IH Fire rings September 07, 2022 06:12AM
Hi everyone I am rebuilding my motor and putting in new sleeves does anyone have input on fire rings? We have always ran the wire style from sealtec but I’ve heard of some guys changing over to C rings are they worth the expense?

Re: IH Fire rings September 07, 2022 06:31AM
Im not an expert in this but from what I heard it is worth the expense as you can reuse them and they tend to hold up better. Just my 0.02

Re: IH Fire rings September 07, 2022 07:49AM
Interested in the differences and positives and minuses of each of those options. Heard of c-rings never seen much information on them.

Re: IH Fire rings September 07, 2022 03:06PM
No cons that I can say. Get what you pay for.. Reusable and last a lot longer, a lot has to do with the class you run as well. More needed for a higher hp application ie 4.1 vs a hotfarm. I hope you didn’t already cut the sleeves for fire rings..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2022 03:09PM by IHRED.

Re: IH Fire rings September 08, 2022 12:39AM
I’ve ran both in my hot farm tractor, we don’t make enough boost/ cylinder pressure for the c-rings to work properly like they would in a 540 light pro or 640 4.1. I get about 25 runs out of my c-rings before they really start leaking. Cost wise your $1,000 for felpro print seal headgasket and c-rings, compared to $340 for same head gasket and fire rings. Gms also makes a rubber like headgasket that’s much cheaper and have $150 in headgasket and fire rings. Needles to say I’ll be putting new sleeves in mine this winter that are cut for fire rings. This is My experience with both of them.

Re: IH Fire rings September 08, 2022 02:18AM
Nick Thieman
I’ve ran both in my hot farm tractor, we don’t make enough boost/ cylinder pressure for the c-rings to work properly like they would in a 540 light pro or 640 4.1. I get about 25 runs out of my c-rings before they really start leaking. Cost wise your $1,000 for felpro print seal headgasket and c-rings, compared to $340 for same head gasket and fire rings. Gms also makes a rubber like headgasket that’s much cheaper and have $150 in headgasket and fire rings. Needles to say I’ll be putting new sleeves in mine this winter that are cut for fire rings. This is My experience with both of them.

Great information, answered my questions, thanks!

Re: IH Fire rings September 08, 2022 04:30AM
Used both..... IMO anything over 1200 hp should have c rings and head studs. Anything under the copper rings work great.

Re: IH Fire rings September 08, 2022 08:34AM
Anybody have any pictures of C Rings. Heard about them but never seen them,

Re: IH Fire rings September 08, 2022 09:23AM
Robert Alves
Anybody have any pictures of C Rings. Heard about them but never seen them,

From the little bit I was able to find about them(I can’t find it back now where is seen them to post a picture, smh)they appear to be a very small roll pin that is cut to the length bent to the size bore you want. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I found something on them…..it was just one thing and now I can’t find it back. Can find all you want on fire rings and o-rings but c-rings must be too new to have much information on them.

Re: IH Fire rings September 08, 2022 11:20AM
C rings have been around for decades. They are hands down the way to go. We have been running the same set for many years on our hot farm. So I disagree with Thieman. We have had just the opposite problems. Where the crush type fails once you approach 1200 hp. We have had 0 issues with the Hyper c rings and head gasket, been reusing for many years and the head has been off for other reasons multiple times over the past 8 years. Save yourself the trouble with the cheaper set up and you will be glad you did. Best of luck

Re: IH Fire rings September 09, 2022 01:23AM
I have run both in a 466 pro farm set up. For me it comes down to time in the shop. You will have to replace fore rings every year sometimes multiple times. C rings will last longer in the same environment.

The c-ring is essentially a wire spring that is wrapped 3/4 the way around in a piece of thin steel or tin bent into a C shape with the opening facing the piston, this allows cylinder pressure to expand the C shape and create a better seal against the head. More pressure=better seal.

I switched this year from fire rings to the C ring set up and I think it was worth the money. C rings lasted throughout the season. Fire rings during the season from the heat expansion cycles will slowly leak creating a parasitic pressure loss losing you power. Comes down to how much wrenching you wanna do.

Re: IH Fire rings September 09, 2022 11:14AM
There, I looked up c-ring seals and things showed up better. But c-rings appear to me to look like a role pins. Kind of a cool concept and very understandable on how it works.

Re: IH Fire rings September 11, 2022 12:06AM
Where are you getting the c-rings for a JD?

Re: IH Fire rings September 11, 2022 05:21AM
I'm sure Phil at Riverside would have them?

Re: IH Fire rings September 12, 2022 12:31AM
What do you use for a head gasket when you use the C rings? Do you have to cut grooves in the block and head to use c rings?

Re: IH Fire rings September 12, 2022 12:57AM
Dirt Boy
What do you use for a head gasket when you use the C rings? Do you have to cut grooves in the block and head to use c rings?

We've always used the hyper fel pro gasket. Just cut the sleeves, any decent machine shop can do it. You will get the specs when you buy the rings.

Re: IH Fire rings September 12, 2022 09:40AM
Where is the best place to buy the c rings for an IH and do you need to cut grooves in the head to match the grooves on the top of the sleeve?

Re: IH Fire rings September 12, 2022 10:16AM
Your head needs to be perfectly flat. Only the sleeves need to be machined for the c ring. I would go with Hyper for IH.

Re: IH Fire rings September 13, 2022 01:16PM
how much do c rings cost compared to wire rings

Re: IH Fire rings September 14, 2022 11:37AM
Go with C rings
Forget the fire rings . You will be thankful that you spent the
Extra 750-1000 on c ring machines sleeves .

The c rings sit in a machined groove in the sleeve
It's a way far superior set up than fire rings.
Fire rings sit on the sleeve but
The edge of the block holds them from expanding.
It is very difficult to make them seal well with the turbo chargers out there today . They will work if everything is perfect and machined correctly. They were superior back in the day ..but are now old technology.

C rings are multiple use rings .

Re: IH Fire rings September 15, 2022 01:12PM
where is the best place to get this work done at and get the parts needed from

Re: IH Fire rings September 15, 2022 11:59PM
Where are you located? You can get the c rings from Hypermax, or a number of builders throughout the country can source them for you.

Pull your sleeves out, take them to your local machine shop. They will be able to cut them in.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,642, Posts: 229,708, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520