SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 08, 2009 11:37AM
We took our family to a pull last Saturday night in Prairieburg Ia. and I will tell you that I was never so scared in all my life, when I seen a sled operater hanging on to the back of a sled behind the seat of the sled showing someone else how to run it I think. The sled was THE IRON ANCOR from up in Northorn Iowa. There was no protection if he would have been jerked off because of a tractors going down the track. It is an open back end where the steering is located and there is no protection for anyone but the driver of the sled. I have seen him in the past couple of years down there and he has even had some young kids riding with him, and they are sitting on the outside of the sled, VERY UNSAFE. When the fast tractors go down the track there should not be anyone on the sled other that the operated of the sled. Really there should not be anyone on the sled other than the driver of the sled at anytime. I also seen him other places with a lady riding on the side of the sled (very unsafe) and she was not even hanging on to the sled half of the time and not even paying attention to what was going on. When someone gets hurt or killed who is the one at fault. Is it the sled operater that has no common sense for letting them ride or is it going to be the person driving the tractor, or is it the promoter of the event. I would say it better be the sled operater. They know things never go the way you want them to go and you should always be safe when it comes to pulling.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 08, 2009 01:40PM
Yes I was there but I guess I never felt scared that he was going to get thrown off the sled. If memory serves me right I think when the faster tractors pulled Dan was running the sled. In fact when I pulled the farm classes I know he was the only one on the sled! Now I'm not saying it was right at all but I did not feel like he was in danger. I would say he would be liable for his own actions.
Other than the safety issue did you think it was a good pull? I thought the hot farm class was loaded with good tractors and it was nice to be done by 9:00!!
Just a thought but maybe you should of said something to Dan, I guess you would have had nothing to lose and maybe saved an accident from happening.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 08, 2009 02:34PM
But if u talked to Dan, then u can't come on here and whine. See it easier to hide behind a made up name rather than showing a degree of maturity. If I happen to be at a pull where Dan is, I always bring him a pepsi before the pull and say hi. I always try to know the guy on the sled. If something went bad. He is my best friend. Even Big and I get along

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 08, 2009 03:01PM
who's hiding behind a name now ? tugger make a comment ,state your name

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 08, 2009 03:29PM
tugger is none other than John D. Platte (I might be making up the middle initial, but D is sure a good middle initial, especially if the last name is Rockefeller). "Turbo Up" John Deere SF puller, and powder coater extrordinare.
Also a champion B.S.er !!!!
And super dad !

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 09, 2009 05:01AM
I totally agree with it not being safe sitting on the outside of a sled as it is going down the track. I was up in Nashua for the chuck wagon races and decided to stay for the pull in the evening. Yes there was a lady riding on the sled when the heavier classes were going down the track, and they did not go very slow down the track if you ask me, from the start of the tractor going down the track and it finishing it was a matter of seconds. That is what I call unsafe having a passenger on the sled and not holding on very good. All it would take is one good jerk from the tractor and the sled and she would have been thrown off the sled. Think saftey first. I also have it on my camera and showed people the tractors and trucks and semis and they asked is she crazy to be on the sled. Well I think so.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 10, 2009 02:09AM
Seen it too at Nashua and thought that the sled operator should have had more common sense than to let someone on the sled when the hot farm was going down the track. Also the pull was a good one but they need to pick up the pace with the blade tractors. It seemed to drag out to long because they took to long blading and packing the track. Need more tractors on the track preparing it. Hopefully the Iron Anchor will start thinking before he does it again or before someone gets hurt.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 11, 2009 10:08AM
Yes, it was an ok pull, but I did not talk to the sled operator that night. There were to many tractors around and I did not want to take my kids over by all of the tractors moving around. I just wanted to know if anyone else had any concerns with the way he is running the sled. I do not know him very well, but I have nothing against him, but he needs to think before something happens. It seems that every year the same people win at that pull. I do not no their names but I recignize the tractors that go down the track. I remember last year when he had his son, I take it, on the sled with him when the faster tractors were going down the track, they were jerking and going from side to side going down the track and I will tell you that is not safe and where was the boys mother, why was she letting him on the sled or maybe she does not know that he is letting him on the sled with him, and if she does not know than someone should let her know about this.THINK SAFETY FIRST like the other people have been telling you.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 02:38AM
After hearing the glass "fell out" (more like caught a rock) and after the clutch went wrong on hager and snapped the chain and cone back and broke the glass and cut his leg. the sled oughta have something infront of the cab to keep this from happening

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 05:27AM
ok lets think about this do you sit for 7-8 hrs without a break how do you train someone to help you when they are on the ground would this be safe and who would be responsiable not you and if you didnt care for what you were watching you werent tied to your seat leave next time or dont hook your tractor to the sled if you are not sure of your own abilities dan knows what his are worry of yours and youll have alot more fun life is full of risks we all take some the ones that ride on the sled are a little more risky than youi oh well its a thrill no different than those on the tractor in front thats a thrill and risk to go to have fun not to find fault in someone busting there but to entertain you

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 06:26AM
if you were so concerned why not tlk to someone in charge to stop the pull see how many were with you the fans would like that thats what they came to see most probably came for fun not to be judgemental of what they have no control or need of worry of do you want to pay for dans insurance next year

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 09:39AM
HE CAN PAY FOR HIS OWN INSURANCE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS MAD WORLD. I CAN SEE WERE HE MIGHT HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE ON THE SLED AND SHOW THEM HOW TO RUN IT BUT DO NOT HANG ON THE BACK OF THE SLED INSTEAD SIT NEXT TO THE ONE RUNNING THE SLED AT THE TIME THAT WAY IF THEY HAVE ANY QUESTIONS YOU CAN ANSWER IT AND SHOW IT TO THEM AT THAT TIME. YOU CAN NOT SHOW THEM ANYTHING WHEN YOU ARE NOT NEXT TO THEM.ONE GOOD JURK AND HE COULD HAVE WENT FLYING OFF THE BACK SO EASY. AND WHAT ABOUT WHAT I READ ABOUT HIM HAVING LITTLE KIDS ON THE SLED, NO ONE SHOULD HAVE LITTLE KIDS RIDE NO MATTER IF THEY ARE HIS OR NOT. IT IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE YOU DO IT.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 09:51AM
So are you his ex wife trying to cause problems with the "little kids" stuff?
This has gone on plenty long, someone must be upset at Dan and stringing this crap along.
Jeeze, watch a soap opera if you need more drama.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 10:19AM
Call Dan and talk to him.( You won't) Let this die This is not the place.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 11:29AM
NO I AM NOT HIS EX-WIFE. I DID NOT EVEN KNOW THAT HE HAD AN EX. I THOUGHT THAT THE WOMAN THAT WAS WITH HIM WAS HIS WIFE. AND FOR WHAT I SAID ABOUT THE KIDS RIDING I STILL THINK THAT IT IS WRONG TO HAVE A YOUNG CHILD ON THE SLED. I HAVE READ IT ON THE SITE AND ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT I AGREE WITH THE PERSON OR PERSONS THAT STATED IT. IF DAN DOES NOT WATCH OUT SOMETHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN AND THEN IT WILL BE TO LATE AND HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT TO EVERYONE AND IF IT IS HIS KID ON THE SLED THEN DOES THE EX AGREE ON WHAT HE IS DOING. DOES SHE WANT HIM TO BE ON THE SLED WITH HIM AT A SMALL AGE AND IF SHE DOES THAN SHE IS WRONG ALSO FOR LETTING HIM RIDE. IS THAT HIS NEW GIRLFRIEND THAT IS ALWAYS RIDING WITH HIM THEN. I READ THAT SHE LIKES TO RIDE FOR THE FUN OF IT. I THINK THAT A SLED SHOULD BE RUN WITH THE OPERATOR ONLY UNLESS THEY ARE TRAINING SOMEONE AND THEN THEY SHOULD BE BY THEIR SIDE AND NOT ON THE BACK OF THE SLED LIKE I SAID BEFORE. I KNOW THAT HE IS PROBIBLY A GREAT GUY BUT HE IS JUST MAKING SOME MISTAKES WHEN IT COMES TO OPERATING THE SLED IN SOME WAYS.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 16, 2009 03:30AM
remember this is your eyes and opinion thats it you are not god its thier risk not yours

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 11:25AM
find a new worry get on with it its his life not yours

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 11:50AM
dan is an ok guy but when he put on his own pull he needs to change some things about it. i had to leave early because it was running late and i had a long ride a head of me so i went up to scratch from the class and she told me that i could not get my money back for the class. i asked why and she said the dan was keeping it. that is the first pull that i have been at that because you had to leave early for some reason that you could not get it back. i later talked to some pullers at another pull and they said that that happened to them there but someone told them if you said that if you were broke you would get your money back. i know alot of puller that night left because it was raining and nasty trying to load the tractors on the trailors and none of them got their money back because they said that the money could not be given back to them by the same girl i guess that i talked to. is it safer to load and leave or wait and load when everything is wet and slick and have an accident happen. i would pick load and leave and we should not be punished for the safty of ourselves and the safty of the spectators, because you could not see anything in the pit area and the spectators were walking all around the area. it was a good pull but he needs to change the deal with if someone has to leave, give them there money back or maybe we should sign up 1 time and then sign up later for the other class. i am sure they wont like that and if he keeps that up he wont have many pullers coming back because of the keeping the money that really does not belong to him anyway. it was for me to pull and i did not so i should of gotten it back. and yes i did say something and they said no that he was keeping the extra money from the pullers that did not pull. i think it is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 12:11PM
If ur talking about plainfield. It didn't rain. It did run late. But no rain

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 12:53PM
you must have had to much to drink because yes it did rain maybe not much but enough to make things slick loading tractors on trailors and yes it did run really late, so if someone had to leave for some reason don't punish the guy by keeping his money for yourselves. but yes i was there watching the pull and it was raining later that night.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 01:30PM
Me drink? Now that is a good one! Oh my!

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 02:39PM
That IS a funny one !!!!!!
I have never seen tugger drink an alcoholic beverage.
Oh well, heavy dew, rain, it is all the same. We have had to load after a heavy dew a lot lately.
Amazes me the folks that'll spend lots of money for a pull tractor (or truck), hauler (dually or semi), trailer, (open or enclosed) and not spend 5 to 600 on a good winch.
But then, my stuff broke so much, I NEVER count on being able to drive it on a trailer!

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 03:25PM
When I got the trailer I got now, I was informed to get a winch. My advise is get the biggest u can. As far as that pull goes. It was misting real good, but we were watching radar and it all was busting up. It was late but Mabel was a lot later and I bet dell rapids will be to. I was home by 2. As far as the drinks go....no. None for me. I value my safety, so none before the pull. After the pull, my boys have only me, so none for me after. And I am good with that. The people that pull with/agaist me know that and respect that. Please let the dan thing go. I've known dan for a long time. He is a good person and does not deserve the bashing that u are giving
Thanks
John Platte
Turbo Up
"Tugger"

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 14, 2009 05:32PM
Brings up an interesting question. How much winch does it take to pull ,say a 10,000 pound tractor,onto a 3' gooseneck?

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 15, 2009 06:41AM
I've seen 8000 lb. rated winches do that. For the price diff. I think I would spring for the 12,000 rated winch.
Planetary ones are a tad faster line speed.
Make sure to pick up a snatch block in case something locks up and you need to double your line pull.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 15, 2009 01:10PM
I agree with you that if you have to leave early for some reason the orginization putting on the pull should not have the right to keep your money. If you did not pull in the class that you signed up for, then you should automaticlly get it back. It is really easy for the person doing the paper work if you have to scratch from a class. All they have to do is cross your name off and give you your money unless it is to much work for the person behind the table, and if it is then they should have not been there in the first place and had someone that knows what to do and can handle something that easy. What was the reason that Dan thought that he should keep the money from the guys that either broke had to leave or loaded their tractors because of the rain or heavy dew on the field where people had to park their tractors. Not eveyone has a cable to load and they have no reason to put one on if they only pull once and a while. How do you think we did it years ago, we never had cables on trailors to pull tractors on. But I also would like to know why the pullers did not get their money back, and why Dan W thought that he should keep it. I talked to several people later that week and they did not get their money back because of that. I guess we all will have to sign up for one class and later sign up for the other one, and I know the ladies will not like the rush two times but I will spread the word and let people know what he is doing to the pullers that came to support his pull and that is how he wants to thank us. Not good business.

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 15, 2009 02:24PM
Before I headed to that pull I checked weather as I had over an hour drive and knew that there was a chance of rain. I went anyway! Pt is if you are worried about the $20 then maybe you should do something else besides pull!!! When I signed up I knew there was a chance that it may rain. In fact when it sprinkled I was bummed not because I would be out my entry but that I would not hook that night! As it turned out it did not rain and a lot of pullers left suddenly. I would bet that if it would have actually rained it out that you would have gotten your money back but I guess we'll never know. I just think that soo many people bailed when indeed it barely rained enough to get my tractor wet.
Anyway let's quit beating on Dan. This thread has gone on long enough. I'm thankful there was a pull to go to that weekend and would have been more than happy to let them keep my entry if that means there will be one next yr!!!

Happy Pulling

P.S. If you are worried about loading in the rain then I would think it would be a good idea to get a winch as sometime somewhere you will have to load on wet ramps!! Pretty cheap insurance!!

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 16, 2009 03:38AM
one big bully of a family bitched and did get all thier money and actually more than they ever paid at the gate or to pull come on whos honest we all know the big bully of a family

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 16, 2009 03:34AM
it is very hard to fihure a pay put on a class if you all pull out because a rain drop falls or you got beat the first round there wpold be no money for you so you have to draw a line somewhere or i guess thes pulls wouldnt be going on remember at the meeeting the complaint department was dan go to him dont hide behind the computer and stir a good thing up

Re: SLED OPERATOR (NOT SAFE) September 16, 2009 03:45AM
when you spend how much on a tractor and how much on fuel and how much to get it ther why would you ever plan on leaving early and what is twenty bucks maybe its time to hang it up hu just have fun thats whats its about not finding little fault have you ever put a pull on yourself its alot of work and money also think about it we all do the best we can give it up wwjd

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,774, Posts: 229,941, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,029.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009