Cables January 18, 2022 03:44AM
Having split a block myself my new approach is to save as many parts as possible,the hood is cheap.i would use the 2 3/8 cables between cylinders 1-2 with the 4 inches of slack.then between cylinders 2-3,3-4,4-5,5-6 using 1 3-8 cable.this would save the turbo,both manifolds,valve cover and rocker assembly from potential damage,the head also.my thought is it would keep the turbo from hitting the ground with the weight of the other parts behind it.anyone see anything wrong with this ??

Re: Cables January 18, 2022 05:42AM
What are you going to put between the cables and the valve cover to keep the cables from hitting it?

Re: Cables January 19, 2022 06:14AM
I think the NTPA used to mandate 2 ,3/8 cables on a 6 cyl engine but then prohibited the second cable to deflect the parts away from the driver.

Re: Cables January 20, 2022 11:03PM
All the squabbling about the Ford that blew up isn't really getting to a sensible and reasonable fix. Three cables are needed. Two half inch cables around cylinder 1 and 2 and then cyls 3 and 4. Then, a third 3/8" cable around cyls 5 and 6. Problem may not be solved BUT, it is a common sense effort to do something logical with little engineering and it WILL help contain the engine. Why the NTPA ever removed the second 3/8" cable is beyond me. Now, they've reinstated it ?? Sounds like a Joe Biden way of governing...……...

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 12:44AM
Fan in the stands
All the squabbling about the Ford that blew up isn't really getting to a sensible and reasonable fix. Three cables are needed. Two half inch cables around cylinder 1 and 2 and then cyls 3 and 4. Then, a third 3/8" cable around cyls 5 and 6. Problem may not be solved BUT, it is a common sense effort to do something logical with little engineering and it WILL help contain the engine. Why the NTPA ever removed the second 3/8" cable is beyond me. Now, they've reinstated it ?? Sounds like a Joe Biden way of governing...……...

Wouldn’t it make more sense to eliminate the problem area than wrap more cables around it Spinning

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 01:06AM
How ?? Reduce the HP ?? That will never happen. What's your solution to solve the problem ????????

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 02:29AM
Time, Distance, Shielding. (the fire rescue folks out there, have heard this before)

Limit the time, your in harms way. (the less pulls you attend, the safer you are) Live stream is a option here.

Distance, Hard to accomplish indoors, other than eliminating the box seats.

Shielding, So that leaves us with, a venue and or the pulling vehicle. The pulling vehicle, is getting beat up enough in other posts, so lets stick to a venue.

2 options are both available, Chain link fence and Hockey rink glass, the chain link might be better with large parts and pieces, The Hockey glass, might be better with the small parts and pieces. It could also help with splash, of fuel and hot oil.

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 02:33AM
eliminate the use of oem components would seem the logical next step

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 04:16AM
You keep saying to eliminate OEM components,

How are you defining OEM component? Any company that makes a component is the OEM for their component. So if I build an engine from scratch, I am the OEM, so it would not be legal??

How do you guarantee that a non-OEM component is good enough or necessarily better than an OEM component? The only way to know is to perform component analysis and to do destructive testing.

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 04:53AM
So your saying by going from cast to billet block isn't stronger? or going to a hqd rear end over cast isn't stronger? or profab/Atlasmax transmission over cast isn't stronger?
Because that is what he is talking about with OEM.

Lets Ask Prostock and Super Stock guys what they think. Eye Rolling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2022 04:58AM by Oly.

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 04:55AM
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 04:59AM
My response is to RCP who apparently doesn't know what oem means.

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 02:53PM
I know what OEM means, the companies you mention are great companies developing new equipment, which is great. The fallacy is assuming that eliminating OEM components will eliminate parts launching into the crowd. The sport will keep demanding more power and the new stuff will eventually fail.

At least I have the guts to post my name and where I live, people making inflammatory statements and insulting others intelligence under a pseudonym is chicken.

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 08:35PM
Leon
That is what I was suggesting in the previous thread and I believe it would work ,nobody wanted roll cages years ago either but look at the lives they’ve saved just in the past few years

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 06:15AM
RCP
You keep saying to eliminate OEM components,

How are you defining OEM component? Any company that makes a component is the OEM for their component. So if I build an engine from scratch, I am the OEM, so it would not be legal??

How do you guarantee that a non-OEM component is good enough or necessarily better than an OEM component? The only way to know is to perform component analysis and to do destructive testing.

A couple other posters seem to have addressed your middle comment well enough so I’ll address your last one.

Analysis and destructive testing are being conducted as we speak and has been over the last several years. Currently the results have shown that the current popular platform of recast engine blocks(e burg/d&r) have shown they are capable of handling much higher torque and horsepower levels than 70’s oem designs being used today. Chaos(and I’m certain there are others in the works) are going to set the bar even higher with their billet block programs. The most likely failure in the all billet design as far as launching parts will be fastener failure. I am in no way saying any performance based sport will ever be risk free. However I am saying using a component that in stock form designed to harness 200-250 hp then removing structural integrity to achieve 3000hp and climbing is fairly self explanatory for most

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 06:33AM
period or no name poster, - you must live in a perfect world, -guess again -it is not that way ever. If it is not the block, something , will fly somewhere,

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 07:00AM
We have all had some time now to think about a solution to limit parts being thrown, and we might have reached the limitations and effectiveness of cables to contain these events. As an additional means of maybe containing the parts better, what if we had 2 pieces of moly tubing bent into a “u” encapsulating the top of the engine. Have it bolted with gussets and good fasteners solid to the frame on each side. Have one near the front of the engine and one near the #5 or so, and could even tether those to the frame to keep them from being launched outward, and also use those as well to hold a additional shield up to the bottom of the cylinder head.
This is something I’ve thought about and came up with, feel free to criticize or critique, but we gotta start somewhere.

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 08:23PM
Leon
We have all had some time now to think about a solution to limit parts being thrown, and we might have reached the limitations and effectiveness of cables to contain these events. As an additional means of maybe containing the parts better, what if we had 2 pieces of moly tubing bent into a “u” encapsulating the top of the engine. Have it bolted with gussets and good fasteners solid to the frame on each side. Have one near the front of the engine and one near the #5 or so, and could even tether those to the frame to keep them from being launched outward, and also use those as well to hold a additional shield up to the bottom of the cylinder head.
This is something I’ve thought about and came up with, feel free to criticize or critique, but we gotta start somewhere.
This is what I was suggesting in the previous thread

Re: Cables January 21, 2022 02:44PM
So what happens when those parts break? And they will break.

Re: Cables January 22, 2022 01:19AM
One of the biggest issues with the cabling system used is that the cable clamps will not hold. Having worked around cranes and picking equipment you learn this quickly. The old boys would use the term “ You never saddle a dead horse”. The meaning of that is that you do NOT put the saddle of the clamp on the dead end or the tail end of the cable. The saddle needs to be placed on the live end of the cable. Most NTPA tractors have a cable with dead ends. The fix to the cabling system would have a loop on each end of the cable with a screw type Cleves hooking the ends together. After using the same cable for years installing and removing clamps the cable also becomes compromised and start to unravel. I believe there will be more changes to come with the cable rule. Keep in mind that the cable needs to keep the driver in mind by flipping it forward and keeping it from launching. Too much cabling may also be a hazard as well.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,700, Posts: 229,800, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard