface to fit the crank. Not sure what they did with timing gears but they were straight tooth gears and i dont know what they used for a balancer!

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 12:42PM
yeah still cheeper to build an ih motor.

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 30, 2009 04:27AM
Is all this less expensive than billet crank? Sounds like a bunch of work & you still have an OEM crank. How much stroke in the Cummins?

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 30, 2009 04:34AM
8.3 Cummins crank is 5.310 Stroke

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 12:49PM
We've been using the cummins crank in our prostock. Works great

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 27, 2009 01:30PM
Whats the advantage of the Cummins crank over the Deere crank? Are you using Cummins or Deere connecting rods?

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 29, 2009 12:46AM
The cummins crank is suppose to be alot stronger than the JD cranks. The Jd cranks will break sometimes and is prone to heatcracking easly if they get hot at all from lack of lubrication( not suppose to happen in real world) The one i saw had cummins rods and billet pistons

Re: Putting a IH or Cummins crankshaft in a SBJD??? August 29, 2009 08:23AM
How many cubes is your prostock with the cummins crank in it? I find this very interesting. I might have to look into this.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009