IH 466 Engine December 29, 2021 01:53AM
Wondering what everyone's thought on what compression would run best on a 466 3500 rpm with a box of bow GT 42 turbo? What bowl design would work best? Big bowl or stock style bowl? Looking at running long rods.

Thanks

Re: IH 466 Engine December 29, 2021 02:05AM
Depends on cam setup

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 05:56AM
Ihdad
Wondering what everyone's thought on what compression would run best on a 466 3500 rpm with a box of bow GT 42 turbo? What bowl design would work best? Big bowl or stock style bowl? Looking at running long rods.

Thanks

go to the profield thread. They should be able to help you out better with the style that you are running.

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 08:36AM
Define what you mean by “ looking at running long rods”

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 11:22AM
longer rods changes angle and keeps the piston at top dead center longer

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 12:05PM
Yes Lewis, what people fail to understand is that in order to be defined a long rod engine in a stock stroke dt466 the rods would have to be 9.375” or longer. I can’t count the number of times people have said they have a long rod engine when they used 407 or Deere rods lol. A note to the OP: long rods are a complete waste of money in that class

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 01:56PM
Long rods are not a waste of money if you like to win. Long rod motors tend to have a flatter horsepower curve on the dyno. What I mean is that a stock rod engine will possibly make similar PEAK power to the long rods but the long rod motor will have 50 hp from top to bottom and the stock rods will have 100 or more just as an example. This is where the longer rods will be better on the track.

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 02:15PM
Lol nope. But it’s a great sales pitch Grinning

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 02:35PM
???????? do you win much - or better yet even pull.

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 02:55PM
Dear plum, we win, we lose, we dyno and we learn. Just a quick educational tidbit for you to digest. Power curves are not dictated by rod length. If you find power gain in adding length to the connecting rod either your head, cam or both were wrong to begin with

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 02:41PM
Well im into garden tractor pulling now and recently won a NQS event working with a one cylinder you better have it all if a longer rod is allowed you better have it

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 03:04PM
everyone is entitled to an opinion, right wrong or indifferent, but not all are legit or meaningful, or Right in the real world,longer rod increase dwell, which increase torque, -WHICH WE ALL WANT MORE OF. P E R I O D !

Re: IH 466 Engine January 03, 2022 03:29PM
Dear plum. Torque does not come from dwell

Re: IH 466 Engine January 05, 2022 04:13AM
?
Yes Lewis, what people fail to understand is that in order to be defined a long rod engine in a stock stroke dt466 the rods would have to be 9.375” or longer. I can’t count the number of times people have said they have a long rod engine when they used 407 or Deere rods lol. A note to the OP: long rods are a complete waste of money in that class

Can you run a 9.375" rod in a stock dt 466 with no deck plate? I've talked you a few guys that said in a rpm class that said long rods work down low for torque. Could you clearance the thinker sleeve for the valves to run a smaller boe piston and not hurt the airflow?

Re: IH 466 Engine January 04, 2022 12:02AM
Ok since that got out of hand, would it be better to run a long stroke crank and a 4.165" bore over a 9" rod with a stock crank.

Re: IH 466 Engine January 04, 2022 07:14AM
No

Re: IH 466 Engine January 04, 2022 08:49AM
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? has all the answers, but no clue about reality. Dwell is a bottom feeder living in the parent's basement.TELL US O WISE ONE MORE OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE SHARE WITH US LESSER FOLKS AND SHINE THE BRIGHT LIGHT UPON US . NOITALLSEXISTINTHEIRMINDS ONLYTO CONFUSETHEMSELVES

Re: IH 466 Engine January 04, 2022 09:22AM
[ne-np.facebook.com]

Re: IH 466 Engine January 04, 2022 03:09PM
Essentially "ihdad" asked: "What's better A or B?" Seems like a legitimate question. It seems like if someone trying to respond and help but may disagree could even say something like "neither are my first choice but between the two I'd choose B because of... reasons". Amazingly, but unsurprisingly "?" answered "No". Sadly it tells you everything you need to know. I thought about deleting it because it was a pointless response but I decided to leave it to respond to it. Moral of the story, don't be a D-bag. Be useful, be helpful, be a reasonable human offer help instead of just being a jerk or just stirring the pot.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: IH 466 Engine January 04, 2022 03:38PM
Jake, the op point blank asked if a smaller bore longer stroke combination would be better than a stock crank 9” rod combination and the factual truthful answer to that question is no. So if in your opinion directly answering a point blank question with a simple answer makes me come of as a D-bag so be it. Doesn’t change the fact the answer is still no

Re: IH 466 Engine January 04, 2022 11:55PM
Explain on why "no "? Have you had experience with this combo?

Re: IH 466 Engine January 05, 2022 01:06AM
The harsh reality is that if you want a proven combo your going to have to pay for it. Nobody who has spent years developing a good recipe is going to give it away for free. You need to ask around and talk to the builders. See which ones you like and how their ideas fit your budget. There are guys that do it because they love it and guys that do it to get into your wallet, neither of which are going to give you what your really asking for free. Do you want to win, or just complete? That will be your biggest question to answer. These guys put in countless hours and dollars into developing a winning combination. A lot of builders are using different ideas on several different tractors depending on a lot of variables including your budget. Find a camp you like, develop a plan, and realize that you are not going to get the best of the best until you’ve been there awhile. It’s not good for business if you spend thousands of dollars and years of research and development on your tractor just to have it given away to the first guy who asks for it for free. There is a lot of trust involved in tractor pulling between the tractor owner and the builder/parts providers. That takes time to develop and does not come easy. I completely redid my tractor by myself after the first year of owning it, but every change I made was discussed and approved by my engine builder who I also consider my friend. Most every component was either purchased through him or he told me where to go. He knows every inch of my tractor as well as I do. I don’t shop around and I don’t discuss our set up with anyone outside his camp. I owe him that because I respect him. Build that relationship and you’ll be on the winning side of both the track and your wallet

Re: IH 466 Engine January 05, 2022 01:18AM
Well, I plan on building my own engine and I'm building my own tractor. Right down to the frame rails. I'm not asking for secrets; I'm just wondering if people have tried these combos before I spend money and find out it sucks.

Re: IH 466 Engine January 05, 2022 02:13AM
Ihdad I respect your wanting to build your own tractor. I do use a well know engine builder and puller to build mine. It amazing how much information that a case of beer will ge5. I am more than willing to have an expert help me with education. It has saved me much money and time not reinventing the wheel. Good luck with your build and I am looking forward to seeing videos of your tractor running.

Re: IH 466 Engine January 05, 2022 03:33AM
IHdad, severe valve shrouding limits airflow.

I applaud your desire to do it yourself so in an effort to be helpful and supportive I’m going to leave you with this advice to help you along your journey. Plan to fail, plan to try things that don’t work and when they don’t work as you think it should learn why and try again. There are no shortcuts to success every piece of your puzzle must be designed to fit and work with every other piece. Best of luck and don’t give up

Re: IH 466 Engine January 05, 2022 04:05AM
Tomah winner

Thanks

go to the profield thread. They should be able to help you out better with the style that you are running.

With thread are you talking about? There's a couple of them.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,778, Posts: 229,951, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,035.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009