20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 22, 2023 12:19PM
I currently pull a 1066 high 2nd, ta ahead and can go 11.6-11.8 mph. How fast do you think I could go if I upgraded to 20.8X42 tires? And is there gains to the longer footprint?

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 22, 2023 03:24PM
42’s seem to be a double edged sword from what I see in my area, but its a lot of pace pulling, they either do really good, or there is too much footprint to firmly plant and they sit and spin. For an open speed class 38’s all day, pace I preffer 38’s as I feel they are more universal but there are times 42’s will definately walk the dog on 38’s. If you want to go with bigger tires, remember they take more power to turn, so in the long run you may end up pulling the TA and going slower if you are relatively stock

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 23, 2023 05:41AM
Thanks for your reply. I have the horsepower to run the 42's I feel. What I need is a 2.5 gear, just was thinking 42's may be a quick and possibly poor man's way to get some gear into it, with possible positive side affect of larger footprint.

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 23, 2023 08:24AM
Like I said, I’ve seen them go both ways. Just check local rules too, some places around me don’t allow them. What classes are you primarily running? Both weight and speed?

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 01:25AM
I pull 11500 to 13500 classes, 8,10,12 mph. I guess I understand they could go both ways, but like I said, what I really want to know is if anyone has run them in a stock geared 1066 etc, how many mph can you get out of 2nd gear TA ahead.

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 02:04AM
MATH is your friend.
There is a formula that you can calculate that right on your smart phone, sitting on your recliner.
Google is your friend as well.
A communist friend, but it has the information.

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 02:09AM
Google and math are your friend, so are forums with real world experiences. Math/formulas work if you have all the numbers to input and I do not. Thanks

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 02:16AM
Then you do some actual work.
A tape measure is your friend.
So, there goes sitting on the recliner (or toilet), and figuring this out.

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 05:43AM
Thanks so much for your addition to this thread, it's been soooo helpful, here I thought the Answer Man would have some answers. Sorry, gotta go time wipe.

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 06:18AM
Thanks so much for your addition to this thread, it's been soooo helpful, here I thought the Answer Man would have some answers. Sorry, gotta go time wipe.

Go to wipeout enterprises website….. they have what your looking for, you just got to plug in the tooth counts of everything, which for the most part is there on their program but there are some you will have to find by researching and figure out what you have(ring and pinion). Then your going to have to figure out how tall your tires are and how many rpms you run. The search function here is your friend……it took me a long while of sifting through threads to find what I needed. No body can tell you what you need or want to know without you doing some checking yourself. To find how tall a certain tire is, go to the manufacturer and look, print things out if necessary and lay it sxs and look at foot print sq/in of both 38’s and 42’s of whom ever tire manufacturer. Again, research and search and google is how I found out what I needed in my search for information. What you want to know is out there.
Good luck.

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 06:37AM
IHFarmer07

Go to wipeout enterprises website….. they have what your looking for, you just got to plug in the tooth counts of everything, which for the most part is there on their program but there are some you will have to find by researching and figure out what you have(ring and pinion). Then your going to have to figure out how tall your tires are and how many rpms you run. The search function here is your friend……it took me a long while of sifting through threads to find what I needed. No body can tell you what you need or want to know without you doing some checking yourself. To find how tall a certain tire is, go to the manufacturer and look, print things out if necessary and lay it sxs and look at foot print sq/in of both 38’s and 42’s of whom ever tire manufacturer. Again, research and search and google is how I found out what I needed in my search for information. What you want to know is out there.
Good luck.

Excellent advice IH puller!!
I wouldn't expect him to follow it, however.
It'll take some thought and work.
He seems allergic to both.
I applaud you spoon feeding him the information you did.
You are a fine human being!

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 07:42AM
IHfarmer07 thanks for you reply and "spoon feeding it to me" . I can see you are trying to legitimately help after all that is what forums are for, not just for bombing in and saying go find it for yourself, so thanks for that and I will look into Wipe Outs website. I will agree with the Answer Man, you my friend are a fine human being, keep that up, I know there are a few out there yet, at least 2 from what I can tell in this thread so far(not including myself of coarse) . I was hoping someone, somewhere had made this swap from 38 to 42 20.8's, and despite conditions, rpms,gears etc could be differences the the A to B result could be something I could learn from. You will have to excuse my ignorance, I'm allergic to most all things, thought, work, seemingly communication with others, really all I am able to do is be a keyboard nuisance asking for the easy way out, splitting my time between my recliner and my toilet. Here's another question, has anyone ever swapped a tractor seat for a recliner or toilet and had better pulling performances from the swap? I guess I'd have to find a calculator online and make some measurements, to figure it out. Maybe someone has done it before?

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 11:53AM
Lol thanks guest and shell answer man for the kind words. I learned from a good man on this site(@twood) that in order to grow the sport, get more people into pulling and to keep people into the sport, that sometimes a person needs to help others to the best of they’re knowledge. I do have to say, I did get some chuckles out of this thread, entertaining indeed.

Guest, its under media and tech tips. Got any questions, don’t be afraid to ask. I’ve thought HARD about the switch myself because 20.8 38’s are so darn expensive and hard to find used, sometimes I’ve seen them for sale used with 30% tread for darn close to what new is!
Guest, to answer your question on mounting a toilet or recliner to a tractor for a seat, thats up to you, if thats the only choices, the toilet would be more aerodynamic but hard on the bottom! Your a good sport throughout this thread lol!

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 07:46AM
IHFarmer07

Good luck.

Thanks for your replyl IHFarmer07

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 10:14AM
I went from 18.4-38 to 18.4-42 at around 3000 rpm and 6500-7500 # and gained 5mph if that helps you any.Unfortunately I’m looking for 38’s again because I have nowhere to run anymore so I’m gonna end up running mph classes I guess

Re: 20.8X38 vs. 20.8X42 July 24, 2023 11:31AM
THANK YOU!!!

bbailey
I went from 18.4-38 to 18.4-42 at around 3000 rpm and 6500-7500 # and gained 5mph if that helps you any.Unfortunately I’m looking for 38’s again because I have nowhere to run anymore so I’m gonna end up running mph classes I guess

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro