8.1L in SoundGuard - 4630/4640? September 05, 2022 03:21AM
Looking for advice/pictures for repowering a 30/40 series tractor with a 8.1L Deere engine. We've done several engine swaps in the past, but this one looks to be more challenging because of the front cover, damper, water pump/thermostat housing location, water pump outlet on RH side of engine. Looking at it and doing some measuring, it looks like a 404/466 front cover, water pump, and thermostat housing can be installed on the 8.1. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Re: 8.1L in SoundGuard - 4630/4640? September 06, 2022 06:23AM
Well i can chime in a little here. I currently have a 8.1 powertech mechanical fuel in my pulling tractor. Currently has a wet clutch (soon to be remedied with a dry).

the 8.1 has the small 4bolt pattern for the frame rails

40 series cast oil pan will bolt on & allows bell house to seal for wet clutch - Need to switch oil sump pick up on oil pump

Front HYD pump - I was able to attach the front pump support to the 8.1 block but i choose to run the 8.1 balancer and serpentine belt (No a/c) so i had to get creative with the front HYD coupler

water pump was not a concern for me but i have seen two other 8.1 tractors -
4520 getting a 8.1 common rail - he cut/welded & relocated the water pump lower hose attachment to the left side of the engine
4440 4post - this was converted to a 8.1 mechanical using a different timing cover and water pump(Jeff Bahl)

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro