Run what you brung class. Discussion. November 07, 2021 11:16PM
This class i thought was super interesting,

[www.youtube.com]

This class had blown 4X4, Diesels, and a nitrous truck. The nitrous truck won the class handily but it didnt do it with horse power.

Why do you all think the class shook out like it did?

Re: Run what you brung class. Discussion. November 08, 2021 01:17AM
Huffman hooked every event ?

Re: Run what you brung class. Discussion. November 08, 2021 02:44AM
According to the rule book online, he’s allowed 27inch hitch height, compared to the blower and diesel trucks that are at 26 inches.

Re: Run what you brung class. Discussion. November 08, 2021 01:40AM
im not sure if he has or not, seen him run in a couple of them classes. He usually hooks well. My thoughts are that he is way down on power compared to the diesels and blown trucks, but has the right setup? Didnt overpower the track maybe?

Re: Run what you brung class. Discussion. November 08, 2021 05:54AM
The truck you are referring to is owned by Doug Martin. He had a very successful season. There are likely multiple reasons for this.
1) He has spent LOTS of time and effort figuring out his set up…He has run that truck for several years in order to get the correct NOS settings and timing of when to apply it during the run. He would adjust that at various tracks and venues as he got the feel for it….During some passes he would hit the NOS at 75 feet. Other times he would wait until, 150 feet or beyond. He really learned his machine and it’s capabilities. It was not without headaches tho as this at least the 4th season that he’s run this truck

2) someone mentioned that he is allowed 27” on drawbar height while all of the others are allowed 26”. This is correct but that class has had varying drawbar heights for years.

3) This year was the first time all the trucks weighed in at 7500 pounds. There used to also be variance in weight. These changes were made under the new ownership to streamline the class a bit.

All of these factors being mentioned, I will finish how I started. The Martin Team worked HARD to perfect their very unique set up. There’s no simple answer to this question. They were able to put it all together this season to be the class champion in one of the most competitive classes of 4x4 trucks on the circuit.

Re: Run what you brung class. Discussion. November 08, 2021 07:54AM
thanks for the great answers. That class is awesome to watch with the variance on vehicles/motors. I think there should be a lot more of this style hook. is it time that NTPA/PPL allow nitrous?

Re: Run what you brung class. Discussion. November 08, 2021 11:45AM
Rudd_weatherwax
thanks for the great answers. That class is awesome to watch with the variance on vehicles/motors. I think there should be a lot more of this style hook. is it time that NTPA/PPL allow nitrous?

It is interesting to watch.

The NOS truck is a tough one and as the other guy said, the puller has worked hard at developing his truck over the years and knows his setup.

Any run what you brung class has it's variables with hitch height and weight etc. to make it fair. (kinda like the ostpa blown trucks running against the heavy diesel trucks).

Ktpa (Kentuckian Truck Pullers) ran this class in the 1980s and 1990s (I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure they ran 6200 lbs. for Mod 4x4 28 inch hitch, 2wd 30 inch hitch, Mod tractor 20 inch hitch, super mod 4wd 26-28 inch hitch ) all 3 running 6200 lbs and every track was different. It was a toss up depending on the track. Some nights Open 2wd would win. Some nights a super stock 4x4 with a 360 cu. inch small block turning 10,000 rpms would win.

For a few years Russel Springs, KY had on non sanctioned 7200 lb. run what you brung class. You could make a 2wd get up and go with that set-up on that sandy track.

Re: Run what you brung class. Discussion. November 08, 2021 01:21PM
At one time, 2wd trucks could also compete in the USA East RWYB class and would be competitive and rack up wins throughout the season depending upon the pulling surface, as you mentioned. It’s certainly an entertaining class.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,624, Posts: 229,684, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,897.

Our newest member JD_8520