Is WPI needed anymore? April 27, 2022 05:13AM
The NTPA website says "World Pulling International, Inc. has managed the National Tractor Pullers Association for more than 30 years. WPI is a stockholder's company that not only handles the business affairs of the NTPA, but also includes a marketing department and a publications division.

A staff of 15 dedicated professionals work in the Worthington, Ohio headquarters or from a satellite office. The other ingredient in making an event successful includes hundreds of workers and trained volunteers essential in producing an NTPA sanctioned event.

Even though both boards have unique aspects to their function to the business of professional truck and tractor pulling, they work together...
"

My understanding is WPI was formed in the mid '80s when NTPA was (or almost was) bankrupt. After 30+ years, is WPI really needed?
What would be the real world impact if WPI dissolved and NTPA handled it's affairs?

1 additional random observation-
"World Pulling International," besides being a redundant name (think 'American Association of Dodgeball of America' if anyone saw the comedy movie Dodgeball with Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn) is a misnomer.
Ever since a certain TWD puller's incident crossing the border to St. Hyacinthe over a decade ago, NTPA no longer sanctions events outside the U.S. Perhaps when it was formed there were dreams of having a true international group, but the U.S. and Europe would have to do a lot of mutual compromising to ever agree on rules and class weights. I don't see that happening.

Also, there is pulling in Australia and Brazil, but nowhere near the level of North America and Europe. One can go to youtube and find lots of Indian tractor pulling, but in India they hook 2 tractors together and do a tug-of-war instead of pulling a sled.

Who will be the first puller to build a Pro Stock with Mahindra sheet metal?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2022 05:41AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 27, 2022 08:03AM
The Original Michael
The NTPA website says "World Pulling International, Inc. has managed the National Tractor Pullers Association for more than 30 years. WPI is a stockholder's company that not only handles the business affairs of the NTPA, but also includes a marketing department and a publications division.

A staff of 15 dedicated professionals work in the Worthington, Ohio headquarters or from a satellite office. The other ingredient in making an event successful includes hundreds of workers and trained volunteers essential in producing an NTPA sanctioned event.

Even though both boards have unique aspects to their function to the business of professional truck and tractor pulling, they work together..."

My understanding is WPI was formed in the mid '80s when NTPA was (or almost was) bankrupt. After 30+ years, is WPI really needed?
What would be the real world impact if WPI dissolved and NTPA handled it's affairs?

1 additional random observation-
"World Pulling International," besides being a redundant name (think 'American Association of Dodgeball of America' if anyone saw the comedy movie Dodgeball with Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn) is a misnomer.
Ever since a certain TWD puller's incident crossing the border to St. Hyacinthe over a decade ago, NTPA no longer sanctions events outside the U.S. Perhaps when it was formed there were dreams of having a true international group, but the U.S. and Europe would have to do a lot of mutual compromising to ever agree on rules and class weights. I don't see that happening.

Also, there is pulling in Australia and Brazil, but nowhere near the level of North America and Europe. One can go to youtube and find lots of Indian tractor pulling, but in India they hook 2 tractors together and do a tug-of-war instead of pulling a sled.

I want to see a pro stock with versatile hoodwork, since they are kind of popular in the U.S, but nobody uses them.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 27, 2022 12:39PM
Versatile is Russian owned

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 27, 2022 02:10PM
Tomah winner

...and a lot of other dumb stuff with tractors and post videos if them doing it so the rest of the world can "see" their a bunch of idiots.

.....again, probably come out of India........lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2022 02:13PM by JDpowershift.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 27, 2022 11:27AM
NTPA will never exist again as it’s own entity. Under the dark of night and without a vote from the member states then President of NTPA Loy Thomas and then WPI CEO David P. made a back room deal that sealed NTPA’s fate forever. There used to be two sets of financials one for NTPA and one for WPI and NTPA was slowly paying off its debt and was going to be its own entity again. On that fateful winter night of December 04 or 05 Loy Thomas signed the NTPA over to WPI in perpetuity meaning NTPA would never stand on its own two feet again. It was around this same time you started to see the mass exodus of member states, it started before then but was a huge reason for OSTPA leaving. I’m not sure the move was even legal as a vote for perpetuity by the NTPA member states never even took place, it was a back door deal that forever solidified the DPS way of doing things and the good ole boys club we have all come to admire so deeply. (Yes that admire part is sarcasm) It was at this same winter meeting DPS stood up and while not verbatim basically said any decision is a business decision and WPI calls the shots now.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 28, 2022 06:06PM
OH1979er
NTPA will never exist again as it’s own entity. Under the dark of night and without a vote from the member states then President of NTPA Loy Thomas and then WPI CEO David P. made a back room deal that sealed NTPA’s fate forever. There used to be two sets of financials one for NTPA and one for WPI and NTPA was slowly paying off its debt and was going to be its own entity again. On that fateful winter night of December 04 or 05 Loy Thomas signed the NTPA over to WPI in perpetuity meaning NTPA would never stand on its own two feet again. It was around this same time you started to see the mass exodus of member states, it started before then but was a huge reason for OSTPA leaving. I’m not sure the move was even legal as a vote for perpetuity by the NTPA member states never even took place, it was a back door deal that forever solidified the DPS way of doing things and the good ole boys club we have all come to admire so deeply. (Yes that admire part is sarcasm) It was at this same winter meeting DPS stood up and while not verbatim basically said any decision is a business decision and WPI calls the shots now.

Ya know.... there are always 3 sides to every story. His side, their side, & the truth. I'm not saying you're completely right or wrong, but there's more to the story that I was always told from my uncle.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 28, 2022 10:46PM
Mr. Thomas

As it appears from you remarks you seem to have another side of the story. So what is your side? You seem to not really dispute OH1979er remarks and besides that why does there need to be a big cover up about it? It is a given that DPS was not the best thing for NTPA, but he sure did make WPI.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 29, 2022 03:17AM
So What is it
Mr. Thomas

As it appears from you remarks you seem to have another side of the story. So what is your side? You seem to not really dispute OH1979er remarks and besides that why does there need to be a big cover up about it? It is a given that DPS was not the best thing for NTPA, but he sure did make WPI.

How about you start by signing your real name to your post...

? April 29, 2022 05:06AM
Do you care to divulge? Many of us were there and the guy who didn’t sign his name at least addressed you with respect.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 30, 2022 02:52AM
Mr. Thomas Sir

Maybe your third party story is not as accurate as you wish and thus you do not desire to leave your name to the story. That way you can plead the 5th. As to what my name is, does not matter. I treated you with respect not a bunch of hot air.

Thank you

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 27, 2022 07:59PM
The Original Michael
the U.S. and Europe would have to do a lot of mutual compromising to ever agree on rules and class weights. I don't see that happening.

Starts with the fact, that there are different legal systems (even within Europe).
Here in Germany it's "fulfill safety standards, set by certified people". We had situations where the cops showed up, teched some tractors, and wanted to talk to the "certified engineer with Bachelor's degree in charge for the tech inspection at the pull".

But then - there is no suing war over stupid amounts of money after an accident if everything went according to the rules. Hospital costs are covered anyways.
If you hurt yourself on your own tractor, there is also nobody to sue/blame but yourself. That's part of the story, why roll cage rules here are different. It's your bloody own stupidity if it's not strong enough. No need for an SFI sticker.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2022 08:01PM by Sascha.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? April 30, 2022 04:24AM
Look at the new board of directors on NTPA page For WPI Things are gunna change "Buddy"

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? May 03, 2022 05:52AM
Some thoughts:
NTPA was without funds and sponsors in the late 1990's. WPI was formed as the business end pulling, handling all income and sponsorships. NTPA was the rule making body. PERIOD. The Cope/Skoal days saw KENDALL MOTOR OIL, CHEVROLET TRUCKS, as sponsors of NTPA pulling, but the sponsorships were all SIGNED and administered by WPI. Anything to due with money=WPI....anything with pulling rules ONLY NTPA. NTPA had NO Signed sponsor contracts or even a check book. WPI is still relevant today because it manages and administers the membership program (NTPA participants) and provides the function for NTPA Rules making.
The NTPA BOARD has zero control over the WPI.
Some member states left in the early to mid 90's for lots of different reasons. However, during that time no single group (membership or other pulling promotional body) had any more effect on pulling than WPI. By the mid 90's USHRA, ATPA, OSTPA, Illinois and Iowa all found their niche in the pulling world.

