Belt guard May 08, 2023 01:18PM
Who makes blower belt guards out of tubing.

Re: Belt guard May 10, 2023 11:48AM
Dale Cannister Johnstown,OH. Cannistermotorsports.com

S'no Farmer

Re: Belt guard May 10, 2023 02:19PM
The word "guard" needs to be in quotes.
They only keep the huge parts from flying out.

Re: Belt guard May 10, 2023 02:58PM
HP,
Those are the best gaurds I've ever used...they stay put . Small pieces don't hurt as badly as big ones! When the guards come apart big pieces fly. Just sayin !!! BTW might see you this summer, heading to Iowa this year.

S'no Farmer

Re: Belt guard May 10, 2023 04:53PM
Hope to see you !!
I'll be at Tomah, and Hutchinson, too.

Re: Belt guard May 11, 2023 12:19AM
Talking about belt guard, has it ever happen that one of the drive pulleys or the idler pulley fell off and went into spectators direction?

Re: Belt guard May 11, 2023 12:27AM
Carlsson, I bet you are fun at parties.... #buzzkill

Re: Belt guard May 11, 2023 01:31AM
Carlsson
Yes they come off on rare occasions but I've only seen one go into the crowd.

S'no Farmer

Re: Belt guard May 11, 2023 02:29AM
diam: 8"
weigth: 5 lbs
rot.speed: 8000 rpm
tang.speed v0: 240ft/sec

Assumed that during the transition from primarily rotating body only to partially rotating/travelling body, the object is able to transfer half of its kinetic energy into the translational motion (dependig on contact friction, losses etc)...

cons.travel velo.=v1=v0/2=120ft/sec

Ekin=0.5*m*v²: 1600J

To get an idea of its order, a .375 magnum pistol with a bullet weight of appr 150 grains and a speed of appr 1600ft/sec creates appr 1200J
For sure, the impact contact area will be much different, probably it'll end up as most with some scratches on the iphone infront of the spectators head.

Re: Belt guard May 11, 2023 12:21PM
Actually it was my old chassis with different engines and the pulley hit a fellow puller in the shin/calf and did a substantial amount of damage. She was sitting on a truck bed I believe at track side. If I remember correctly the pulley climbed up a concrete barrier then hit her. Not sure if it hit a barrier or if it bounced. The scary part was there we little kids all around her.

I lost a top blower pulley at BG once, it just hit the ground and stopped but in that case the engine was just coming up on RPM so not a lot of velocity there.

I've thought many times about making a cover but haven't yet. Sometimes if these things aren't done correctly they become the problem.

S'no Farmer

Re: Belt guard May 11, 2023 07:25PM
I'm glad that at least a few people thinking about additional measures at their own vehicle on a voluntary basis. Thumbs Up

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,827, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,963.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro