2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 21, 2022 12:45PM
I haven't been down there in quite a few years, so the memory is fuzzy.

If they wanted to add a second track, is there room to move one or both sets of stands to accommodate the width?

Years ago, one issue was staging area room, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. I thought I either read or heard in an interview there may be interest in some of the people involved in the pull in adding a second track, and some want to keep it a single track.

Re: 2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 21, 2022 10:48PM
There's not enough room as it sits now. They'd have to move lights and barriers back on the west side of the track and eat into their ground seating to make it work. There's plenty of room to do it but it would be a bit of a job.

Re: 2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 22, 2022 12:48AM
The question is: does Chapel Hill really need a second track? I counted 51 official hooks for the Friday night session this year. So, I guess a better question is: what is the magic number of hooks that “necessitates” a second track? (51 entries at 4 minutes a hook means a 3.5 hour show)

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: 2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 22, 2022 01:04AM
I would guess the second track would open them up to bringing in more classes.

Re: 2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 22, 2022 02:27AM
I had that same thought but I'm not sure they have enough pit parking for more classes.

S'no

Re: 2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 22, 2022 03:11AM
The show typically runs late into the night, so you could add one more class and split them between two sleds and potentially speed things up IF that was a big concern. I can't imagine it is though as that's how the show has always been. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort and extra cost to make it happen. I understand if they're just looking for ways to make it bigger and better and it's worth looking into but I'm not sure it's the best idea.

Re: 2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 22, 2022 03:14AM
More classes, more expense for the promoter. I spoke to one promoter this year that told me they would like to go back to one track instead of two for that reason. Chapel Hill is a very good show as is. It's one GN/SN show you go to that actually runs all GN classes.

Re: 2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 22, 2022 03:09AM
To anyone remotely involved in the Lion's Super Pull of the South that may stumble upon this thread, PLEASE hear my plea. This is absolutely far and away my favorite pull. I, personally, think it is better than Bowling Green or Louisville. One huge reason for that is the single track (which they run at a blistering and phenomenal pace). The atmosphere and setting here is so intimate and the crowd gets so into it. I think the SINGLE track is a huge reason for this. Chapel Hill is NTPA's version of Bristol Motor Speedway or Wrigley Field or Lambeau Field. It's historic. It's nostalgic. PLEASE NEVER MAKE IT A DOUBLE TRACK. 5 classes, invitation/ pre-qualify only, makes it the best pound for pound pull of the summer. Bigger doesn't mean better. This pull is perfect the way it is.

Re: 2nd track at Chapel Hill? September 22, 2022 04:07AM
Personally, I think the one-track format is the path they will stick with. Traditionally we have had as many as 75-80 hooks, not including pulloffs or resets, etc. It can make for a long night at times, but Chapel Hill is none for their five classes and the fans know what to expect. This year the numbers were down a bit as most years several PPL competitors have been invited to compete. I love the two-track format at most facilities but don't think it works at Chapel Hill as they are also limited on parking. The grounds have changed a lot over the years and as of late you have had rigs parked on very nicely manicured baseball fields.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,711, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520