safety August 09, 2022 01:03PM
I dont post stuff much anymore but what do you think about a couple of new safety rules.
EZ one is I believe that the sleds should have some type of light so the guy hooking the chain can see..

Bigger one is.
I have been seeing more and more oil pan explosions. I think it maybe time for there be some panels that go from the frame to 1 or 2 inches below the oil pan with a chain, cable or type of strap from one side to the other at least at each end.

I am worried that the fans are going to get roasted. The ones right in line is our officials. Flag people

Re: safety August 09, 2022 01:40PM
NY mark SNSS
EZ one is I believe that the sleds should have some type of light so the guy hooking the chain can see..

Justin Collier has one... (:

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: safety August 09, 2022 02:02PM
Had that discussion after Fort recovery. The heat was felt past the flag pole. Had that been BG it had potential to be bad. North track the unhook guys take that fireball point blank. South track that’s past the wall. Might be time for some oil pan scatter shields even with lowest point of sump. I hate all the added shielding, but things need to be contained.

Re: safety August 09, 2022 02:03PM
Already discussions going on in the DSS competitors ranks about oil pan/crankcase burst panels similar to the burst panels on supercharged engines.

Speaking of Bowling Green August 09, 2022 02:44PM
NTPA officials, I know some of you look at this board. In the interest of safety....

How about no drag racing at Bowling Green this year? Only one track runs at a time. Hold the vehicle on the other track until the run is finished, then give the green. Won't delay the show, you're just offsetting the run by 20-30 seconds. Added benefit less idle time for the fans.

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 09, 2022 10:22PM
Must agree, would be a plus in safety without any costs. And furthermore, I recognized that it's really disturbing watching later on some video coverage of particular highlight pulls with intense close view and sound, and hearing a much louder noise from the other track. It's so freaky absurd. I really often start some of these clips and think that sounds so good, that I like to share it with a friend to explain what's great about pulling and/or particular vehicle. And then in between this fine concert went into damn @#$%& because of the rampage from the other track. This is so annoying.
Regarding the oil pans, maybe it's possible to adapt kind of a solution alike the dragster diapers.

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 10, 2022 06:33AM
The Original Michael
NTPA officials, I know some of you look at this board. In the interest of safety....

How about no drag racing at Bowling Green this year? Only one track runs at a time. Hold the vehicle on the other track until the run is finished, then give the green. Won't delay the show, you're just offsetting the run by 20-30 seconds. Added benefit less idle time for the fans.

Just curious at BG what type of safety issue does the drag racing cause? Are you worried about officials with their back turned to the action on the other track? The chance of parts flying off one track and hitting a vehicle or person on the other side? Theres a concrete barrier between the tracks so it's not like a PPL pull where they share a center line, the two vehicles are in no danger or hitting each other.

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 10, 2022 06:57AM
Running any pulling vehicles side by side ( drag racing) makes no sense. Pulling already suffers from to little action and to much down time and to not take of advantages of what 2 tracks offers makes no sense. When there is 4/5 minutes between hooks to not take advantage of two tracks is ridiculous. If the vehicles alternate then there is only 2 to 3 minutes between hooks. It's just common sense to alternate tracks.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 08:10AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 10, 2022 07:20AM
Dick Morgan
Running any pulling vehicles side by side ( drag racing) makes no sense. Pulling already suffers from to little action and to much down time and to take of advantages that 2 tracks offer makes no sense. When there is 4/5 minutes between hooks to not take advantage of two tracks is ridiculous. If the vehicles alternate then there is only 2 to 3 minutes between hooks. It's just common sense to alternate tracks.

Plus it makes it easier on the photographers. Winking

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 10, 2022 07:56AM
Dick, I have said it before, we have little to no common sense left in this country, sport or in general.

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 15, 2022 02:08AM
Dick Morgan
Running any pulling vehicles side by side ( drag racing) makes no sense. Pulling already suffers from to little action and to much down time and to not take of advantages of what 2 tracks offers makes no sense. When there is 4/5 minutes between hooks to not take advantage of two tracks is ridiculous. If the vehicles alternate then there is only 2 to 3 minutes between hooks. It's just common sense to alternate tracks.

