V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 20, 2022 03:16PM
New to the forum and new to tractor pulling. Loved watching V8 modified tractor pulls out in my area (Oregon) and now have an opportunity to build a tractor of my own. It's a 1950 Cockshutt/Co-Op 40. I have a Chevy 454 sitting to put in it and I'm looking for some advice on how you guys go about putting everything together. I would like to retain as much of the original tractor look as possible, so that means using the Cockshutt rear end and tub if possible. I've read that some guys retain the original tractor transmission and put another transmission in front of it, some get rid of the tractor trans. I thought about installing a ProFab or SCS reverser in front of the tractor trans, but then I was advised that I may or may not have enough total reduction to pull competitively. Any guidance, pictures of setups that work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 21, 2022 06:30AM
Part of it depends on how much power you plan on making and what surface you will be pulling on. There used to be several of that type that pulled on blacktop, they generally used and automatic ahead of the tractor trans. Later pulled on dirt and needed a lot more power and much different gearing(custom) and tires.

Ed.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 21, 2022 09:26AM
Thank you for your response. Local pulls here are on dirt tracks. Currently have 15.5x38 tires but have a line on 18.4x34. The engine will be in 850hp range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2022 09:29AM by Tubbed68GMC.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 21, 2022 10:11AM
Try and use 18.4 x 38, just works better for that much HP. Also another transmission ahead of tractor trans is a very good idea,helps the tractor Live. I have 34 inch tires, cheap,if you are set on that size,also old hard Firestone 151 too.. Make sure the length of tractor, some clubs allow 14 feet, most are 11'. Replace the cast tub right away,build it right the first time, need a cage, amble weigh brackets and gears to match the power.I have a GM 465 four speed tranny,cheap, Pro Fab makes close ratio gears.Have fun, build for safety, speed, and fun,should go 15- 25 plus mph depending on track and sled.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 04:19AM
For the transmission in front of the tractor transmission, I are guys having good success running a glide or turbo 400 up front, or is it best to stick with a clutch and a manual gearbox? What kind of limitations or problems are created from one to another?

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 04:40AM
Depending on a ton of unknowns, anything in the rules?

Are you allowed to shift, during your run?

What is the requirements, for flywheels?

Clutch can vs transmission blanket.

What weight, are you pulling at?

We ran both over the years, keeping in mind that was 40 years ago.
Sleds are different, nowadays.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 04:57AM
The rules out here are very “loose” and when I ask for a rule book, I get told there really isn’t one. Basically I get told to build to NTPA rules and that should cover me (as far as the safety stuff is concerned). For weight class, I’m looking to be around 6000-6500 lbs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 04:59AM by Tubbed68GMC.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 05:07AM
Any video online, of who you would be pulling with?

I'd hate to hazard a guess, any overall length rules, what you're doing for brakes,etc.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 05:34AM
Most of the guys around here in this weight class just pull for fun that I’m aware of. Don’t typically travel or get to competitive. It’s mostly for bragging rights. The only tractor I know the with a name is Water Witch, was built and driven by Duane Stetson. He sold it several yrs back. I’m not very familiar with its setup. I believe it was a Massey Harris. I was told it used to run a Crowerglide clutch.

I am unaware of any length limitations, though without any kind of weight box sticking out front, my tractor is 11 ft. For brakes I was going to update the machine to disc brakes/Willwood calipers with dual master cylinders. The factory brakes won’t cut it with the 6 cylinder that’s in it now, let alone once it’s modified.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 06:26AM
TH 400, was our go to automatic.

We ran M's and Super M's and MH 101 and 44 and 55, broke them all.
Did some gear doubling, and just shifted the TH 400.

Might be the more budget, way for what you are describing.

Don't skimp, on the coupler and shielding.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 07:17AM
I also have a rebuilt T400. Big difference in length, 11 feet is Classic V8, 14 foot is Econo Mod. some run together, some don't care, rules aren't big many places, many places are very specific on rules, build to fit some other places, - you most likely if it works good and is fun you will want some outside competition.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 08:08AM
Thank you for the input. That’s a big help. I contacted SCS about couplers, they have Mark Williams couplers on the shelf for a turbo 400 or a glide with a 400 output shaft on the shelf and the corresponding 1 3/4-10 spline coupler to go on the input of the tractor transmission. This should make an easy/safe marriage of Chevy and Cockshutt. I ordered a NTPA rule book in order to build a legal cage and make sure I meet the required safety standards. Once I get the basics of the machine together, I’m sure I will have more questions, but this helps me get pointed in a good direction to start building.

James

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 01:29PM
I ran a Massey 44 trans/rear.
If you HAVE TO use an ag rear, ok.
My advice is to NOT run an ag rear.
1. Do something about the welds on the bull gears.
ie; put more welds on them or something. When the 3" long welds break off and run between the bull gear, and bull pinion it makes for a very bad day! Let's just say heavy duty tie bars are necessary so you can load the tractor in more or less one piece. A leaky busted up piece.
And make friends with ALL your competitors! You need them ALL to help load. And loan you jack stands, chains and binders, and absorbent pads.
Run a clutch, in a good clutch can. With a 3 speed single counterpart ProFab transmission. Gut the stock transmission and get a coupler to hook the output on the ProFab to the pinion. I wish I would have.
If you INSIST on being able to shift, get a Lenco, and make the step close together.
The glide, and turbo 400 steps ate too far apart. So is a C-6 Ford.
With 15.5 or 18.4 tires the rear might hold up ok.
For 23.1-34's or 30.5's the rear will be like hitting a wine glass with a jewlers hammer. It'll last a while, but it WILL break.
Save money, start with a skidder or truck center with planetaries.
How ever you do it,,, have fun!
If you end up with a bunch of new friends, you will know you are doing it right!

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 01:39PM
And the NTPA rule book will not really help you build a roll cage.
Have to buy those specs from SFI
(sorry)
It is worth the money to buy a cage "kit" .
Others can recommend who to buy one from.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 22, 2022 02:40PM
Thank you for the advice. I was looking up cage requirements online and cage kits came up. They seemed pretty reasonably priced given the cost of DOM and moly these days. Engler Machine was listing a kit for $1200 plus shipping, and Ace Chassis has some great pictures of a tractor chassis that they are building, only using the ag rear end. If there’s any recommendations from people here on preferred vendors for a cage or a cage kit, I would love to hear them.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 23, 2022 04:57AM
if you have to shift, - you don't have enough HP to be competitive.

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 27, 2022 10:09AM
[www.pulloff.com]

Re: V8 Modified Cockshutt 40 September 28, 2022 11:28PM
[www.pulloff.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,657, Posts: 229,735, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,071, Posts: 225,919.

Our newest member JD_8520