Bore vs stroke February 07, 2024 01:45PM
Planning on building an engine that needs more cubes to reach class limit. Was wondering opinions on weather stroke or bore is best option would have to increase stroke by .400 or increase bore by .1875. but my dilemma is that my head flow is lacking compared to other makes ill be competing against so was wondering if the stroke will cause it to be harder to fill the cylinders by way of piston speed increase. Or if the extra torque would be a bigger gain than the airflow loss would be at 3000rpm. Just looking for input or guidance if there's some kinda formula to follow.

Re: Bore vs stroke February 07, 2024 02:01PM
At 3k, I think the stroke would be beneficial to you.

Re: Bore vs stroke February 08, 2024 01:59AM
This is the age-old argument of stroke versus bore, you will get lots of opinions and arguments, but in my opinion the difference will not be measurable on a dyno. I would do which ever makes the most sense from a mechanical standpoint. Do you have enough room in the block for a 3/16" overbore? That would probably be the least expensive and the most robust solution.

Re: Bore vs stroke February 10, 2024 01:05AM
You didn’t give us a lot to go on. What is the current bore and stroke? Budget? Goals?

Honestly it depends upon what more bore does for your head flow and what your bore/stroke ratio is now. Generally, adding more stroke to a diesel is almost never a bad idea, especially in a limited RPM class.

My guess from the description is a 426 AC in a 466 class. Based upon that guess, if it’s in the budget and you want to run the best you can, I would stroke it or do a little of both. If you just want to make hooks and represent your brand, since the bore/stroke is already pretty good, I would go with more bore.

If you had a 404 Ford or 466 Deere where the factory bore and stroke are close to the same and there are factory cranks with more stroke, I would definitely go with the longer stroke factory cranks and adjust bore from there.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,633, Posts: 229,697, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520