Ford Dual Power April 19, 2022 01:41AM
Hey guys i am building a ford TW20 pulling tractor and it has dual power i should be make 5500-700 hp my question is how good are these units? Will it hold up like an international TA? does anyone make an aftermarket for higher horsepower? I really only want to go into the transmission once that is why I am asking, also you don't see many fords out there so it is hard to find someone who knows. thanks for any info

Re: Ford Dual Power April 19, 2022 01:26PM
Lots of Fords in Pennsylvania. Call Forrester Farm Equipment Chambersburg PA they have whole shop full.

Re: Ford Dual Power April 20, 2022 12:47AM
Ford's dual power seems to hold up better than a IH TA.... with that said it does have its limits.... personally mine gave up around that hp range your looking at

Re: Ford Dual Power April 20, 2022 02:23AM
See that is where i am at right now do i tempt the fates and run it till it gives out or do the work now and have peace of mind.

Re: Ford Dual Power April 20, 2022 05:34AM
Definitely do the work and have piece of mind. There's a couple Fords running Battle of the Bluegrass Hot Farm and they down shift the odd time. Making some serious power too. From my experience, building a good strong powertrain capable of handling more power than you're looking to make, is absolutely worth it. Prevent any reason to go back in there. Obviously going to cost you, but as you said, the piece of mind, and being able to throw on some weight and pull a heavier class and not have anything to worry about. Build it once. (ideally lol)

Re: Ford Dual Power April 25, 2022 02:38PM
The factory dual power will handle the horsepower the original poster will achieve on their setup given they use the heavy duty sealing rings and the newer clutch disks, always pre soak the clutch pack before reinstalling.
Yes, start out in the high side and shift down at the end. The design can be improved to handle over 1000 horsepower and well over 2000 ft lbs of torque and up shifting is possible. The clutch pack is not the weakest point, it's the hollow input shaft. There are ways to speed the shift up or slow it down depending on your setup. Modifying certain things will improve several aspects of the dual power and increase the amount of hooks that it will handle as well as improve clutch life between having to replace them. Good luck on improving your tractor. Shawn

Re: Ford Dual Power April 20, 2022 01:02PM
The Dual Power will handle alot of abuse has long as your down shifting problem they wont take the abuse up shifting. so your good if you can come out on the high side of whatever gear your running.

Re: Ford Dual Power April 20, 2022 01:38PM
I'm not an expert with them but fyi, haven't found any upgraded parts available. I was told when you need to go from a 2 disc to a 3 disc to remove it. My HP is estimated lower than your number but I was running road gear @10k lb. and downshifting no issues. As they said, use your clutch and come out on high side. I do run a liquid filled psi gauge, I believe that ensuring your psi is at spec is important. Let us know what you find. The underdrive plates had some wear, I just replace them and all sealing rings. There are 2 different thickness underdrive plates, change was made around TW series?? Newer plates are a bit thicker, maybe they hold more???

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,688, Posts: 229,793, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member Jason