IH 466 cam failure August 07, 2022 04:30PM
Hey guys I’m running a 3200 rpm 466 ih. Just put a new suits cam in back in the spring degreed it in and have maybe 8-10 passes on it and I believe it’s already wore a couple of lobes prematurely, I haven’t pulled it out yet but have checked rockers an have 2 that’s open enough to slide a pencil in between the valves an arms. It’s not a valve setting problem because now you can’t even adjust the valves to spec an even use the jam nut so not near enough lift. Just had the head off last week and checked lifters then and everything looked perfect. Valves were all set to spec and Made a couple passes this weekend and it ran amazing and now it’s popping out of the intake when I pulled off the track thinking a broke rocker or bent pushrod but neither of those. It’s a flat tappet motor with the smaller lifters but still has the factory side breather tube. No breather out of the valve cover which I see everyone else runs. I’ve read on forums where the top valve cover breathers help with better oiling in the cam area as far as getting the gasses out and upper rocker arm oiling but my question is does the side breather tube a cause of premature cam failure on these as far as oiling in there? I want to fix this problem if I have to buy another cam in the future or any opinions on what you guys may think caused this, also I know it’s a 3000 rpm cam but would the extra 200 rpm really wear it down that fast? Thank you for any input

Re: IH 466 cam failure August 09, 2022 02:24AM
Just a thought, and maybe you did, but have you checked your push rods to make sure they arent bent? The RPM wont matter on the wear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2022 02:25AM by sprayman80.

Re: IH 466 cam failure August 09, 2022 02:54AM
Did you put a chamfer on your lifters before you installed this cam? We bought a cam from Jeff and he told us to make sure we put a chamfer on the lifters or it would eat the cam lobes. After reading your post that was first thing that came to mind

Re: IH 466 cam failure August 09, 2022 02:48AM
When you installed this cam, were you sure of valve retainer to guide clearance? When I installed one, I needed to shorten the guides to provide clearance. You will need to do this especially if it is a tractor head vs. truck head. The truck heads have shorter guides. I'm thinking you may not have had clearance.

Re: IH 466 cam failure August 09, 2022 03:10PM
That’s what Jeff told us about the lifters today and that s what happened. The lifters I have wasn’t chamfered and that’s what it done.. It suck’s it’s junked the cam over it but now I know. I just put a head from Jeff on last week so hopefully it should all work together just fine now after it’s all back together .

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,657, Posts: 229,735, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,071, Posts: 225,919.

Our newest member JD_8520