Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 14, 2022 03:27AM
Last night after the rain delay the fans at the Montgomery County Fair in Dayton Ohio were ran out of the stands and told to leave. I have never been ran out of the stands and told to while the pull is still going on. There was several Sheriff deputies telling people to leave and go home or they would be arrested for trespassing. This all happened around 10:00pm. Evadently the Sheriff deputies have never been to tractor pull before because your average pull is over between 10 and 11. The fairbourd had no clue what happened till I told one of the members. The pull continued but with no fans. I myself thought it was total BS. I have went to that fair for over 30 years now and sat there till midnight or 1:00am before. If that is the case maybe they shouldn't be having any motorsports because just about any motorsports last till 10 or 11. Just a pretty crappy thing to do when people pay to see the whole show not 15 vehicles.

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 14, 2022 04:59AM
This seems really odd, especially since they left the pull go on. I could understand it a little more if there was a noise ordinance in place or a general curfew but there is nothing in their fair book. The only mention is that the main gates close at 10:00 but like you I have been to many fair pulls where the gates are closed at a certain time but you are still wandering out of there well after that. Be interesting to know their justification.

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 15, 2022 01:10AM
I said something to a fairbourd member and they were clueless that it happened.

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 15, 2022 01:21AM
Question- what other grandstand events occur at the fair?

Are there concerts or demolition derbies? Do these go on after 10? If so, were spectators asked to leave at those events?
What about a midway? Do rides go past 10? Were food vendors around the fair selling cotton candy and corn dogs after 10? Does the fairgrounds have a hard curfew at 10?

It would have been interesting to see somebody refuse and get arrested. The charges would likely have been dropped. If not, each and every fair board member could be called to testify and if, as Pullfreek stated, they were unaware of the police action, and the police could not make a cogent argument why, it's likely the charges would be dropped.

Since this is a public fair and media would no doubt report and ask questions on why fairgoers were harassed and arrested while a grandstand attraction was still going on, I'd bet with a 95% probability the Sheriff dept would issue an apology for the misunderstanding and back off.

If fans were arrested (or threatened), then the pullers and everyone in the infield should have been also.

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 15, 2022 10:50AM
Sounds like cooler heads prevailed. I hate seeing crowds of people resist, get out their phones, and start yelling at officers. This sounds like a misunderstanding, but when people in the crowd get stupid things can escalate quickly.

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 14, 2022 08:33AM
What confuses me is that the fairboard didn't know the sheriff's were kicking people out? What kind of fairboard is MIA at their grandstand event?

---

Drunken board members? July 16, 2022 01:09AM
RYAN68
What confuses me is that the fairboard didn't know the sheriff's were kicking people out? What kind of fairboard is MIA at their grandstand event?
Ryan, the kind of fairboard members that are mia? The kind like we have at our local fair who are more concerned with partying and getting drunk than running the pull! Not saying that is the case in Dayton, but certainly happens at other Ohio fairs!

Re: Drunken board members? July 16, 2022 01:27AM
County fairs/fair boards in Ohio are entirely too politically motivated and most members only pursue their own agenda rather than the good of the whole fair itself. Just like in other forms of government (not to go off the subject or the rails) but term limits should be in place for fair board members.

Pulling is having a tough go as it is, definitely don’t need this on top of it.

Re: Drunken board members? July 16, 2022 04:21AM
Inspector 8

Ryan, the kind of fairboard members that are mia? The kind like we have at our local fair who are more concerned with partying and getting drunk than running the pull! Not saying that is the case in Dayton, but certainly happens at other Ohio fairs!

Just Sayin’

County fairs/fair boards in Ohio are entirely too politically motivated and most members only pursue their own agenda rather than the good of the whole fair itself. Just like in other forms of government (not to go off the subject or the rails) but term limits should be in place for fair board members.

Pulling is having a tough go as it is, definitely don’t need this on top of it.

Your guys fairboards must be totally different than how ours are. I'm on our fairboard and anybody can join. It does takes 2 years before you're eligible to be a voting board member, and you have to be voted on. But it's open to anybody to join. The last thing we ever want to do is kick fans out of our grandstands, no fans = no beer sold..

---

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 15, 2022 07:05AM
PullFreek, were you granted a refund?

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 16, 2022 08:51AM
This is another fine example of the police trying to push there weight around. Im all for law and order. But someone on that department should remember there oath they took to the constitution. This is why one has to take a stand for there rights. i truly hope that the fairboard gets to the bottom of this and corrects it

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 16, 2022 09:39AM
Closing time was 10 pm, [www.montcofair.com]

Fair Board President Mark Jimison said there will be no shortage of sheriff’s deputies at the Montgomery County fair this year.

[www.wdtn.com]

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 16, 2022 01:01PM
$
Closing time was 10 pm, [www.montcofair.com]

Fair Board President Mark Jimison said there will be no shortage of sheriff’s deputies at the Montgomery County fair this year.

[www.wdtn.com]

I'd be calling the sheriffs dept every freeking day until someone gave me an answer for their actions .

Re: Fans gets ran of of the stands at Montgomery County Fair In Dayton Ohio July 17, 2022 07:43AM
But they kept pulling. I have sat in downtown Dayton at pulls till 12 or 1am and nothing ever said but this there was. I will be back next and I dare them to tell me to leave.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,687, Posts: 229,790, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member Jason