Fuel testing need help January 21, 2022 05:19AM
So, I went out and bought a brand new Digatron fuel tester. Along with the tester, I got calibration fluid with it (Cyclohexane). In the directions, It say's to calibrate to -75 Dielectric and 0 on conductivity. After doing this I compared it to one that was sent to one of the organizations for calibration. It read a lot higher. Was told the cyclohexane was for cleaning only and that they use airplane fuel to calibrate. So, my questions are.

1. What does PPL and NTPA use to Calibrate fuel tester and what numbers do they calibrate to.
2. Do both organizations use same calibration process?
3. Pretty sure both are at 150 Dielectric now. What is the conductivity limit? This is the number that makes power. Directions say any positive number indicates additives added. Would like to know both reading limits for both organizations.

I've talked to different reps from classes and organizations. All had different answers. Would like to have some limits and calibration standards set.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Fuel testing need help January 21, 2022 07:14AM
With so many solutions available and chemicals to hide, alter and increase combustion, a simple in the field test is of little use, too many variables, too mush clutter dirt, temp changes, contamination and ect, cleanliness is of outmost importance, pores in the plastic, (use glass), and this sort of test can only tell certain things, not what the fuel is, add a little bought at the pump fuel and guess what, the needle goes crazy, -with public available fuel, so what good is the test in reality. If the claibration is not correct, or the person handling it, means little, I have them use Styrofoam cups and if it melted the fuel was thought to be illegal. ???? Just like radar detectors, if you can make it, then they can make something to screen it out.

Re: Fuel testing need help January 21, 2022 09:12AM
I get there is all kinds of things you can hide. I also realize you have to use clean glass. I too liked the cup deal. I’m not arguing that a bit. But PPL and NTPA set standards of 150 Dielectric. It doesn’t matter weather I like it or not, that’s what it is. The tester has two digital readings ,Dielectric and Conductivity. It may not be perfect but at least there’s some kind of limits. Just would like to know a basic calibration standard and Conductivity number.

For example B100 hits up in the 200’s Dielectric but only about 2 on Conductivity. But if you cut with Diesel then add some Cetane boost you can get under 150 but the conductivity numbers begin to climb.

I just want to know if both organizations are going to calibrate like directions say or to something else. Also what is the limit on Conductivity. I know both are using the same instrument to test fuel. Just tell us what they do to calibrate and what limits to stay under.

Re: Fuel testing need help January 21, 2022 09:36AM
To Confused shoot me a message or call me , I can give you our head Tech officials number maybe give you your answers , because we use this test too.

David Runkle class rep for Badger State LLSS class. 815-821-4686

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009