safety issues August 31, 2023 12:33AM
For the past couple years, I have been saying that the states should send in possible safety issues to the main organizations so they can be looked at and evaluated.
The oil pan explosions that I've seen in the past decade are getting more and more violent. One of these days I'm afraid we are going to fry somebody.
One of the things that could be implemented that I believe could save a life or lives.
We should add additional a side panel to extend down to almost the bottom of the oil pans. Both sides
I am going to try to do this with my tractor over this winter even though we really don't run my tractor that much anymore.
I feel that we need to protect not only the fans but also anybody that needs to be working on the track.
I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the best way to do this. Possibly they could be suspended from the top, just inside the frame rail and drop down.
On the front and back of these panels on the bottom maybe a connection from side to side with a simple cable.
If we can direct the spray pattern or flame directly towards the ground and not outward I will believe this would make a great improvement.
I have no engineering degree and not saying this is going to work but I am just trying to protect people from getting hurt.

Re: safety issues August 31, 2023 12:50AM
There was already burst panels installed on a few tractors this year, and I'm sure more to come, that help a lot with this issue!

Re: safety issues August 31, 2023 01:18AM
The only concern I'm worried about with burst panels.
Is that going to be the weakest link?
Is a weld going to give up?
Cast aluminum oil pans
Steel oil pans
Aluminum oil pans
Stainless steel oil pans
The sheer size of an oil pan.
To me this is all determining factors.
The largest cylinder with even the smallest amount of pressure can move a large mass

Re: safety issues August 31, 2023 03:32AM
Basically, kudos to people which are making a step forward and starting to tell their safety concerns.

But especially this matter, risk of burn due to blown oil pans, is IMO a matter of third importance. And let me try to explain why.

A while ago I started to put safety issues into categories, depending on the scale of consequencies, involved probability of occurance, etc.
My typically categories are, regarding their importance, from top down:

Cat A: spectators safety
Cat B: staff safety
Cat C: drivers safety

Transfer your example case into my world, with a high probability of occurance as an cat C issue, with a low prob as an cat B topic.

I would suggest to handle from sanctioning body perspective high cat matters (A&Cool with strictly tight requirements, to ensure a max level of safety for e.g. cat A target group (spectators).
Beside that, many cat B, and most cat C topics are fine to adress them via recommendations instead of hard requirements. Basically the only hard requirements for cat C are the ROP and the firesuit.
It can be recommended to use a particular quality of firesuit, helmet (maybe vented?!), gloves, boots, neckbrace or HANS.
Also to install in own interest extinguishing measures under the hood, an appropriate fire wall, a wider radius at the front axle skid bars, etc.
And also to introduce measures that catch somehow the hot and fast gases of an oil pan explosion.

We can discuss pros&cons of proposals for that, but I suggest to do this all only with the intention to consent for kinda recomm.

A while ago elswere they dealed with side shielding on hooded tractors, depending on either in combination with sheet metal frame rails, or tube frame chassis. Leading to the result that it shall be permitted to use the frame rails in their geom location as a substitute for the intended sheet piece, but in case of a tube frame, the shielding must cover this region as well, either from inside (between engine block and chassis) or outside of the chassis. During that, several side notes have been introduced, regulating the aspects of how to attach, vertical and horizontal min span width etc. I remember that some people complained about the limited space at tube chassis, between engine block and frame, with all this lines, linkages, cabling etc, colliding with attachments of the shielding, or generally disturbing the accessibility of such components behind the shielding.

Re: safety issues August 31, 2023 03:13AM
M HAYES
For the past couple years, I have been saying that the states should send in possible safety issues to the main organizations so they can be looked at and evaluated.
The oil pan explosions that I've seen in the past decade are getting more and more violent. One of these days I'm afraid we are going to fry somebody.
One of the things that could be implemented that I believe could save a life or lives.
We should add additional a side panel to extend down to almost the bottom of the oil pans. Both sides
I am going to try to do this with my tractor over this winter even though we really don't run my tractor that much anymore.
I feel that we need to protect not only the fans but also anybody that needs to be working on the track.
I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the best way to do this. Possibly they could be suspended from the top, just inside the frame rail and drop down.
On the front and back of these panels on the bottom maybe a connection from side to side with a simple cable.
If we can direct the spray pattern or flame directly towards the ground and not outward I will believe this would make a great improvement.
I have no engineering degree and not saying this is going to work but I am just trying to protect people from getting hurt.

Yep, them poor earth worms are toast.

Re: safety issues August 31, 2023 03:59AM
What is the point of a SSD making all that ultra superior supreme super extreme power !!!???
Anymore, they are doing good if they can even be a 1 run wonder per season.
What good is that? Then they spend the other 99% of the season in the repair shop. That does nothing to keep the SSD class thriving.
Having maybe 3 show up for a GN class in my view is not a worthwhile class.
And I'm an old longtime SS proponent. But today's SSD class today is pathetic. Unfortunately!

Simple Solution = Back the power down 2000, so those engines have some breathing and longevity. Meaning they have a much better chance of staying together and having a class of 10 to 15 at every GN event that actually demonstrates a real show.

Mr. Hayes, I do not know how many SSD even exist today in NY even though I recognize your family has pulled SSD for a long, long time. But how many SSD are reliably at every event? How many more would be there if all of you did as I suggest?
I understand your concern. But if the class would do as I suggested, then your concern is not as valid. And I'm all for safety.

NTPA divisional committees can bring forth safety related items. Let us see if any show up soon, for possible consideration in 3 weeks at the Enderle meetings.

Re: safety issues August 31, 2023 05:36AM
Why you (mr.simple solution) attach the topic openers concerns to DSS only? None of the above posts are sticking it exclusively to DSS.
Calm down, somehow I understand your point, less internal loads inside, more reliability, less explosions, right?!
By trend this seem logical. But wait...
I assume even LSS/LPS etc have somehow bad oil pan explosions once in a while, although there is much less power involved.
Try to take into account that there are also a few young and unexperienced new pullers out which have to learn all this stuff, and probably will hurt some parts until they got it out.
Same for people with alkys which they try to convert from mech controlled injection to EFI, they probably will break something before they fully reach a reliable setup.
So it's not just a matter of high power vehicles or even of the heavy DSS boys only.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009