Repairing Cracked / Split Tires February 01, 2022 07:23AM
There are some good looking 20.8 x 38 tires in the for sale ads, that have quite a few stress cracks or perhaps dry rot.

Is there a repair for these defects? Perhaps an epoxy or caulking that will stay in the defects?

Re: Repairing Cracked / Split Tires February 01, 2022 10:26AM
Think about how much flex and "GIVE" in the tire face, sidewall and lugs when used hard, road usage or what ever, if the tire is to be used - most anything not chemically or heat bonded will most likely fail very soon. The outer layer is not a strength part of the tire.I have been around pulling for more than 40 yrs. have witnessed NOS tires blow sitting, but never a severely checked, or cracked tire fail, look at the dozens of BFG Power Savers that are used in high HP situations and we don't see many if any failures. I personally would not worry unless the cracks were 1/4 inch or more. Use at your own discretion. I cut some tires with a hot knife and unwittily cut too the casing in a few rough spots, I put a good grade of sealing Silicone over the spots, with 800HP it stayed for ten hooks so far.On the Vintage snowmobile site ,there is a post about fixing track lugs that were torn,will try to post link, and info.Several people offered advice, AMAZING MARINE GOOP, E6000, windshield urethane,3M or Sika Flex
[youtu.be]

Re: Repairing Cracked / Split Tires February 01, 2022 01:15PM
you can get Shoe Goo at walmart in shoe department and it will stay on the tire and the only color walmart carries is clear but if you really want to you can get Shoe Goo in black on ebay or amazon the clear is about $5 and the black is about $6 a tube you should rub it in cracks with rubber or vinyl gloves as if you get it on your hand it is a problem

Re: Repairing Cracked / Split Tires February 02, 2022 02:03AM
Flexane 80 made by Devcon. It isn’t cheap & it takes a little while to prep the tire correctly but it will hold up. BTW... $2000 is too much for those tires.

Re: Repairing Cracked / Split Tires February 03, 2022 12:09PM
That's a $500 set of tires.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,628, Posts: 229,690, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520