Spray foam February 21, 2022 04:44AM
Does anyone have any recommendation's on what spray is the best for a tractor rearend that doesn't soak up oil

Re: Spray foam February 21, 2022 07:51AM
Don't do it. There is better ways to accomplish that. The next time you work on the tractor it is miserable. Even with a splash pan but all the foam is saturated and in all the bearings, snap ring groves, gears etc

Re: Spray foam February 21, 2022 10:51AM
Yah, I saw that in a friends tractor and put my foam,most of it anyway,in plastic bottles and put thin aluminum around them and bolted the group to the housing using a stud from rear cover,then filled in the areas around the jugs so it is secure, movement is what grinds the foam up, and the oily cast can't be cleaned well for foam to adhere

Re: Spray foam February 24, 2022 12:20AM
Get the "Great Stuff" brand from Lowes/Home Depot. Use the "Big Gap Filler" black bottle, I believe it says 3" on the can. Clean the case thoroughly and it'll hold fine. Spray the layer down and check on it after an hour when it expands/sets up. Shake the can before using it like the directions say, and try to keep it held upright since it's aerosol - I didn't have much luck with using part of a can - then reusing it a couple hours later (the consistency inside the can changes). Take your time with it and wait a few hours between spray coats. When it's done right, it will be hard and sealed, not tacky. Consider using jugs/plastic/aluminum in places to keep the foam from expanding into areas you don't want (like into a bearing or gears).

Re: Spray foam February 24, 2022 10:31PM
What might be the reason for doing this? Just Curious?

Re: Spray foam February 24, 2022 11:05PM
The foam takes up space where oil would be,the foam is lighter than oil.

Re: Spray foam February 25, 2022 03:36AM
Patches- Very cool, thanks for the response. I never would have thought of such a thing!

Re: Spray foam February 25, 2022 06:59AM
Wasnt there some pics on here years ago of a foamed in rear ??

Re: Spray foam February 25, 2022 01:06PM
Some fill with foem and let the gears cut it out

Re: Spray foam February 25, 2022 05:50AM
4lb closed cell foam 2gal kit

I used this in a Rockwell 106 housing went from 5 gal to 2.5 gal ..... preheat the housing with heat gun or space heater 80 degrees or more helps expand the foam alot more ...

Re: Spray foam February 25, 2022 01:11PM
Also did this to a 106 housing, Used a industrial, closed cell, 2 part foam they used in Milk coolers. Worked fine. Metal needed to be clean and a ruff surface.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520