Magnetic RPM Pickup June 25, 2023 11:45AM
What magnets are you guys using for the sled box RPM pickups? Have the whole plug and sensor but not a magnet. Would the local hardware store have what I need? Fridge magnet? How much pull is needed? Looking to get something quick, don’t have time to wait on the snail mail. Any help is appreciated

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 25, 2023 11:31PM
I suggest to try it by wiring it with jumper cables/breadboard to a source and look at the multimeter or scope what happens when you're passing an ordinary magnet along. If something in the order of a usual fridge magnet already works fine (consider appropriate air gap!!!), then give it a chance. To be on the safe side I would prefer the clunkiest thing, maybe something out of a speaker box. The heavier, the more reliable in terms of proper magnetic field etc. One final thing to mention, magnets hate high temps. Please ensure that it doesn't see significant beyond 170-180degF ,else it will loose effectiveness quite soon and forever.

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 26, 2023 07:40AM
10PCs 6.35x 6.35X6.35mm N52 1/4" x1/4" x1/16" Square Rare Earth Block Magnets, got them off eBay. I used this and it works well, glued it to the damper too with similar glue that comes with the IssPro magnetic sensors.

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 26, 2023 12:45PM
Can you test RPM Read with a ohm meter? For some reason mine doesn't read when plugged into sled box.

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 26, 2023 06:52PM
Testing the functionality (RPM signal) of a magnet principle speed sensor seem impossible to me. From my pov you need the embedded logic behind as well, at least the wiring for the signal conditioning. If the final micro controller in charge is however not available instantly, I would try to read it with a scope first.

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 26, 2023 01:21PM
Go to wal mart craft section get a package of 1/2" magnets and super glue one to a clean spot on shaft

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 27, 2023 12:12AM
Why don’t people just go off flywheel? I got two hot stock 1066 that I get rpm off flywheel. Just use John Deere combine sensor from feeder house or cylinder speed. It picks up magnetic field you don’t need to glue magnets or nothing. Just gotta get it close to flywheel then run wires to gauge and plug.

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 27, 2023 02:28AM
I assume that a hall sensor, which needs a magnetic field passing by to work, just won't react to simple steel mass passing by. Sensors used at toothed wheels, gears etc are typically either inductive or vr sensors. Sensors with react at magnets are mostly hall sensors.

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 27, 2023 03:07AM
That’s why you use flywheel. It’s a toothed gear. I been running this for years. Sensor came off 9500 combine cylinder speed

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 27, 2023 06:18AM
Just FYI the gear tooth sensors won't work with the rpm box that OP is asking about. Only a single magnet will work.

Re: Magnetic RPM Pickup June 27, 2023 08:06AM
Maybe because the rules say otherwise? This isn't for a tachometer that you can read, it is for the box on the sled that is set up for a specific sensor.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,723, Posts: 229,851, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,976.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro