piston coatings September 09, 2009 02:16AM
are piston coatings worth the money? should you do the tops and skirts?

Re: piston coatings September 09, 2009 09:00AM
I use Tech Line products on the pistons that I do. Ceramic coat the top of the piston. This coating has been tested at over 2000 degrees. The benefit is protection against detonation, and less heat soaking into the piston. Ceramic coating will help aid in evacuation of the heat from the piston area.

I dry film lube the skirts. This helps to reduce scuffing, and helps to retain oil. This is really important if you run a lot of boost. As fuel blows by the rings it acts as a solvent making you oil less effective.

An oil shed coating can be applied to the bottom of the piston. As hot oil sticks to the bottom it becomes an insulator. Heat can not easily escape. This could be a real problem on back to back runs. The oil shed help to allow the oil to return to the oil pan, thus improving cooling and performance. Oil shed can be used on the rods and crank also.

For more information check out www.advancepull.com
Or call (731)424-2906
Thanks
Joshua Mobley
Advanced Pulling Technology

Re: piston coatings September 09, 2009 09:54AM
how many runs does the coating last? can you recoat a used piston?

Re: piston coatings September 09, 2009 02:29PM
Coatings should last the life of the part. As long as the engine is tuned properly. All parts half to be media blasted before coating so you are impregnating the material with the coating. The dry film lube burnishes to a near zero dimension so as the part wears it constantly renews the lube. You can expect 2-10 times normal part life. Please understand you still need quality parts to start with. Mechanical breakage will damage the ceramic coatings. Example would be a valve contacting the top of the piston. Engine bearings are a popular item to coat. Yes I can coat used pistons.
Thanks,
Joshua Mobley
(731)424-2906
www.advancepull.com
jmobley@advancepull.com

Re: piston coatings September 10, 2009 02:41AM
Ceramic coating is DEFIINTELY worth the expense. You can take ordinary parts and multiply their endurance ten fold. I have taken used pistons that were tossed aside by others, had them treated, and had them last 5 years or more. LOTS of applications for ceramic. The MOLY coating on the skirts is also very beneficial. There's LOTS of "Space Shuttle" technology out there that can be applied to our "Model T level" equipment to make it last longer. Another one is Kryogenics. Micro Blue might be the most recent one.

Re: piston coatings September 10, 2009 09:04AM
How much does the coatings cost?

Re: piston coatings September 10, 2009 09:29AM
It's realitivly cheap.............usually between $20 - $50 a piston, depending on what you all have done and how many processes you do.........ie, ceramic, moly, kryo, blue jet, hyper-eut, etc.......... You can do anything and everthing from rockers to crankshafts, bearings to valves, etc......the sky is PROBABLY (NOT "PROLLY" , as I see so often in lots of posts) the limit.

Re: piston coatings Cost September 10, 2009 04:25PM
You can do up to 3 stages of coatings. (Top,Skirt.Bottom) About $100 per stage plus $50 for prep and application. I give a 5% discount if you do all 3 stages. For a set of 8 it would be $285 for the coatings plus $50 for prep/application. Set of 6 all 3 stages of coatings $213.75 plus $50.

You can do a lot of coating or a little. I have performance coatings for virtually any automotive part including turbos and plumbing.

Thanks,
Joshua Mobley
(731)424-2906
jmobley@advancepull.com
www.advancepull.com

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009