How far should pullers be expected to travel? April 24, 2023 01:37AM
Are pulling organizations demanding to much travel from their members? With the price of fuel, time on the road and time away from work and family what is a reasonable foot print for the sport. I know that state level pulling is generally an easy drive in most instances. However national pulling is another thing completely. I realize that national organizations never want to turn away a potential event, however at what cost. When you look at some events that are not a reasonable drive the number of vehicles is usually down. What the promoter was hoping for and what really happened are two different things. Granted some events that are a long haul are so well run that it's an easy decision for the pullers. Others, nor so many.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: How far should pullers be expected to travel? April 24, 2023 02:38AM
One only has to look at events like Rock Springs Wyoming and Ottertail Minnesota as a couple of examples of Grand National events that did not last long on the circuit.

Re: How far should pullers be expected to travel? April 24, 2023 03:03AM
Stacy
One only has to look at events like Rock Springs Wyoming and Ottertail Minnesota as a couple of examples of Grand National events that did not last long on the circuit.

This premise of Dick's question is based on being midwest-centric.

For Eder, Biers, Mark Cole, even Benedict and Criswell, going to Langford would be a lot closer than going to Rockwell.

Obviously, Bauer, Knapp, Rose, and Purser would be closer to Rockwell. Purser was closer to Dodge City than any other NTPA pull btw. The Johnson family from Powell, WY were much closer to Rock Springs. People complained about going to Essex Junction, but it was much closer for Gardner.

All this to say, travel distance is relative to where one starts from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2023 03:04AM by The Original Michael.

Sponsorship opportunity? April 24, 2023 03:31AM
So I see this as a chance for sponsorship. Team up with Pilot, Flying J, whoever as the official truck stop of the NTPA. Competitors get so much off per gallon. Sanctioning body gets to put a poster of all national events in all the truck stops and national schedules at the register. Now said truck stop has the pullers stopping in for fuel, fans stopping in for fuel and snacks for hungry kids. Puts pulling in front of all kinds of eyes when people stop in on their travels. Not sure what dollar amount you attach to “official truck stop” just shooting from hip as a type.

Re: Sponsorship opportunity? April 24, 2023 06:32AM
There was a loves truck stop tanker out in the middle of the track at the MATS pull this year during opening ceremony. Don’t remember them saying anything about them though.

Re: How far should pullers be expected to travel? April 24, 2023 04:01AM
Is distance harder than too many night booked? We are going back on the Champions Tour this year, with 9-12 nights booked and likely, its much easier than another local group trying to book 29 nights. Also, don't mind driving 6-15 hours if I know I'm going to have a great event to compete at when I get there, would I wish it was closer...sure. But having a pit spot with our name on it, and a good or decent track, and great sleds and promoters that care and want to put on professional shows, draws me to it, the NTPA does a great job on these things with the exception of a parking space too. We just have to set the time aside to do those events and the travelling involved, but again its easier than 29 nights, that's another career.

BB

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,669, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,890.

Our newest member JD_8520