Present day WPI/NTPA is run and managed by a group of less than 10 full time staffers. When people ask what WPI NTPA should be doing now, my answer is hire more people.....marketing, social media, tech services, administration, are just some of the areas in a modern day sanctioning body.
The current staff of WPI has been solid in their work keeping the membership association going on a day to day basis. The staff cant just go spend 72,860 dollars on some project. The staff reports to the WPI Board. So yes, the WPI is important to pulling, just as NTPA is. The business and the brand working together to continue the unique all American Motorsport of Truck and tractor pulling.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? May 03, 2022 06:05AM
Doc
Some thoughts:
NTPA was without funds and sponsors in the late 1990's. WPI was formed as the business end pulling, handling all income and sponsorships. NTPA was the rule making body. PERIOD. The Cope/Skoal days saw KENDALL MOTOR OIL, CHEVROLET TRUCKS, as sponsors of NTPA pulling, but the sponsorships were all SIGNED and administered by WPI. Anything to due with money=WPI....anything with pulling rules ONLY NTPA. NTPA had NO Signed sponsor contracts or even a check book. WPI is still relevant today because it manages and administers the membership program (NTPA participants) and provides the function for NTPA Rules making.
Some member states left in the early to mid 90's for lots of different reasons. However, during that time no single group (membership or other pulling promotional body) had any more effect on pulling than WPI. By the mid 90's USHRA, ATPA, OSTPA, Illinois and Iowa all found their niche in the pulling world.

Present day WPI/NTPA is run and managed by a group of less than 10 full time staffers. When people ask what WPI NTPA should be doing now, my answer is hire more people.....marketing, social media, tech services, administration, are just some of the areas in a modern day sanctioning body.
The current staff of WPI has been solid in their work keeping the membership association going on a day to day basis. The staff cant just go spend 72,860 dollars on some project. The staff reports to the WPI Board. So yes, the WPI is important to pulling, just as NTPA is. The business and the brand working together to continue the unique all American Motorsport of Truck and tractor pulling.

Purely a curiosity question. Why don't they combine as one? I know PPL is actually two separate orgs too. My checks come from a different business than PPL.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? May 03, 2022 11:48AM
TripleAlphaProcess

Some thoughts:

Purely a curiosity question. Why don't they combine as one? I know PPL is actually two separate orgs too. My checks come from a different business than PPL.

There aren't really 2. NTPA is the brand, it is wholly owned by the WPI. Think, Budweiser and Anheuser-Busch.

Re: Is WPI needed anymore? May 04, 2022 08:42AM
Hopefully PPL, they've done more for the puller than ntpa ever has and aint been around as long, already past them up, ntpa is so far behind they think their in the lead !!!

SMH May 03, 2022 03:43PM
Doc
Some thoughts:

Doc,
Your history is way off and the best thing for you to do is stick to the mic. NTPA went bankrupt twice. Once in the 70’s at which point debentures were sold to the pullers and they were bailed out. The second time was around 84,85 right after the Wrangler days and at the time I believe it was Dave Grimm running the show. It was at that point WPI was formed and shares were sold for $5,000 a piece. So no sir it was not the late 90’s, also as stated above there were in fact two sets of books. WPI and NTPA, NTPA was working it’s way out of debt and the original intent was they would be their own entity again. That all changed that fateful December day, in the dark of night, cold winds blowing across Ohio, at the Sheraton at the Crosswood in Worthington, Ohio that Loy Thomas without the consent of the NTPA member states signed NTPA over to WPI in perpetuity.

job posting May 03, 2022 10:55PM
[ntpapull.com]

Re: job posting May 04, 2022 07:13AM
Who will be the organization left when pulling goes to 1. PPL or NTPA

Re: job posting May 04, 2022 08:45AM
My previous post was in response to short strokes comment,was supposed to be posted whete this one is.

Re: SMH May 12, 2022 02:23AM
Thanks for pointing out the misprint. The NTPA WPI story begins in the late 1980's. I agree with you on every point. I was there and worked for NTPA, paid by WPI.
The point is WPI took over NTPA to run the sanctioning body and administer the membership organization.

Many members states weren't going to support a national membership organization, when they had quality pulls in and around their home state. Or had sweetheart dealers where the state rebated Tourism/Lottery Dollars back to the "ag based event".

NTPA did NOT have a checkbook or sponsorship agreement in "their" name.

Many agreements were in place with the "current management in charge for agreement to be full force and effect. A Canadian event was poised the take over the NTPA top spot.

I have no reason to doubt the NTPA WPI back room bs that wasted the sports time did in fact happen. But the bottom line is WPI controls every BUSINESS decision. NTPA

Re: SMH May 12, 2022 02:35AM
OH1979er

Some thoughts:

Doc,
Your history is way off and the best thing for you to do is stick to the mic. NTPA went bankrupt twice. Once in the 70’s at which point debentures were sold to the pullers and they were bailed out. The second time was around 84,85 right after the Wrangler days and at the time I believe it was Dave Grimm running the show. It was at that point WPI was formed and shares were sold for $5,000 a piece. So no sir it was not the late 90’s, also as stated above there were in fact two sets of books. WPI and NTPA, NTPA was working it’s way out of debt and the original intent was they would be their own entity again. That all changed that fateful December day, in the dark of night, cold winds blowing across Ohio, at the Sheraton at the Crosswood in Worthington, Ohio that Loy Thomas without the consent of the NTPA member states signed NTPA over to WPI in perpetuity.

WHAT YEAR was THAT?

Re: SMH May 12, 2022 11:33AM
Doc Riley

Some thoughts:

Doc,

WHAT YEAR was THAT?

1984/85 you are dead wrong on the two sets of books, there were two sets of books. That is how NTPA was paying the debt off. Stick to announcing, it’s what you’re good at.

Re: SMH May 13, 2022 12:58AM
1984/85, Mike Allen was president of the NTPA.

Re: SMH May 25, 2022 02:41AM
I'm sorry not remembering the time line, I was present from 1990's shift when NTPA didn't have a checkbook. Actually two meetings. Think Loy Thomas was NTPA president at that time. WPI experienced a takeover threat around that time, might have even been same NTPA Annual Meetings. In mid 80's NTPA would have had a checkbook and a solid base of sponsors. Was Dennis Brabec NTPA president around that time?

Re: SMH May 25, 2022 05:20AM
The info should be in the recorded minutes of the meetings,wouldnt you have access to those.shouldnt be hard to see all that were present,and how the vote went

Re: SMH May 25, 2022 09:25AM
Not really he jumps to whatever will get him on tv weather it’s atpa monster trucks whatever

Re: SMH May 26, 2022 12:41AM
Josh
Not really he jumps to whatever will get him on tv weather it’s atpa monster trucks whatever
Having been an independent contractor for Motorsports in the past, those jobs are the higher paid deals. More $ per deal less other work needed. Motorsports is a whole different game than any job you could have. Networking and pure name recognition is the name of the game. Many people may not be a fan, but you know the name. Announcers by trade have to be long winded per se like it or not. It’s like listening to the radio, to much silence and the channel gets changed. Just quite a bit of vitriol over if someone can remember exact details from something that happened 30ish years ago. Some people can’t remember what they had for dinner 2 days ago. But… Back to topic…

WPI/NTPA is as I’ve heard is financially stable as of right now. Now it’s a matter if new board members can help right the ship that has been loosing competitors. The new members aren’t timid so that will help a lot.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,685, Posts: 229,787, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason