Glenwood canceled? September 09, 2022 12:12PM
Glenwood canceled? Track not covered? Reschedule?

Re: Glenwood canceled? September 10, 2022 04:48AM
I'll sell you a big tarp.
You can "rent" it out to pulls to cover their track!!
Put a crew together, and go cover their track.
Then go take it off to build the track, then cover it over night before the pull.
Then go back the morning of the pull, and IF the forecast looks good, roll up your tarp and pack it back home.
I bet the venue would be glad to pay you $100.00 for that service.
You could be rich by this time next year.

Re: Glenwood canceled? September 13, 2022 12:19AM
Alot of good covering a track does with rain forecasted all night long. It Rained in Glenwood City most of the night. I was told they are not able to reschedule due to issues they have no control over.
Look forward to 2023 for another great year of pulling!

Re: Glenwood canceled? September 15, 2022 03:42AM
Always good to keep in mind that the track is NOT the only area of the venue that is hampered when it rains. Tomah's morning rain and prepping the track was done without a tarp. Roll it tight scrape off a little of the top and go pulling with work it pit area is dry enough to move vehicles to scales and to a dry staging area. Also, spectator parking could be impacted. It has been my experience that after a rain, the track maybe the best portion of the grounds.

Re: Glenwood canceled? September 15, 2022 05:21AM
Doc Riley
It has been my experience that after a rain, the track maybe the best portion of the grounds.

This is a great point. Sometimes this is the case at Mound City, MO at the "The Rumble by the Refuge".

Re: Glenwood canceled? September 15, 2022 07:53AM
Absolutely. I have done track prep for our county fair for 28 years, and the one time we cancelled it was not due to not being able to make a track, it was that the pits and parking areas were a swamp.

Re: Glenwood canceled? September 15, 2022 08:57AM
I will try to address some of your concerns. We did not cover the track as it was not supposed to rain until late in the day Friday, but even so covering the track in Glenwood City does not do much good due to the large hill on the east side of the track. All the runoff comes down the hill and flows right under any tarp or covering that is on the track. It didn't start raining hard until 5pm with a scheduled start time of 7pm. It rained fairly steadily in Glenwood most of the night, so in my eyes cancelling was the right decision, both from a track and damage to the pits/parking areas standpoint.

We did try to reschedule but due to circumstances beyond our control it just was not possible.

Re: Glenwood canceled? September 18, 2022 05:57AM
Kudos to all that promote, help,plan volunteer, work and make these pulls happen, BS to the nay sayers.No one controls the weather, all night rain is dealt with by cancelling, - so accept Life. Disappointments are part of the grand scheme.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,702, Posts: 229,802, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard