Allied torque shimming July 08, 2023 07:41AM
Have a 6 disk allied ta I bought used, I had it gone through by Neuman in Wisconsin. I'm getting around to putting it in and the shaft has .035 in play . The torque housing is shimmed correct to .018. the shaft has a constant play of .035. Is there something wrong internal or will it be fine?

Thanks,
Oly

Re: Allied torque shimming July 08, 2023 12:30PM
Oly
Have a 6 disk allied ta I bought used, I had it gone through by Neuman in Wisconsin. I'm getting around to putting it in and the shaft has .035 in play . The torque housing is shimmed correct to .018. the shaft has a constant play of .035. Is there something wrong internal or will it be fine?

Thanks,
Oly

You shim the quill housing and its not shimmed correctly if it still has .035 of shaft end play. You install the TA without shims, get your end play measurement then use the correct amount of shims to get it shimmed to .005”-.025”, anyway thats how a stock one is installed, would think a pulling TA would be the same. Call Neuman in Wisconsin Monday to confirm.

Re: Allied torque shimming July 09, 2023 08:21AM
The torque is shimmed to .018. the shaft has .035 of play back and forth in the torque

Re: Allied torque shimming November 01, 2023 02:55AM
@Oly
Did you ever figure this issue out, got my TA back and I’m having the same issue. No matter the shims I put under the quill housing, I can’t get rid of the shaft end play like I can on a new farm HD TA for farm use.
I can put shims under the quill housing where the input shaft won’t hardly turn but yet still have end play. Right now I have the TA in, installed without shims I had .073” put .060 worth of shims input shaft spins noticeably harder, still have .033” end play, added a .015” still .033 end play, more noticeable shaft “drag.

Re: Allied torque shimming November 01, 2023 04:06AM
I called the guy who went through the torque and he told me not to worry about the shaft end play. As long as the torque itself is shimmed correctly it should be fine.

Re: Allied torque shimming November 01, 2023 06:33AM
Oly
I called the guy who went through the torque and he told me not to worry about the shaft end play. As long as the torque itself is shimmed correctly it should be fine.

Ok cool!
So how did you determine if it was shimmed correctly? I talked to Karl about it and he said basically by feel, but now thinking about it, I might take the .073” of end play and subtract that from the .033” I can’t get rid of, .040” and use that number to get the shim correct, so one .030” shim should be good and theoretically be .010” of clearance. Is that what you did?

Re: Allied torque shimming November 01, 2023 08:08AM
I still measure off the input shaft and pried on the TA housing through the trans brake hole. Just made sure the input shaft was seated so that play didn't affect the TA housing free play to quill clearance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2023 08:09AM by Oly.

Re: Allied torque shimming November 01, 2023 09:15AM
Oly
I still measure off the input shaft and pried on the TA housing through the trans brake hole. Just made sure the input shaft was seated so that play didn't affect the TA housing free play to quill clearance
Just so I get this straight, you made sure the TA as a whole was seated against the quill/quill housing, then through the trans brake opening you pried against the TA housing to keep it seated, then you got your shaft end play? I’m trying to picture what you did but, I’m not sure if what I’m thinking you did is correct with what you actually did.

Re: Allied torque shimming November 01, 2023 09:25AM
I checked end play with the dial indicator on the input shaft and pried the TA housing up and own through the trans brake hole. That gave me TA shim to quill. I didn't touch the input shaft while doing so to eliminate the possibility of the input shaft play affecting the ta to quill end play.

Re: Allied torque shimming November 01, 2023 10:09AM
Oly
I checked end play with the dial indicator on the input shaft and pried the TA housing up and own through the trans brake hole. That gave me TA shim to quill. I didn't touch the input shaft while doing so to eliminate the possibility of the input shaft play affecting the ta to quill end play.

Got it! Thank you very much!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,702, Posts: 229,802, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard