Most expensive part of promoting a pull? January 03, 2023 12:28AM
Two questions for pull promoters:

1) What is the most expensive part of promoting a pull?

2) What is an expense most people wouldn't think of that eats up more of the promoting budget than you'd expect?

Re: Most expensive part of promoting a pull? January 03, 2023 02:07AM
In my case it's grounds rental.then insuranse..as a fairboard member it's the organization fee,then the chance of bad weather is the biggest gamble

Re: Most expensive part of promoting a pull? January 03, 2023 03:03AM
Organization Fees #1
Advertising #2
Insurances #3
Facilities Costs #4

We advertise pretty Heavy, and we have a VIP area for sponsor to enjoy the night in, this all falls under advertising, but we raise as much Sponsor Money as we do Gate sales....

BB

Re: Most expensive part of promoting a pull? January 03, 2023 05:35AM
You stick a roof over an event and that expense is likely #1 or #2, depending on if an event is sanctioned or not. Building rental has always been expensive but since the COVID year fees have risen dramatically. Many facilities get real expensive when the clock strikes midnight and a new layer of expense kicks in. The promoter wants to be done before midnight more than anyone else.

Sled rental is expensive, but good sled operators are worth every dime they are paid. Having a back-up sled on site multiplies the expense but well worth the investment.

I have utmost respect for anyone or any entity that promotes and puts on an event, there's a laundry list of expenses that I can think of and they likely don't scratch the surface of the total investment.

Re: Most expensive part of promoting a pull? January 03, 2023 07:18AM
I always thank the promoter at the driver's meeting, people look at me for speaking out ! It needs to be said,and too you also Bryan, your dedication, promotion and unselfish work and expertise is very needed and appreciated as a bold and wonderful ambassador for this sport.Even small grass rootes type venues need our verbal, physical and monetary support, or they will be gone. Big venue antique pull fees are 40-50 bucks a hook, the building costs have risen terribly,along with every thing else.It takes tons of hours, sweat, people, money,effort and luck (weather), and competitors to be successful putting on a pull. Thank you all that do so.

Re: Most expensive part of promoting a pull? January 03, 2023 04:26PM
Answer is certainly going to depend on type of pull. An antique pull and NTPA regional are drastically different animals. I'll answer for an outlaw event with a mix of hot farm, hobby stock and tractor classes in between along with somewhat stock pickups and more open pickups. Event draws 600 - 800 people including pits and spectators.

1. Prize payout
2. Sled rental
3. Trophies
4. Announcer

I didn't list insurance because we use festival insurance, and I don't have a break down of how much including a tractor pull adds to the total. There's also plenty of other smaller expenses.

I would say the detail to watch most tightly is the number of classes offered. Adding just one or two more classes can split the prize money pool that much more reducing the top money you can offer. Stand-alone events really need to make money or at least break even. Events that are part of a county fair or something can be successful drawing people to the grounds without the event itself making much money.

Re: Most expensive part of promoting a pull? January 07, 2023 09:26AM
I agree Lens

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,795, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,949.

Our newest member CBeard