I'd argue it's worth exploring. Another post on here talks about how to get fans excited and engaged.

Trying to remember what the last 5 tractors ran (when they're all inches between 380' and 381') is boring. No ody wants to work that hard. NHRA is instant fulfillment in heads up, one lane always wins. Circle track has a pole. Maybe pulling needs a pole for each track and real time readouts on the distance so people have something to contrast the run with.

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 10, 2022 09:10AM
As much as I like "pulling" I will concede to the argument and now recognize the sport as "racing", so set sled light,put up a tree,and put speed and e.t on a visible board,fastest e.t wins.if the association aren't willing to do that,then set sled accordingly to have the winner in the 300 to 320 foot range,and no more

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 10, 2022 03:32PM
BrandonA
Just curious at BG what type of safety issue does the drag racing cause? Are you worried about officials with their back turned to the action on the other track? The chance of parts flying off one track and hitting a vehicle or person on the other side? Theres a concrete barrier between the tracks so it's not like a PPL pull where they share a center line, the two vehicles are in no danger or hitting each other.

Thanks for the question Brandon. As you said, officials with divided attention. They won't see or hear parts flying from the other track when a tractor or blown engine(s) is at full throttle on their own track.

Also, a center concrete barrier isn't necessarily going to stop everything. Parts fly higher than 3 feet off the ground. A tire that breaks away and bounces may bounce right over a 3' tall barrier. Based on a photo from past years, the center barrier runs about 300'. If they're letting drivers run to near 400' these days, a vehicle that gets out of shape and breaks away from the sled angled inward near 300' could cross at the end of the other track past the center barrier. If another vehicle or sled happened to be there, that would not be good (I realize even without drag racing, there is a chance of this between pulling vehicle and track grooming or tow tractors).

Unlikely? Yes. However, the entire purpose of safety rules is to plan for the unlikely (extending the center barrier would eliminate the squirrelly-tractor breakaway with tires turning 100 mph w/tractor angled towards center, but not the other things). There may be additional safety issues with "drag racing" I'm not thinking of.

It's likely there will be a smart-aleck who cracks a joke about how one-in-a-million scenarios like this will never happen, or we should just wear full-body hazmat body armor firesuits with ballistic shields. One bad accident could bankrupt the sport, not to mention the awful publicity.
Also, Dick is 100% right on the show aspect. BG does a good job moving the show along, but alternating tracks adds no time to the overall show, but allows the fans to focus on just one run at a time. It gives each puller a chance to be center stage for 20 seconds and for the spectators to have undivided attention on him/her.

I enjoy drag racing and plan to be at the US Nationals sometime Labor Day weekend. However, tractor pulling is not drag racing nor should it try to be.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 03:49PM by The Original Michael.

Re: Speaking of Bowling Green August 10, 2022 03:35PM
BrandonA

You have people out in between the 2 tracks that unhook the sleds. You can’t watch both when they are pulling so far. Parts flying, fireball explosions all possible from behind them. It’s a pretty rough job to begin with.

Re: safety August 10, 2022 04:55PM
I have been hooking tractors to The Sled at my event for at least the last 15+ years. I totally agree with the idea of having a light above the hooking area on the sled to better see the hook area on the tractor, it could be wired in with the red and green lights of the sled, that when the red lights are on the front spotlight or whatever you put up there is on and then when it goes green it automatically shuts off. It is not too bad with classes that only use the one chain, but when you’re trying to hook a double chain plus the Killswitch it does get dark behind the tractor

Re: safety August 11, 2022 01:21PM
IL Ryan

If this link works, you can see Logan Thomas' sled already has a light facing downwards from the tube they put the laser reflector on. Looks like a good idea. Even if the track is too dark to see the cone, they can still see to hook up.

I have work lights on the back of the cab now too. Lol

Re: safety August 11, 2022 11:17AM
I noticed last weekend that at least 1 of the x-factor sleds has a light in the front of the buckboard

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520