70W oil January 01, 2023 12:04PM
I've been running Penn Grade Nitro 70w in my diesel semi pulling engine's, had lots if bottom end failures even to the point im starting to lean towards this oil could be the issue. How's Lucas 70w plus work or VPs racing 70w oil? Just curious what people had luck with. Or even other brands, possibly oil additives I should try? Thanks

Re: 70W oil January 01, 2023 02:13PM
70w seems extreme, what do engine builders say? Many think 50 is too much.

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 12:52AM
We've run 50w,60w and now 70w. We have 2 extra on mains for clearance and 1 extra on the rods for clearance. We've tried more clearance didn't help. Yes we have oil heaters and we've run it with cold oil and warm oil still issues. We have done everything know to man with different filter setups and micron filters. My question is mostly related to brands of oils or additives people have had luck with. Wasn't sure if I'm out to lunch on the Penn Grade and its a great oil which I believe it is, or if I should try something else like Lucas or VP or others? We run so much oil in our setups (15 gallons +) so the only way for me to try something else is to buy 55 gallon barrel at a time and we all know that's just as stupid priced as everything else in this hobby lol. So looking for some feed back or general idea on what works good overall. Thanks

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 03:15AM
GSPulling
We've run 50w,60w and now 70w. We have 2 extra on mains for clearance and 1 extra on the rods for clearance. We've tried more clearance didn't help. Yes we have oil heaters and we've run it with cold oil and warm oil still issues. We have done everything know to man with different filter setups and micron filters. My question is mostly related to brands of oils or additives people have had luck with. Wasn't sure if I'm out to lunch on the Penn Grade and its a great oil which I believe it is, or if I should try something else like Lucas or VP or others? We run so much oil in our setups (15 gallons +) so the only way for me to try something else is to buy 55 gallon barrel at a time and we all know that's just as stupid priced as everything else in this hobby lol. So looking for some feed back or general idea on what works good overall. Thanks

Sounds like you're trying everything right. I run 60w Cenpeco. Never had much trouble with it at all. And I am alcohol super. If we start it much, we do get alcohol in the oil. Pre heating it does help burn it off. Can you tell how much if any diesel fuel gets in yours? Another thing could be the type of pump you are using. I am running a 3 section Aviad. 2 sections to the motor and 1 section for the turbos. Also, which is giving you more trouble. The rods or mains?

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 11:29AM
We run same style Aviad pump, we even switched 3rd turbo section to engine to give it more, we've had both rod and main issues, I'd say more main issues though

Re: 70W oil January 01, 2023 04:52PM
What are your clearances between the bearings and the crank?

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 11:38AM
6/7 mains and 4/5 on rods

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 02:36PM
Supertiquer
What are your clearances between the bearings and the crank?

I get a thumbs down for asking the original poster that I am trying to help. lol

Re: 70W oil January 01, 2023 05:24PM
Are you using a pan heater to preheat the oil?

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 12:11AM
Deere Puller
Are you using a pan heater to preheat the oil?
Deere Puller is correct. I have always used 50 weight and a pan heater. No oil related problems. Heating up 70 weight would surely help.

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 09:36AM
What class, engine, current oil pressure?

Seems way too heavy. 20w50 would seem the way to go. Anything over 50w would be for alcohol engines to combat fuel delusion.

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 11:35AM
Big rig/super semi class, cyclone cat 3406. Oil pressure cold at idle is 90psi, warm idle 80psi, pulling under load maintains around 50psi and by the end of run we are at 30 psi or less depending how long run was. From most of my research most semis at this level with mechanical setups are running 70w too, im just scratching my head of what I could be doing wrong of missing, we are definitely working with Cyclone on new setup I just want to give myself the best chance for next season of not wreaking bottom end especially if I'm doing something wrong that can be avoided.

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 11:42AM
I had the same trouble with one engine it ended up being the oil pump foaming the oil i done away of the internal bypass on the pump and went to a total external bypass the problems ended thats been 7 years ago and its still going

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 12:08PM
I'll have to look into that for sure, you just took the bypass out and put plug back in or sent pump back to be reconfigured?

Re: 70W oil January 03, 2023 02:37AM
I think Lewis is on to something. Seems if you are holding that kind of pressure at idle, but dropping to 30 at the end that you may be overloading the bypass. After pulling away from the sled, does pressure rebound while idling when hot?

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 10:43PM
Not trying to be a smart a$$ by any means. Have you asked Fink what he recommends? I know in our sport of single cylinder garden tractor pulling we turn engines 9500/10,500 rpm and they live on standard off the shelf Mobil Delvac 15W40 diesel oil. I have a friend that pulled a lt. pro stock built by riverside and they recommended Schaeffer's 705 Supreme 7000 Racing oil it's a 20W-50. High Zink content is your friend. Bearing clearance is your friend. Can you cut oil grooves in the rods to get extra oil to the rod bearings? how about doing the same to the main bearings? I realize our engines work off a "splash" type oiling system but i figure anyway you can trap oil and get it in the bearings or journals is a win regardless?

Re: 70W oil January 02, 2023 11:36PM
I run also run Mobil delvac 15 40 in my LLSS. The engine is 6 years old, and the bearings look like new. It runs 60 psi with warm oil and 100 psi during pull. I am running wet sump with extraoral oil pump. Just my experience. Good luck.

Re: 70W oil January 03, 2023 12:00AM
we have always run 20w-50 in our cat. Had trouble 1 year but that ended up being my fault.

Re: 70W oil January 03, 2023 07:28AM
I know a friend had an engine, that had high idle pressure and low at higher rpms, some rerouting lines and new regulator and return into the oil pump itself fixed the issue. My high performance SBC engine builder blocked off my bypass. I have used 20-50 for fifty yrs. with great success,heating 50 or 70 wt. is a good way to help longevity.

Re: 70W oil January 03, 2023 12:32PM
My pump was sent back twice it was a three stage one for the turbo'I messed up two cranks and was replacing rod bearings every 4or5 runs after talking with the tech department enough they new me by name we decided to plug the internal bypass add a one inch external dumping back to the pan my problems ended and my cold oil start up pressure dropped and the bearing problem ended and thats after trying different brands of bearings ,oils .and different clearance on the crank or you could run your stock pump unless your running 3or 4 turbos

Re: 70W oil January 03, 2023 02:04PM
Different application, but I was having the same problem, spinning bearings, good idle oil psi but low psi at high rpm. Ended up being the stock internal bypass in the pump was too slow to respond. Modified the bypass so it responds faster and held good oil psi the whole pass. Going to completely plug the internal bypass and go to an external before next season.

Lots of guys running Brad Penn/Penn grade oil, it’s good oil.

Re: 70W oil January 07, 2023 09:24AM
We run 15-40 Shaffer.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520