atlas clutch weights March 19, 2022 12:05PM
How many clutch weights are some of you running on a 3 disc atlas slipper clutch. We have 8 weights total with 4 on each bolt and still launches pretty hard at 4500. Would it help to go down to 6 and which ones to take off. Would like to come out a little easier but don't want to take too many off where it will slip. This is not a spring assist slipper. Thanks

Re: atlas clutch weights March 20, 2022 02:55AM
anyone want to share what they run as far as weights per finger.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 20, 2022 03:42AM
I run same number of weights and come off the line over 5000 rpms nice and easy. I would look at leverage on your clutch. I just slow inch the petal out. You do the slipping by how you release the clutch.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 20, 2022 04:56AM
You tell em Tommeee Boy !!! Did you get a new chassis? It is hard to slip the clutch when as a young boy learning to drive the farm equipment we were told to never slip it. I have one and try to come out at a certain rpm, but my mind overtakes the foot sometimes.I go by sound and feel.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 20, 2022 10:15AM
Paul same chassis just put on diet. I also go by feel and sound as to when to turn loose.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 20, 2022 12:08PM
It loads hard at 4500 no matter how you try to slip it and would like to get to 5. Have 8 weights on each finger 4 on each bolt and thought about going to six. Just don’t want it to slip on the other end. Nothing like the crower we had years ago so not our first time with a slipper clutch. Just thought someone would have some input

Re: atlas clutch weights March 20, 2022 01:49PM
What do the folks at Atlas tell you?
Oh, before you call, be ready to tell them how much air gap you are running.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 20, 2022 02:18PM
Honest advice
It loads hard at 4500 no matter how you try to slip it and would like to get to 5. Have 8 weights on each finger 4 on each bolt and thought about going to six. Just don’t want it to slip on the other end. Nothing like the crower we had years ago so not our first time with a slipper clutch. Just thought someone would have some input

It sounds like you are having the same problem that we are having. Is everything true and straight in the assembly? Floaters, shields, etc.? We have a crower slipper. Shouldn't be much difference between an atlas and a crower. I didn't have any problem with lighting ours until I went to the component chassis. But when I went to that, it changed the leverage. I took it apart this winter and found a LOT of warpage in everything and that's probably because of the changing that we did. I need to get to 5 also in order for it to light. 4500 was about the max it would get to after we made the chassis change. I had to slip the clutch 30 to 50 feet after it got to 4500 rpm in order for it to light because before it would light off the line at 5000. I am running 6 on mine.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 21, 2022 10:12AM
Thanks. Just was concerned going down to six weights since it isn't a spring assist pressure plate. Everything is good and fairly new and have a good leverage made pedal so that isnt it either. We started out with 10 weights and couldn't get to 4 without it engaging. Went to 8 and is pretty consistent at 4500. air gap is maintained at .090

Re: atlas clutch weights March 21, 2022 12:05PM
Just curious about how the chassis change would change engine "LITE" rpms. and or clutch engagement, if it was installed the same and correct, chassis didn't make parts warp, heat did that little amendment.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 21, 2022 02:52PM
wonder
Just curious about how the chassis change would change engine "LITE" rpms. and or clutch engagement, if it was installed the same and correct, chassis didn't make parts warp, heat did that little amendment.

Because it changed the leverage of the clutch PEDAL when I went to the component chassis a BUNCH in relation to the clutch can vs. the clutch HOUSING on the old cast chassis. Yes heat did do that and another thing was the throw out bearing collar was not made correctly. I didn't find that out until I took everything apart.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 22, 2022 12:21AM
Is it possible that the cross shaft or arm are are flexing? They would be different from your old chassis too.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 22, 2022 02:29AM
Deere Puller
Is it possible that the cross shaft or arm are are flexing? They would be different from your old chassis too.

I don't think so. The cross shaft and fork are both Crower also. BUT it's funny you say that is because the very first thing we found was the bolt that holds the fork to the shaft was broke. So we got that fixed and was told it was ok to weld the 2 together after we put the new bolt in. Bolt was grade 8 but only 5/16". That probably started the warpage but after that is when we found the throwout bearing was loose on the collar. I think that was part of the problem because once in a while when I backed up to the sled, when I would slowly release the clutch the tractor would lunge quickly like there was no in between slowly releasing and popping it. I think the throw out bearing was actually hanging up on the collar.

Re: atlas clutch weights March 22, 2022 12:09PM
honest advice
Thanks. Just was concerned going down to six weights since it isn't a spring assist pressure plate. Everything is good and fairly new and have a good leverage made pedal so that isnt it either. We started out with 10 weights and couldn't get to 4 without it engaging. Went to 8 and is pretty consistent at 4500. air gap is maintained at .090

I guess I should have asked what weight class are you running? I am light super and if you are heavier yes in your original post it might be of concern how many more you would take off. Also, I have a 4 disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2022 02:46PM by Supertiquer.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,642, Posts: 229,708, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520