Thanks Tomah June 25, 2023 01:49AM
I spent the weekend in Tomah and just want to say it continues to impress as far as an in person experience from the people keeping the show moving to the track crew and track conditions to the well spoken and knowledgeable announcers it was again a great time as always!

Re: Thanks Tomah June 25, 2023 07:13AM
"... the well spoken and knowledgeable announcers..." were whom?
Glad to hear a couple very positive reports on this board about the just completed Tomah pull.

Re: Thanks Tomah June 25, 2023 07:48AM
Miles Kreiger, Alan Washburn and Doc Reilly were the announcers and always do a fantastic job.

Re: Thanks Tomah June 25, 2023 11:43AM
Announcers are knowledgeable, but kept talking about tractor “A” when tractor “B” was actually pulling. It got a little confusing. The pace of the pull Thursday was pretty slow, did seem to move along better on Friday. Wasting 5 minutes so a guy can hook the sled and then drive away just to get points is stupid. NTPA should change that rule.

Re: Thanks Tomah June 26, 2023 12:23AM
Pretty sure they did change the rule so that you get last place points if you have to go home and fix before 2nd hook of a big event.

Re: Thanks Tomah July 01, 2023 05:59AM
Grubby
Announcers are knowledgeable, but kept talking about tractor “A” when tractor “B” was actually pulling. It got a little confusing. The pace of the pull Thursday was pretty slow, did seem to move along better on Friday. Wasting 5 minutes so a guy can hook the sled and then drive away just to get points is stupid. NTPA should change that rule.

Grubby, are you talking in person or live stream? I know that sometimes we get crossed up talking about vehicles. Live stream happens probably more.

Re: Thanks Tomah July 05, 2023 02:56AM
Doc, I was there in person with some friends. We had the same complaint it was hard to follow who you and Alan were talking about at times. Seemed like there were quite a few times you would talk about pullers after they pulled and someone else was either hooking to the sled or pulling. It was challenging to keep track who you were talking about. The talk during a hook is hard to hear which also adds to the confusion. otherwise it was an awesome show looking forward to next year. Hope that helps.

Re: Thanks Tomah July 05, 2023 03:29AM
I have that question a lot when it comes to pulling, listening to sports radio, etc. I hate it when someone's name is mentioned once, ONCE, at the start of a conversation and then the rest of it is all pronouns. "He" this and "him" that. If a person is unable to hear it or they can't make out what was said, they really have no idea who is being talked about. That's my pet peeve. And this isn't directed at any one announcer either.

Simple advice to public speakers everywhere: Avoid the use of pronouns.

OK. How do I get down from this soap box?

Re: Thanks Tomah July 05, 2023 10:59AM
ALL pulling venues need to take notes from Summit Raceway Park
Sat through the finals last Sunday and could hear everything being said with Nitro cars running in the background
They have huge speakers mounted to the concrete all along the track
In my opinion the biggest thing holding pulling back is the sound system everywhere, I don’t care how familiar you are with the sport, it can be hard to distinguish a lot of the vehicles from 300’ away and even worse no idea the distances or the placements, as far as announcers go speak at a reasonable speed and clearly and please don’t talk during the pull and no music
I bought a ticket to hear screaming motors not a bunch garbled mess

Re: Thanks Tomah July 06, 2023 03:23AM
I feel the same way when they're talking about tractor A when tractor B is hooking up. This maybe the persons first time pulling at the event or his moment of glory for some tv time. Along with the trophy presentations running the same time as as puller is pulling.

Re: Thanks Tomah July 06, 2023 05:28AM
No they are not always talking about the tractor directly in front of you however it’s still not difficult to follow along if you are paying any kind of attention to what is being said, but then again I can see if differently if you don’t know any of the pullers/tractors .

Re: Thanks Tomah July 06, 2023 06:15AM
At a local county fair when the promoter's brother in law Jim Bob announces for his one time a year, I would not expect familiarity with all the vehicles.
At a Grand National-level event, I would expect the announcers to be familiar, or quickly learn, which vehicle is which. Even at a large pull like Tomah or Bowling Green, there is not that much turnover year to year. An announcer should already know nearly 90% of the vehicles just from prior experiences.

One announcing pet peeve is when the test hook drops or class is restarted, and the announcer cannot get his head out of the lineup sheet to see who is actually on the track. There were a couple guys at Bowling Green who used to be do this often. The person they announced who drives a John Deere was not on the track, the actual vehicle already hooked to the sled was a Case-IH for example. I've read announcers try to justify this by saying "the officials don't always communicate this...."

Again, I'm not talking about who in theory the next guy in order should be, I'm talking about when there is actually a tractor/truck on the track hooking to the sled (if not already hooked), and they still announce the wrong one. Sometimes, the vehicle will make the hook and the announcer will still say the wrong puller's name after he's made his run.

Re: Thanks Tomah July 06, 2023 07:03AM
I was referring to this from a spectator standpoint, yes the announcers should and most often do know the competitors/vehicles, I was saying for a fan that isn’t familiar with them it’s easier to get lost in what’s going on .

Re: Thanks Tomah June 25, 2023 08:06AM
Miles did a great job with the trivia during the pull and side line reporting I thought, Doc was good with his knowlage most of the time, Allen needs a little work with his knowlage and who has what equipment, The comment that European pullers still run 7 blown engines was way off from the truth for example. The most they run anymore is 5. Otherwise, announcing was very good.

Re: Thanks Tomah June 25, 2023 10:17AM
I find that they all have their own personal strengths, none of them do it 100% perfectly but as a combination I couldn’t ask for a better group to do the job.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,652, Posts: 229,727, Members: 3,326.
This forum: Topics: 37,069, Posts: 225,914.

Our newest member JD_8520