Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 02:30AM
Kevin had a test pass in session 1 and had a great pass in session 4 to take 3rd place. If this is what the CC IH 1468 can do after only a couple hooks this is going to be one of the strongest Open Supers on the circuit.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 07:34AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 03:06AM
That is awesome, talk about different and sharp looking! What class does he pull? Do you know what he's running for a engine?

Re: Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 03:21AM
Nice ride - thats some LONG sheet metal. Is that an IH V8 or somethiong else?

Re: Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 04:35AM
Correct me if i am wrong I thought it was a DV550 IH built by blackbourn but I am not sure

Re: Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 04:37AM
That's an awesome looking alkie-burner, hope to see more of it in the future! Thumbs Up

Re: Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 04:46AM
I'm pretty sure it's a 903 Cummins that’s been decubed to 650. It showed a ton of potential, and should be a serious contender.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 09:22AM
Man whats up with the 1468 V-8s coming out this year? Nice looking tractor. Was a different one in Tomah running the LSS class also.

Re: Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 02:39PM
OK, I need some help understanding this one (and I'm a little behind on the current rules). How can a Cummins engine be legal in a 1468? Sully's right, these tractors had the DV-550 truck engine in them (remember they only ran on 4 cylinders under a light load!). Has the 903 Cummins been designated as a factory replacement?

Re: Photo of Kevin Campbell's "Controlled Chaos" September 03, 2009 03:20PM
If I am not mistaken it looks like the old Reborn Binder that was owner by Chris Cole?? It had a DV550 in it.
Chucky

to TM September 03, 2009 03:23PM
we must remember that in a component chassy any sheet metal works! it could be a cummins I don't know for sure

Re: to TM September 03, 2009 03:37PM
But doesn't the engine have to match the sheet metal (or an updated version of that manufacturers sheet metal)? Like I said I'm way behind on the rules

Re: to TM September 03, 2009 11:32PM
Chris Coles tractor is still in New York and running

Re: to TM September 04, 2009 01:03AM
Yes, Chris Cole’s tractor is still in NY. Chris is doing a good job with the Reborn Binder and has picked up a few wins in the NYTPA HSS this summer (Chris runs the DV550 motor). The other DV 550 I can think of is Scott Eberhardt and the Red Bull LSS.

Kevin is running a 903 Cummins in the Controlled Chaos. The rules on the National circuits allow you to run ANY ag block from that manufacturer with no specification on what sheetmetal you have to run. It’s the same reason Patrice and Pierre Beaudry can run their 903 Cummins in the Crazy Canuck. Patrice and Pierre decided to put Steiger sheetmetal on their tractor, and Kevin decided to keep his 1066 Sheetmetal.

While I like Kevin’s tractor, it shows how loose the national rules have become in some classes. It’s rules like this that really confuse casual fans, and even confuse hardcore fans. I personally think that the rules need to tighten up a bit and make sure the sport is relatable to the average fan. I personally think the engine and the Sheetmetal should match...

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: to TM September 04, 2009 02:24AM
well said jake

Re: to TM September 04, 2009 05:31AM
I think our engine and sheetmetal upgrade do match according to the rule and the intent of the rule.
BTW, congrats to Kevin on getting his package dialed in in a couple runs. It took us a couple years just to go down the track...

Patrice

Paint it Lime Green! September 04, 2009 06:33AM
I agree with you 100% (there’s a first for everything!) I was actually thinking of your tractor when I wrote the sheetmetal/engine comment, your sheetmetal quickly lets the fans know what they are seeing and it ends much of the confusion. I actually wrote the sentence “ I think there are plenty of other Steiger hoods or hoods from Articulating Case IH tractors to choose from that would make a great looking tractor” but I decided to delete it just before I posted the message.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 06:34AM by Jake Morgan.

ANY MOTOR ANY SHEET METAL!!! September 07, 2009 01:42AM
I am in favor of a rule that would allow any motor and any sheet metal. I know Jake opposes this but I would argue most fans don't care. I know there are a few purists out there and I used to be one myself, but the tractor classes are the only ones left that have motor sheet metal restrictions. I mean in the diesel truck class we have Chevy bodies with 5.9 Cummins under the hood and the average fan is more likely to know that is wrong than they are to know what is right and wrong in a tractor class. Maybe you only allow components to do this because of how motors bolt up in an ag chassis, but I no longer see it as a big deal whether or not the motor and sheet metal matches.

Re: to TM September 04, 2009 06:39AM
Patrice, If you ever decide to change the hood, I vote for making some sort of Super MTA Diesel hood, keeping the dual stacks of course. Although it would never happen and it sounds far fethced, I think it would still be cool to see. It would have to be stretched in every direction and may need to use a W-9 or 660 as a pattern, but way cool. Good project to get ready for Henry next year..haha...as that is the only place I get to see you run. No matter what, still love your machine! Keep doing what you are doing because us fans really appreciate your effort to travel to shows.

Re: to TM September 04, 2009 08:39AM
Jake: I put an X on my calendar to mark the first time we agreed on something Smiling

mmztu: Thanks for the compliment. Not certain about your hood idea project but it will be painted for next year! Not sure it will be lime green though but we'll see. We should be in Henry next year as things should be back to normal.

Re: to TM September 04, 2009 03:57PM
Jake, thanks for clearing that up for me. I agree with you on the engine and sheet metal

Re: to TM September 05, 2009 04:51AM
Thanks for all the support. Yes it is a 903 cummins. There is not much Cummins or IH in there. The only IH part is the headlight insert in the nose. I am working on getting rid of that. The Cummins is only skin deep too. I totally agree with Jake on the rules. It is pretty loose. I don't call it a 1468, just a 66 series. We did this because I believe that the only way to compete in the class is to try something different. Brent does great stuff,but I did not want the same as everyone else. Actually some of the parts are from him. We have been working on this for 2 years. Terry and Josh Blackbourn did a great job for me. I would never expect anything less. Great friends. I feel very lucky with how close we were. We actually did not change anything friday till saturday. It just never hooked to anything and we needed data to tune with.

