5.0 prostock and Light Pro 5.0 December 23, 2023 07:22AM
Why on earth is the NTPA having 2 classes of 5.0 tractors? I saw where they were proposing or have installed a rule to limit the Light Pros to a 5.0 inch charger? It makes no sense to me to have two of the same turbo classes. I understand that the LPS have a 4.5 g trim exhaust limit and if I'm not mistaken the Pros have a 6 Inch exhaust limit plus 140 more cubes. Then we have the Limiteds with 640 and a 4.1!
I believe that it would make more sense to eliminate the Limited 640 class and make the LPS Limited to the 4.1 and 540 with g trim. Or rename the LPS class to Limited pro. Just curious what others think?

Re: 5.0 prostock and Light Pro 5.0 December 23, 2023 07:45AM
why not get rid of the 540 class

Re: 5.0 prostock and Light Pro 5.0 December 23, 2023 02:43PM
Because in my opinion there are already two, 640 cubic inch classes, neither of which make any sense to me. Especially when the 540s are making way more power than the two 640 classes, it doesn't make sense to have two large cube clases that are not making near the power of a smaller cube class. 540s are cheaper to build with a lot more availability of usable used parts, less Machining, no need for stroker cranks. There are many reasons why the 540 class makes more sense. Again, I believe that the 540s should only be allowed a 4.1 g trim turbo. Super farms never needed to be 640 from the start nor did the Limiteds. Honestly, 680 pros should have been limited to 640 max to begin with, however it's all water under the dam now. Now they trying to back pedal. And the turbos are the easiest way to back pedal since de-cubing would be a total waste of a bunch of 640 blocks that would be good for nothing more than scrap iron. Just my opinion.

Re: 5.0 prostock and Light Pro 5.0 January 04, 2024 07:24AM
I don't know what your definition of "way more power" is and I've never dynoed our 672 cubic in IH 5.0 Prostock motor but I'm pretty sure its a little bit more than a 540 light pro motor. The main reason I like the 5.0 Prostock is the longevity of the motor. We aren't popping chargers or running them on kill to be somewhat competitive and aren't rebuilding it every couple passes. Also the parts to build a competitive light pro vs 4.1 limited pro vs 5.0 Prostock motor are pretty similar in cost. High dollar chargers and fuel pumps, equal machine and head work, same water injection, data loggers, oil pumps, manifolds, and other accessories and almost all are running billet internals so not going to add up to much difference between motors in my opinion.

Re: 5.0 prostock and Light Pro 5.0 January 04, 2024 01:06PM
i keep seeing that the light pros have more power than the 4.1's despite 100 less cubes is this simply because of a bigger turbo and how much difference is there?

Re: 5.0 prostock and Light Pro 5.0 January 04, 2024 03:53PM
Outlaw, I didn't say that the 540 made more power than a 5.0 680 prostock, I was talking about the 640s. Limited and Super farms. Sorry for the confusion. Jakrapid, the good 540s are I. The 3k range and I believe that the 640 limited pros with 4.1 smooth bore are likely in the 2400- To maybe 2500 range on the better ones.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,628, Posts: 229,690, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520