Diesel Super Stock Trucks August 05, 2023 06:23AM
It is a great thing to want to be a Grand National class, but it is more important that pullers support their class. I can't imagine there will be very many promotors willing to keep booking the class.

Re: Diesel Super Stock Trucks August 05, 2023 08:07AM
I mentioned this, sort of, in another post. Numbers are wayyyy down. I do know there are parts issues for some but this class seems to be really hurting right now - not just one particular sanctioning body either - everywhere.

Re: Diesel Super Stock Trucks August 05, 2023 09:39AM
This time of the year it is very difficult to get a decent turnout of competitors in a class with only a few vehicles in the class to begin with. Lots of fairs going on in August and that means a lot of venues wanting a pull. NTPA, OSTPA and PPL all have pulls this weekend that have the SSD truck class. Just be happy you got to see any of them

Re: Diesel Super Stock Trucks August 05, 2023 03:11PM
MN Fan
This time of the year it is very difficult to get a decent turnout of competitors in a class with only a few vehicles in the class to begin with. Lots of fairs going on in August and that means a lot of venues wanting a pull. NTPA, OSTPA and PPL all have pulls this weekend that have the SSD truck class. Just be happy you got to see any of them

Ft. Recovery had a dozen. Haisley and Biggs from nearby Indiana may be recovering from breakage. I read Todd Dugan x 2 had axle issues on his hauler. That would have been 16, even with an OSTPA hook the same night a few hours away.

I think aside from breakage, and PPL, OSTPA, and NTPA running the same class, part of the issue for western pulls like Tomah and Rockwell is geography. Pulls in Ohio and Indiana are where most of the pullers are. There aren't many SSD FWD in Wisconsin and Iowa. Hopefully more pullers in those areas will build for the class.

One could make a similar numbers argument with Semis. Aside from Minnesota, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, that class very thin.

Re: Diesel Super Stock Trucks August 07, 2023 06:19AM
The Original Michael

Ft. Recovery had a dozen. Haisley and Biggs from nearby Indiana may be recovering from breakage. I read Todd Dugan x 2 had axle issues on his hauler. That would have been 16, even with an OSTPA hook the same night a few hours away.

I think aside from breakage, and PPL, OSTPA, and NTPA running the same class, part of the issue for western pulls like Tomah and Rockwell is geography. Pulls in Ohio and Indiana are where most of the pullers are. There aren't many SSD FWD in Wisconsin and Iowa. Hopefully more pullers in those areas will build for the class.

One could make a similar numbers argument with Semis. Aside from Minnesota, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, that class very thin.

This is very accurate as to why there were low numbers at Rockwell for the SSD4x4 Class:

Present-Cream of the Crop, Cummins Killer III, Top Shelf, and Smokin Ya

Dugan-Still Recovering from hauler damage-BG will be their last event for the year, maybe Sandwich
Haisley-Engine damage and down on help so working hard to get customer's truck done
Biggs-???
One Nation-???
American Pride and Cross Wire-Pulled PPL
Scheid-Pulled PPL
Trump-Pulled PPL
Against The Grain-Pulled PPL
Caretaker-Pulled PPL
Something to prove-Pulled out East
I think I saw some others that pulled out east too
Me-Waiting on truck to be finished....

I'm sure Hillsboro, BG, and Scheid will be a much larger turnout because there will be no conflicts.

Re: Diesel Super Stock Trucks August 07, 2023 07:50AM
Alpha, I'm not trying to argue here, but maybe the class should go back to being a Regional class, if most don't want to travel to Hutch, Tomah, or Rockwell. National means you have to leave your home state/region to pull. I know the promoters of the above pulls can't be happy with the turnout, and if I were them, I would book a class that will support their "national" pull.

Re: Diesel Super Stock Trucks August 07, 2023 08:06AM
Groundpounder
Alpha, I'm not trying to argue here, but maybe the class should go back to being a Regional class, if most don't want to travel to Hutch, Tomah, or Rockwell. National means you have to leave your home state/region to pull. I know the promoters of the above pulls can't be happy with the turnout, and if I were them, I would book a class that will support their "national" pull.

Groundpounder, I'm not trying to argue here, but maybe Diesel Super Stock tractors should become a Regional class, if most don't want to travel to Fort Recovery. National means you have to leave your home state/region to pull. I know the promoters of the above pulls can't be happy with the turnout, and if I were them, I would book a class that will support their "national" pull

Re: Diesel Super Stock Trucks August 07, 2023 09:42AM
Groundpounder

I can appreciate your point. I guess what I am saying is a good number were broke and couldn't be there even if they wanted to.

Secondly, the other half DID attend a National pull (Whether it be PPL or NTPA). Honestly, I like PPL just like I do NTPA but if I wasn't in the point race and I had the option of pulling 2 hours from my home or 13 hours from my home you bet I am going to pick the National event within 2 hours.

Stacey, Gearhart, and Gillette are all from OH and all have a reasonable chance to win the NTPA points race. They came and supported the NTPA National event.

Crowder, Witt, Eller are all in the point race for PPL and went to the PPL National Event. Gearhart is the only one that had a reasonable chance at winning either and it was an outside chance before the OH hook on Saturday night.

I will preface this with the fact that I love Rockwell! I love pulling there, I love the pit area, I love the people, the promotors...etc and I have been pulling there and supporting them since 2013. When they went from a Regional Hook to a GN hook, they didn't have the SSD4X4 there. I e-mailed the Lions club and asked for it to be added because the Diesel Pick-ups always supported it when it was a RIII hook. The next year they were added and I am so grateful for that. Having said that the SSD4x4 pulled Thursday Night and then had to wait to pull Saturday afternoon. If they would have pulled Thursday night and Friday Afternoon (or even Friday night) those pullers could have made the OH hook on Saturday night for PPL. For a lot of the pullers it would have been a pull basically on their way home. I talked to one puller and he said I can't be gone for 5 days right now for 2 hooks when I can be gone for 1 day for 1 hook. I know other classes that pulled back to back so they could get to another hook in IL.

This was just bad timing for the class, not a reason for it to go back to a Regional class. No one is going to spend $350K+ on a truck to be a regional class.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,657, Posts: 229,735, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,071, Posts: 225,919.

Our newest member JD_8520