It is a work in progress. It was a long block a week before BG. I think I had 100hrs that week and 41strait till friday night. I also had a lot of help to go along with that. There is a lot I will be changing that is cosmetic. I hope to make NFMS and should have enough time to paint it by then. Paying project tractors/motors come first.

We are all loaded up for Essex Jct. and ready to go. We will hook there and Waynesburg,PA if work allows.
Thanks Stop and check us out at the last 2 hooks.

Did Dick bated it for Jake to dissect it ? September 07, 2009 04:29AM
kevin you have an awsome machine!!!!!!!!!!! Theres nothing any more confusing about it than dt466 under any red hood nor 619 's under 6030 hoods !! you have nothing to explain to anybody. you have an awsome tractor hands down!! call it what ever model you want ! look forward to seeing it run in the future.

Re: Did Dick bated it for Jake to dissect it ? September 07, 2009 08:14AM
Kevin: Looks and runs awesome.Saw you in BG. Just clear coat it.

Patrice: Can't wait til you run NTPA again. They are the only pulls close to me in Ontario.

Re: Did Dick bated it for Jake to dissect it ? September 07, 2009 09:32AM
I agree with the just clear coat it statement. It looks awesome and different with the bare metal look, when I first saw it I thought you chose that finish.

You have a beautiful tractor,

happy pulling

Re: Still a Steiger Fan September 07, 2009 01:30PM
Well, I have to disagree a few stements... A 466 and a 414 (and 436) can swing the same crank… what’s their big difference… deck height? A 466 in a 1066 seems like a perfectly logical engine swap whether on the farm or on the track. As for the 619 replacing the 531… it’s no different than the dt466 replacement… the crank swings… it happens on the farm and on the track and I don’t think too many people get too confused.

As for Kevin’s tractor… I think it’s a great looking machine, and I think the craftsmanship on it is amazing. I think both Kevin and Patrice have the potential to completely revolutionize the Open/Unlimited Super Stock Class. I don’t blame either Kevin or Patrice for their decision to decube a big V-8, it’s one of the smartest decisions you could make for that class.

I do think there are some rules that are making the Open/Unlimited SS class more and more exotic every year. Now, I’m perfectly aware that there are fans that want the class to get more and more exotic, and that’s fine… it’s becoming the classes signature. Personally I still think the sheetmetal and the engine should match, no matter how exotic the class gets. My thought is, if the ULSS going to go exotic, don’t go half way, go 100%. The class has got plenty of IH tractors, and I think it would be pretty interesting to see a lime green Steiger hood on an Open/Unlimited SS. The Steiger Panther came with the 903 Cummins and I think it would definitely turn some heads and if done well it could look very, very cool. A Massey 4800 Series hood would be pretty cool as well (they also came with a 903). There are plenty of choices of hoods that had a 903, and there are updated versions of those tractors and would be an interesting change of pace.

I know … I know the model doesn’t exactly match but how about a Steiger Cougar hood… who knows Kevin may just get a bunch of cougar women as fans!

No matter what changes in this sport, I think the hood/sheetmetal should match the block (or only be a generation or two different). Personally, I think some classes and some organizations will eventually just allow any combination of block with and hood, and when that happens I think it will ultimately hurt that class, and that organization.

As for my father’s motives with this photo… we never discussed beforehand that he was going to post the photo, and we have never discussed why he posted the photo… the only thing I know for sure was seconds after Kevin’s fullpull in Bowling Green he called me on the phone from the other side of the track, and we were both very happy with how well it ran. We also both agreed that it still has a ton of potential.

I'm looking forward to watching the tractor get dialed-in, I just wish some of the rules would either get clarified or dialed-in.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Still a Steiger Fan September 08, 2009 09:49AM
The reason behind the 66 is because it was already on it. Yeah it is a little long but we had 10lbs of crap for a 5 lb bucket. It had to give a little. Not much real estate left even now. We end up sheeting in about 1 a year and it takes about 400 hours to do a body on the tractos to raw form. I am going to leave it alone until I have to change it. If i was to change it, W9 farmall would be next. I have been working on putting on the newer sheetmetal on tractors and like a break from it. We have done new holland ,case ih MX,and mc cormick new style bodies but I just cant bring myself to go away from the IH line for mine just yet. I guess i look at it like it is no closer to a stock new holland ,steiger,or massey than an IH 66 so it really does not make a difference. This is an unusual situation when you can basically put on any hood with this motor and be legal because so many used it. It is not like a DT that was just IH or Deere with Deere motors.

As for the paint, yes it is getting painted. It was always silver. We have something special we are going to try. Should really shine.

Re: Still a Steiger Fan/ photo from essex September 08, 2009 02:17PM
photo from essex

Re: Still a Steiger Fan/ photo from essex September 08, 2009 02:22PM
Looks like a 68 series to me, so I would go with that, since ih came with the v8, I know it was dv 550 but unless someone tells you who is gonna know. As for me I just considered it a 1568 and said it looks good.

Re: Still a Steiger Fan/ photo from essex September 08, 2009 11:42PM
Leave it a '68 Binder!! There is still a bunch of them in the field working and it adds a little more nostalga to the class .

uglyoldA had a big cube ss dv once September 09, 2009 12:06PM
how big was that motor ?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,701, Posts: 229,801, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard