What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 26, 2022 12:41AM
What's the cost for a middle of the pack tractor in the Superfield, ProFarm or even a turbo farm stock of some sort? Open flatbed trailer, etc. the least expensive but still reliable way to get involved. This is basically the opposite of the other thread!

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 26, 2022 01:03AM
A lot depends on your area rules. I know for a turbo farm stock class it can be done relatively cheap if you’re patient in finding parts. My 1206 runs 6-10 mph farm stock classes competitively and I have less than 6k in the tractor itself, figure 7-10k for a used gooseneck, and if you go with an older 7.3 add another 10-15k for one with some miles but still in decent shape. May be able to even get started cheaper. Just my experience. With patience, there are deals that come along if you dont buy new everything

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 26, 2022 02:08AM
Not many will use other's junk, most of todays people need, want and have the latest greatest, the American I'm Entitled way. However, I agree, the deals are there, I found a like new five yr. old trailer for less that half price,a great 8 yr. old pickup, and make do with older fun tractors bought running with a lot of potential, the original build cost more.

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 26, 2022 02:28AM
For a 8500 limited pro, 466 cube, 3x4 turbo type class your looking at easily getting beyond 100k if you hire it all done. If you can weld and fabricate most aspects of the tractor, cage, frame, brackets etc, aquire parts yourself and eliminate the middle man as much as possible your still in the 60k to 70k range if it's a new build, and you will most likely not be a front runner out of the gate. Most of the time your better off buying one already built especially if time is an issue. I'm a DIY kind of guy, I'm in no real hurry cause I enjoy the building process as much as I do going down the track. So, for example it took me a day to fabricate and mount a fuel tank from raw material to finished product, and that's just one very small piece of a huge puzzle. If I paid for that service it probably would have cost $2,000 just for a fuel tank, maybe more. The cost just adds up quick. On a side note. I hate when people answer these types of questions with a," If you have to ask then you can't afford it." I think it's just scares off someone that's interested in getting into the sport and is just curious what class their budget might allow them start at. We need more people building and buying pulling vehicles, not discouraging them.

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 26, 2022 04:50AM
Depends on what you already have. If you have a pickup capable of pulling a trailer, you're 1/2 way there. I pulled a JD4320 for a lot of years and upgraded clutch and some fuel work. I bought the tractor originally for $7500 with less than 5000hrs.. Today's market that tractor is $15000+ and I had less than that in it for pulling. We used it on the farm too so we rebuilt the engine 1x and did some other work on it. I still think I had less than $20,000 in it over a 10+ year period.
In 2018 we jumped up to a 466cu. 4455 Hot Farm tractor and that's when you start spending $$$'s and it never ends if you want to be competitive. In that class I'd say $50,000 to $150,000 today. So it's a wide range even in farm stock. You can go on YouTube and watch all the different classes in all the different areas. I agree with what Diy said too. You really have to see what classes are popular in your area. Find the class you like and work from there. Good luck.

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 26, 2022 08:37AM
DIY, if you spend 2000 plus on a fuel tank, - I have a bridge deal for you, WTF are you smoking.

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 26, 2022 10:49AM
Go to a shop and price a custom made polished stainless tank, and have them mount it in your chasis. My estimate probably isn't far off. I know the what I have in time and matetials. Can someone else build it faster, probably. Can you buy a cheaper spun aluminum tank, sure you can. That's not what I wanted..

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 27, 2022 01:15AM
22 gallon stainless tank a year ago, 1 outlet fitting, 2 return fittings, 2 breather fittings , 1 filler neck. I provide the prints & all the fittings, it was $700 to bend it up to print & weld it.

[www.ulmerracing.com]

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 27, 2022 06:02AM
Respectfully I never said I would spend $2k on a fuel tank. $700 sounds like an awesome deal on a 22 gallon tank. With the amount of time in labor I have in mine I don't think I would sell it for $700. All I was implying is that with what shops charge for custom pieces that I wouldn't be shocked if someone would charge that for a custom polished tank. And to be clear I don't mind that skilled fabricators put a premium price on their skills and time invested in a project.

Re: What's the ballpark cost to just participate in tractor pulling? December 29, 2022 12:41PM
Alot will depend on the color you choose,
I'm in the process of building a 9000 lb farm stock
And by the time I'm finished IL probably have 12 to 13 k rapped up in it. That does include a steel flywheel. To be real I'm not expecting
A top of the class running tractor, more than likely middle of the pack but its what I can
Afford right now.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,670, Posts: 229,765, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,941.

Our newest member Jason