Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 06, 2023 03:27AM
Another evolution ( thanks John Murray) Pro Stock question. From the first edition of PS to today's tractors what is the HP increase?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 06, 2023 05:58AM
3 fold ---- early days probably 1500 -- now days 4000 plus .

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 06, 2023 06:41AM
Heck, I bet when pro stock first started they were between 500-700hp. Now they are touching 5,000 on the right dyno I believe.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 06, 2023 11:10AM
When the PS class first started there wasnt a one of them making close to 1000 horsepower.My how things have changed.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 06, 2023 07:19AM
The first hyper setup was around 800 HP

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 06, 2023 09:44AM
My other question is, I wonder in the first couple years of the class if you had of asked the pullers what is the most HP can you get out of a single charger, 680 cubic inch diesel what would their answer have been?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 06, 2023 10:41AM
A famous puller told me that my LLSS makes more power than his SS did in the early 80'ies when he was Grand National Champion. Stuff has sure chanced.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 07, 2023 07:33AM
The old guys say the hot farm 466 class make more power then there old SS

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 07, 2023 08:20AM
J BeGone
The old guys say the hot farm 466 class make more power then there old SS

A puller who would know much more about diesel tractors (and dump truck motors) that I ever will once said on Fonda's board a few years ago even a SS from the mid'70s on made more power than a modern SF. I'd think a 640 ci SF would make more power than a 466 hot farm. I'm siding with the dump truck motor guy on this one.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 07, 2023 12:18PM
I posed that question..I still say a modern sf would out perform any mid seventys ss

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 07, 2023 02:00PM
sf outperforms nothing in any era! The fact you have to go back 50 years to compare a class shows what a joke it is!

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 07, 2023 02:44PM
Fan 2
sf outperforms nothing in any era! The fact you have to go back 50 years to compare a class shows what a joke it is!

I bet a super farm would outpull a 466 hot farm. No disrespect, but 174 ci difference is a lot to overcome.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 07, 2023 04:38PM
The Original Michael

I bet a super farm would outpull a 466 hot farm. No disrespect, but 174 ci difference is a lot to overcome.

Why don't ya place your bet on full pull bets?

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 07, 2023 04:46PM
Michael, you are a Mary Frederick genius Gump!!! I would hope to shout!!! 17 to 1800 hp 640s against maybe 1400 ish on your best 466 3x3s I certainly would hope that a superfarm would out pull a 466 hot farm 3x3! I have to disagree with your "dump truck motor guy" the turbo
And fuel pump technology just wasn't there in the 70's. "No disrespect" just sayin.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 07, 2023 11:49PM
Just sayin
17 to 1800 hp 640s

This^^^^^ biden inflation has really gotten out of hand...........Grinning

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 08, 2023 12:39AM
So you have seen the dyno numbers to prove them wrong? Doubt it!

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 08, 2023 11:15AM
Dave Wilhelm

Nancy P. loves you Dave! LOL... Are you afraid to post your name ? I’m not. Do you know what a sf dynos at now? I do. Apparently you don’t

A fire hose blasting Nitrous....Power Mist...and Michigan H2O all at the same time isn't going to get a 3" turbine head to make 1800 HP. If you have witnessed these numbers,... then you have seen a dyno that is so far out of calculation that it's day job was counting the 81 million votes for FJB....

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 09, 2023 01:40AM
Made in China load valves

Nancy P. loves you Dave! LOL... Are you afraid to post your name ? I’m not. Do you know what a sf dynos at now? I do. Apparently you don’t

A fire hose blasting Nitrous....Power Mist...and Michigan H2O all at the same time isn't going to get a 3" turbine head to make 1800 HP. If you have witnessed these numbers,... then you have seen a dyno that is so far out of calculation that it's day job was counting the 81 million votes for FJB....
Wow, did I hurt your feelings? Go to your safe space with your coloring book. Hope you feel better!

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 09, 2023 02:09AM
Dave Wilhelm

A fire hose blasting Nitrous....Power Mist...and Michigan H2O all at the same time isn't going to get a 3" turbine head to make 1800 HP. If you have witnessed these numbers,... then you have seen a dyno that is so far out of calculation that it's day job was counting the 81 million votes for FJB....Wow, did I hurt your feelings? Go to your safe space with your coloring book. Hope you feel better!

Spinning

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 08, 2023 11:23AM
There is really no way to compare. The old sleds was a tough pull from the get go. Todays sleds let you get up and run. The multi charger tractors from back in the day would out pull a sf on todays sled for sure provided they where geared up for todays sleds.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 09, 2023 04:24AM
Yes the old sleds pulled hard from the get go. But if have todays big pros that much draw bare from the start they would really be flying by mid track

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 08, 2023 09:28AM
If your best argument for sf is that it outpulls a hot farm, that's pretty sad! Keep those classes at the local level where they belong.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 08, 2023 02:06AM
I know this will never happen..but kohls have hooked thier prostock 856 at legends hooks,I surely think it's detuned, and on don't break it mode..right there's a above average 407 ih prostock from the early 80s,I remember it well,very well..someone should start a grudge match make a wish bet,it against check-n-out at bg..2 hooks,modern sled setting and an old fashion setting,if anyone still knows what that is.as much as I loved the kohls tractors,I'm betting on checking out,include the single wheeled jd from pa too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2023 02:10AM by patches.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 08, 2023 01:46AM
patches
I posed that question..I still say a modern sf would out perform any mid seventys ss

The SF tractors seem to have made some horsepower advances in the past 5 years so I would agree that they might be close to the equal of a heavy SS tractor from the mid 1970's-early 1980's??I'm guessing the current SF's are in the 1600-1700 plus hp range..No one was on an engine dyno in the 1970's so the SS horsepower numbers are pretty much just guesses from those days...We have much better turbos,pumps-etc now days..A top 466 3x3 hot farm in my area is around 1300-1400 hp depending on whose dyno its on..The sleds have changed so much thats its hard to compare 40-50 year old pullers to todays pullers.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 08, 2023 02:49AM
What I know,
The other thing that make these comparisons difficult is tires. If today's super farm tractors were running old style pulling tires they wouldn't hook nearly as hard and therefore spin the tires harder plus they would have to run a different gear because of the way the old sleds worked. Because of those two factors the modern SF might be closer to the old PS that we might think, or even SS.

S'no Farmer

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 08, 2023 06:37PM
Micheal, no disrespect but I’m siding with twood on this one. I know the famous puller he is referring to. I believe his 12 NTPA GN championships and nickname speak with enough diesel knowledge.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 09, 2023 03:23PM
When the class started it was the CHEAP way to get into pulling 1 turbo charger and 24.5 x 32 tires. DO ANY OF YOU REMEMBER THAT???????? Now we have MORE classes with 1 turbo charger and NONE of them are CHEAP!

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 11, 2023 01:01AM
The first year of pro stock in Illinois was 1979. Tractors were running 11mm P pump, TH08 Air Research turbo and 466 cubic inch motors that were generating about 500 hp. We were running in high second on a 1206. Some had a fast second gear. We stepped away from pulling shortly after and returned to pulling in 1998 with a 1066 farm stock with a 13mm P pump HX50 holset with a 2.3” wheel and 466 generating 550 hp 2500rpm and running in high 4th.

Re: Another evolution Pro Stock question. This one about HP. April 11, 2023 03:38AM
4000 hp??? the top pros today are making nearly 5000!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,628, Posts: 229,690, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520