Moving the cone August 08, 2022 01:51PM
Has everyone forgot that the sled cone can be moved the entire width of the track? I've been to a bunch of pulls this summer and have watched an entire class where the cone was never moved...multiple times in the night. I'm sorry but I don't want to build a road for the guy behind me. I'd rather move it and learn then play follow the leader.

Re: Moving the cone August 08, 2022 02:12PM
Yes you may do that, and it's a quick pick, either a HERO or s ZERO !!!!!!

Re: Moving the cone August 08, 2022 10:40PM
You had better stay away from indoor garden tractor pulling or any good garden tractor pulling at that.
like a bunch of sheep, where one goes they all follow.

Re: Moving the cone August 09, 2022 04:06AM
Not sure what indoor garden tractor pulls you go to or what classes you watch but my class (Pro V-Twin and Pro Outlaw) the cone gets move almost every hook unless someone builds a road on a sideline

Re: Moving the cone August 08, 2022 11:58PM
I've moved the cone before hooking and this past season the sled operator paid no attention to where I moved it and went straight back to the old spot, which was dead on the out-of-bounds line (I'd just watched 2 tractors go out of bounds on that side). I then asked if he could please move the sled over to where I had moved the cone and it seemed to have irritated or pissed him off. That was the worst hook I had all season (it was like the pan dropped 10ft sooner "wink wink"), so I won't be doing that again. Note to everyone else, don't do anything to irritate the sled operator in any way.

Re: Moving the cone August 09, 2022 12:53AM
Haha. I know an operator that might do that..... Puller1 may I ask what part of the country/state you were pulling in?

Either way it's sad and shouldn't be tolerated.

Re: Moving the cone August 09, 2022 01:15AM
It's probably for the best that I don't say my location or I may never make it past 250ft again. I'm not the only one that has noticed some fishy things going on with that sled.

Re: Moving the cone August 09, 2022 05:44AM
As a sled operator..... If you're making a big change in the cone placement, please ask someone to stand at the new cone placement & get the operators attention as he's backing down the track. When you've hooked 15-20 vehicles & nobody has done more than split tracks in the same area, the sled operator & scraper/roller drivers usually get a good little rhythm going on. So when you make a drastic move, ask a random person standing around the line to wave their arms as we're backing up & point to the new spot. We're usually not as irritable that way. On the other hand, when you wait til we're 20 feet from the line or on the line & you come up to move the cone, that is slightly annoying to me but it's part of the game.

Re: Moving the cone August 09, 2022 11:52AM
I'm just curious Logan, how hard is it to see the cone and back up to it? What if a puller is by himself and he sets the cone before the previous tractor is unhooked. Why is it so hard to just simply back up to a big orange cone? I'm sure you look back while you are backing down the track, or do you just throw it in reverse and just land where you may. We pull in Ohio mostly and Sled operators don't seem to have any issues with backing up to the cone. Just curious why its such a big deal?

Re: Moving the cone August 09, 2022 06:59PM
Well put it this way.... for some smaller county fairs, I have considered trying to attach some sort of light to the cone because there's 2 friggin 40 watt light bulbs at the 100 foot mark! Yea I always look for the cone when I back up, and I usually notice if it's been moved or not. Thats why I say, please don't do it after we're backed in or too close to swing it over, in case people haven't noticed, these 35' long things don't steer very sharp..... And speaking of looking for & paying attention to the cone, a huge pet peeve of mine is trying to get by the scraper & roller near the starting line area, headed straight for the cone, only to have some guy standing 20 feet the other way waving his arms wanting you to back up to where he's standing instead of going to the cone!

Re: Moving the cone August 09, 2022 11:06PM
I would move the cone to my desired spot and let the sled back up to it. I then moved the cone again so that my competitors didn't run in my spot. It will amaze you at how many pullers will just run where the sled backs up. I have seen more than one guy put himself at a disadvantage to my moving the cone.

Re: Moving the cone August 10, 2022 12:22AM
I get what you are saying Logan with the lighting situation. I agree with you on moving it after you are already backed in or closer than the 100 foot cone. That is inconsiderate at the very least. As for know-it-all, I've seen guys move the cone after the sled has backed in to put the following puller at a disadvantage. My answer to that is if you have to put your competition at a disadvantage just to beat them, then you are a pretty poor sport. The rules say that a puller may place the cone anywhere between the boundaries for the competitors liking, NOT place the cone where YOU WANT YOUR COMPETITION TO RUN. Just saying someone might see you do that and be compelled to teach you the doctrine of the laying on of hands!! My advice is if you can't win fair and square, then stay at home or just don't compete.

Re: Moving the cone August 11, 2022 06:45AM
I am not sure if this was directed at me, but I moved the cone as soon as the sled left the line with the vehicle before me, then I had to get back on my tractor and be ready for my hook (in the interest of not delaying the show). I am almost always alone and don't have the convenience of having someone there to wave down the sled and point at the cone. I wasn't even rude to the sled operator, I just jumped off my tractor when I saw him going back to the far corner of the starting line and asked if he could please move towards the center, where I had placed the cone. He scoffed at me and then barely moved over (still many feet from the cone). The sled slammed me hard that night and I got stopped way behind everyone else, even though I am normally right in the hunt. So, learning from the past I will just hook to the sled wherever in the h@ll the sled operator decides to place it and just do my best to keep it between the lines.

Re: Moving the cone August 11, 2022 06:27AM
move it where you want after the sled stops if i don't like the location i will move to where i want

Re: Moving the cone August 11, 2022 06:36AM
I've always thought that lots of pullers don't take advantage of this enough...it helps to test the track prior to the class and also have someone sitting in the stands watching the pulls to relay information down to the puller/crew on where to run and where to avoid...another thing that isn't taken advantage of enough is moving weights around. I have no problem with someone moving the cone right after the sled gets back to make the person behind you in the pulling order make their own decision on where to run...if they make the decision to run the same place just move it back to where they pulled last.

Re: Moving the cone August 11, 2022 08:28AM
To Puller 8,-you must be a sheep,following other's mistakes,-learn to think on your own. never read such a misinterputed post.

Re: Moving the cone August 11, 2022 02:59PM
Georgee, where in the world did you get I'm a sheep and follow anyone? I said nothing that could be taken as I do not like moving a cone once in a while. In fact I frequently move the cone to where I believe is the best shot. However I do not or have someone move the cone again for the guy behind me to mess him up. Please elaborate on where you came up with such a conclusion..

Re: Moving the cone August 13, 2022 04:57AM
Not our fault that you don't get it.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,777, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason