Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 21, 2022 05:24AM
I had a Case 1370 with 5700 hours fall into my lap recently and I have interest in pulling with it (6-10mph classes, maybe more in the future). The tractor is not needed for anything farm work related so it will be a track queen only. It runs great and starts right up. As far as I know it is bone stock all the way down the muffler. A quick glance at the pump and it has the tamper wires intact.

The main thing I've noticed is the Power Shift/Transmission is not perfect. It will shift through the gears fine in each range while moving like it should, but it will usually (not always) grind when shifting between ranges (tractor stationary, clutch pedal pressed in). The other issue is every once in awhile when the tractor is moving, I will push the clutch to the floor but it will not disengage the drive line and the tractor will keep moving forward. Given the above information, is there anything I can do to make the PS/trans work correctly again or am I better off to look for an 8 speed to replace it? I know the 8 speed is considered a better option, but I have seen several videos of Case pullers using the PS and making it live. I'm just curious how they are doing it and wondering if I can make it live for the first year or maybe more?

Making power with the 504 will be another thread in the future. Right now I'm just wondering if I should stick with this 1370, sell it and buy a Case 1175 (or other tractor), or swap an 8 speed in this tractor?

Let me know what you think or who I should contact, thanks!

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 21, 2022 07:43AM
I should add that this tractor sat for about 15 years in a barn before I acquired it.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 21, 2022 09:05AM
First off check all your cable linkage for proper adjustment on the ps valve an clutch pedal.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 21, 2022 10:23AM
Many factory mods were offered back in the day and a few people that knew those trannies really worked magic with them,however most are gone and Dead, most around here use the 8 speed. The power shift is fine if in great shape adjusted correctly for starting, but overall use and future updates might require the 8 speed.I had one with stock engine, 3000 rpms and high air pressure18.4 x 42s road worn,the Power shift and proper drawbar and would out pull similar tractors with 20.8s and much more HP,and start out in the gear they finished in. Good set up and paying attention to details matter a lot.I remember digging a hole in the yard gravel to install new pulling drawbar that looked stock, LOL. The pto area is square and easy to install weight bracket. I made my own 8 bolt adapted to use the 42s, making parts you can helps bond with the tractor and makes it more fun to compete with. Have fun, but keep in mind farm stock AIN'T SO STOCK , most places., however the slow speeds help.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 21, 2022 11:04AM
Georgee
Many factory mods were offered back in the day and a few people that knew those trannies really worked magic with them,however most are gone and Dead, most around here use the 8 speed. The power shift is fine if in great shape adjusted correctly for starting, but overall use and future updates might require the 8 speed.I had one with stock engine, 3000 rpms and high air pressure18.4 x 42s road worn,the Power shift and proper drawbar and would out pull similar tractors with 20.8s and much more HP,and start out in the gear they finished in. Good set up and paying attention to details matter a lot.I remember digging a hole in the yard gravel to install new pulling drawbar that looked stock, LOL. The pto area is square and easy to install weight bracket. I made my own 8 bolt adapted to use the 42s, making parts you can helps bond with the tractor and makes it more fun to compete with. Have fun, but keep in mind farm stock AIN'T SO STOCK , most places., however the slow speeds help.

All good info! My thought is that I’ll get the tractor going with the PS the first year and see how it does. If it runs into major problems then I will look into swapping to an 8 speed next winter. While I’m in there I will put a steel flywheel and heavier clutch in, then look to turn 3k rpm the following year. I currently pull some MPH classes and have for ten years (different tractor), so I understand the comment on farmstock haha! I’m really hoping to have fun wrenching, pulling, and hopefully turning a few heads with an old tractor.

I’ve read about people tightening the torque limiter and working on other things to make it live. So I’m hoping to get some general advice or figure it out from the service manual. Once I understand the inner workings of the PS and how it operates it will help me work on it. Keep the info coming! Thanks!

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 21, 2022 10:53AM
Gale
First off check all your cable linkage for proper adjustment on the ps valve an clutch pedal.

I will look into that, thanks! I was curious if it was a cable style or linkage or hydraulic style. (I haven’t had a chance to look into it yet). I have a service manual on order so that should offer some guidance when I need it.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 21, 2022 11:34AM
Sounds like you might have a sticky spool in the control valve on the right hand side of the trans housing. Not returning all the way/at all causing things to keep moving. Most bolt the torque limiter to the flywheel, and then shim the pressure relief valve to get some more charge pressure.
That being said I don’t think it’s worth do all that. Lots of work and will still have many weak points if you start making 400+Hp. Like said above farm stock is far from stock. 1175s are good. 9-1070s 8 speeds are lighter (no planetaries), and will take a good load of power with just a double disk clutch in them.
There’s lots of threads on here about tuning up a 504 engine. Give it 30-32* of timing, and remove the shims on the pump rack, then turn it up till there’s a thread or 2 showing on the fuel screw.1370 injectors aren’t great. Best engines are 1570 2670 2390 2590 4490 4690 as far as bottom end and injectors.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 22, 2022 12:36AM
Case dude
Sounds like you might have a sticky spool in the control valve on the right hand side of the trans housing. Not returning all the way/at all causing things to keep moving. Most bolt the torque limiter to the flywheel, and then shim the pressure relief valve to get some more charge pressure.
That being said I don’t think it’s worth do all that. Lots of work and will still have many weak points if you start making 400+Hp. Like said above farm stock is far from stock. 1175s are good. 9-1070s 8 speeds are lighter (no planetaries), and will take a good load of power with just a double disk clutch in them.
There’s lots of threads on here about tuning up a 504 engine. Give it 30-32* of timing, and remove the shims on the pump rack, then turn it up till there’s a thread or 2 showing on the fuel screw.1370 injectors aren’t great. Best engines are 1570 2670 2390 2590 4490 4690 as far as bottom end and injectors.

Appreciate the info. Do I need to split the tractor to bolt the torque limiter to the flywheel or is there access through a cover? Are there already holes in place or do I need to make new holes? I've never been around a torque limiter, just standard flywheel and clutch setups. My thought is, if I have to split the tractor to work on the PS then I might as well bolt an 8 speed in its place or buy a tractor with an 8 speed already in it. I'm excited to start working on a new tractor for next year, but want to make sure I'm working on the right tractor for my goals.

You said a 9/1070 with an 8 speed will take a good load of power with just a clutch. How much power are you talking?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 12:39AM by Stretch.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 22, 2022 02:12AM
Yes split is required, you will have to drill and tap flywheel.
I’m in the 7-800 range right now, stock input shaft, dual disk clutch, 10,000lbs.
As you say , choose the right tractor, put a large journal 504 in 970 1070 1175 8 speed.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 22, 2022 02:33AM
Sounds like I may need to start looking at other tractors to meet my goals. I'm trying to avoid a whole bunch of work on the driveline of this tractor, just to do it again in the future to swap in an 8 speed trans. I guess time and money would be better spent on a different tractor.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 22, 2022 05:01AM
You need to find a 970-1070 8 speed tractor or chassis as you can not put an 8 speed trans in a 1370, the steel flywheel most likely isn't needed at 3000 RPM, the clutch housing on all power shift tractors is wet, meaning it has trans oil in it, plus the fact of the power shift drum and planetary spinning over 3000 RPM isn't a good idea. As far as the 1370 trans problem you have now,be sure the clutch pedal is moving the spool out as far as it can, you should here the power shift "grunt" when the pedal is pushed all the way down. Get your 1370 fixed and running then look for a 8 speed tractor.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 22, 2022 07:25AM
rdl1953
You need to find a 970-1070 8 speed tractor or chassis as you can not put an 8 speed trans in a 1370, the steel flywheel most likely isn't needed at 3000 RPM, the clutch housing on all power shift tractors is wet, meaning it has trans oil in it, plus the fact of the power shift drum and planetary spinning over 3000 RPM isn't a good idea. As far as the 1370 trans problem you have now,be sure the clutch pedal is moving the spool out as far as it can, you should here the power shift "grunt" when the pedal is pushed all the way down. Get your 1370 fixed and running then look for a 8 speed tractor.

I have noticed the grunt before when moving it around and I'm glad to hear that is normal. I wasn't aware that an 8 speed would not swap in a 1370. It will bolt behind the 504 correct? It just won't mate to the 1370 rear end? Or am I wrong in that thinking?

I assume the 8 speed is a dry clutch setup, so assuming I had an 8 speed tractor and was happy with my first year of pulling the tractor: I would be looking at putting in a heavier clutch and figured while I'm there with the tractor split I may as well put in a steel flywheel as cheap insurance.

Edit: I looked at tractor data and the 8 speed is indeed a dry clutch setup. I'm sure you already knew that, but I was unsureSmiling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 07:27AM by Stretch.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 22, 2022 09:48AM
Where you’re confused is the fact that an 8 speed transmission and rear end are all the same housing. The 8 speed is not a removable transmission, unlike most. So, yes it will bolt to the back of the 504, but it will be a complete trans/rear that your bolting up, so then youll have to mount the cab/platform to it, and get all your gear linkages sorted out. Steering will have to be assessed. Not a job worth doing.
As for the flywheel, I wouldn’t necessarily call it “cheap” insurance, but ya, do it. A lot of clubs require sfi clutch and flywheel anyways, don’t dick around with heavier springs and such just buy a complete clutch and flywheel from atlas tractor and don’t look back.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 22, 2022 12:29PM
Thanks for the education. It definitely makes sense for me to move this tractor on and pick up one more suited to my needs/goals. I guess cheap is a relative term. I know none of it is cheap, but it is cheap to me if I would happen to scatter a flywheel and cause injury to another person or myself. I’m looking forward to finding the right tractor and getting to work! Appreciate all the info/advice.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice September 23, 2022 06:13AM
Interesting, 5.5 hours from my doorstep one way. Funny thing is I’ll be in Illinois later tonight, unfortunately no where near that tractor though.

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice December 14, 2022 05:34AM
Just wanted to update this thread. I looked at a few 1175s and found one that I was very interested in. In the few days after I looked at it, I came across a Deere 4430 that I couldn’t pass up. So the 1370 has been sold and a deal made on the 4430. I will pull the 4430 with the 404 right now and will look to upgrade to a 466 in the future. Just waiting for the right deal to come along. Thanks for all the advice on the Case tractors!

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice December 19, 2022 06:14AM
Quad range or powershift 4430?

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice December 20, 2022 12:01AM
Quad

Re: Case 1370 Puller Project need Advice December 23, 2022 05:31PM
The 4430 out of my shop ran tan the stock quad range (with 8630 clutch and higher pressure) at 650 HP or so. Did not have any issues with it. When we went to the 466 cubed 8.1 block we updated the transmission to a dry clutch in a 4020 housing and a 3 speed.

Deere 4430 December 25, 2022 05:30AM
Thanks for the info! I plan on getting into the 4430 after the first of the year and am looking forward to pulling this coming summer! What is better about the 8630 clutch? I assume it has more holding power?

Re: Deere 4430 December 26, 2022 11:25AM
Best bet is to just get a Rursh steel clutch and be done 5 disks will hold a lot of power.

Re: Deere 4430 December 26, 2022 11:58AM
I need to do some calling around and see if the clutch behind a 404 is the same as a 466. Maybe somebody here can tell me? I have plans to run the 404, then upgrade to a 466, possibly next winter. I plan to put a steel flywheel and heavier clutch in it when the time comes. Right now I’ll keep it under 3k rpm.

Re: Deere 4430 December 27, 2022 06:19AM
The only difference is 4 bolt flywheel on 404 and 6 bolt on the 466. You can install 6 bolt on the 404 and just not use the 2 extra holes. If you are going to run 404 this year just make the transmission clutch a 3 disk and run it. If any questions call or text me 812-309-3255.

Re: Deere 4430 December 27, 2022 10:33AM
Thanks a lot for the info and phone number. When I get into this old girl I may be giving you a call. I really appreciate the offer.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,682, Posts: 229,784, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason