ATI harmonic balancer. July 04, 2022 06:57AM
Wondering if any of you guys are running a ATI balancer on a DT 466 IH ? If you are have you had any problems, like the hub welding it's self to the crank? I sold my spare engine that had one on it to another puller and he couldent get the balancer off, so they cut it off with a torch. now he says the hub had welded itself to the crank, and now the crank needs repaired. Not disputing this guy at all, just wondering if this is common. He said mains and rod bearings looked normal, so that shouldent be the problem. Hub and crank was antiseized before assembly when I had it off before. 3000 rpm motor. Any suggestions guys?

Re: ATI harmonic balancer. July 04, 2022 08:20AM
Haven’t had one on a ih but did on an allis. Had the same problem, the hub would weld itself to the crank and after about two go around a with that bought a taper lock balancer. I don’t think the balancer is big enough either. Bearings would look good when this happened too.

Re: ATI harmonic balancer. July 04, 2022 09:13AM
I wondered about the size also, thanks for the feed back, guess I need to think about changing the one on my newer engine.

Re: ATI harmonic balancer. July 05, 2022 05:22AM
I know of one on a IH 360 that welded itself on the crank and had to be cut off. It was a lot of years ago, but I think the replacement got kissed with a hone and antiseized when it went back together.

Re: ATI harmonic balancer. July 05, 2022 05:35AM
We have run them for years on our engines without issue

Re: ATI harmonic balancer. July 05, 2022 06:45AM
I used to run one....The hub has to be perfect as does the crank...anti sieze is a must...build your self a puller to use every hole in the front...Really needs a taper lock hub...Also I don't think it is the right hub for a diesel...The bigger fluid balancers are better in this applicatioin (diesel pulling )

Re: ATI harmonic balancer. July 06, 2022 01:28AM
I talked to a tech guy at ATI yesterday and he said this does happen sometimes. Also said you need to measure hub and crank and fit accordingly. Also said if engine is making over 1000 hp to rebuild or replace balancer every year after season is over. So now we know the rest of the story. Rest my case your honor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2022 01:29AM by Dixie Binder.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,685, Posts: 229,787, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason