Blackbourn February 17, 2024 07:06AM
Does anyone know what Josh Blackbourn meant when he said that this would probably be his last time driving a super stock?

Re: Blackbourn February 17, 2024 11:02AM
Must be getting kicked out for the young boy

Re: Blackbourn March 02, 2024 03:43AM
Anyone know anything about this? I know he's been pulling a john deere super farm for his friend once in awhile, but never thought he'd trade driving a super stock for a super farm full time.

Re: Blackbourn March 02, 2024 03:19PM
I thought Mike's son done a great job driving at the NFMS Championship tractor pull! Great job young man!! Keep your nose clean and keep up the great driving!! You are gonna be one of the best!!

Re: Blackbourn March 03, 2024 02:49AM
You can tell that Cody listened and was paying attention to Brian Korth and the Blackbourns..He had some great teachers and is now doing a fantastic job of driving.

Re: Blackbourn March 04, 2024 06:06AM
I don't think people give Cody a fair shake listening to the people around me at NFMS. Years past when you went through the pits he was always working on the tractors with Terry and Josh. I even overheard Mike asking Cody what else they needed to do to the tractors one year in the pits. The year at Tomah when Brian had the heavy Supers, Cody was doing allot of the set up work on them for Brian. I don't think he's the kid that was just handed the tractor because Dad has the money, I think he worked for it but seems that's the reputation he is getting. Love seeing him do well and he has some all time greats to learn from.

I am not a huge fan of team Chizek as I am a green guy but they do add allot to the show. Take them out and the heavy/light super class would be short on tractors/excitement. They definitely put on a show.

Re: Blackbourn March 04, 2024 11:31AM
Badgerfan
I am not a huge fan of team Chizek as I am a green guy but they do add allot to the show. Take them out and the heavy/light super class would be short on tractors/excitement. They definitely put on a show.

Very well said. People like rooting for the underdogs and Chizek's tractors definitely are not that. But if they ever went away, we would sure miss them. I've seen it before with other teams like Larry Roberts and others.

Re: Blackbourn March 05, 2024 10:27PM
I guess as i view Cody, he's just a kid with daddy's money. I hope he proves me wrong. I guess in general I lost a little respect for the whole team itself when Saturday night Ross family threw a hat off to them for being great competitors and they never acknowledged the gesture, or even congratulated the triple bypass team. arrogance runs amuck.

Re: Blackbourn March 06, 2024 01:06AM
something to prove
I guess as i view Cody, he's just a kid with daddy's money. I hope he proves me wrong. I guess in general I lost a little respect for the whole team itself when Saturday night Ross family threw a hat off to them for being great competitors and they never acknowledged the gesture, or even congratulated the triple bypass team. arrogance runs amuck.

Something to prove, I believe that you are sadly mistaken! I believe that Cody Chizek is more Involved and obviously is a great driver and asset to the team! Yes apparently Mr. Chizek has plenty of jingle, but why would you hold that against them or worse yet the kid?

Re: Blackbourn March 06, 2024 01:21PM
Multi-generational pulling teams are essential to pulling's overall success and long term viability. At the core is the ability for families to be involved in a lifestyle/hobby/passion together, in my opinion. I see it at every level of pulling, a means to keep the family connected. My best example is a family I grew up around - its three generations and they're all new to the sport. They're learning together and spending time with one another running a pair of Farm Stocks, that would potentially have been time spent apart.

We've all got the right to like or dislike a team for whatever reason, but at the core there's a certain lwvel of respect to be paid to get another generation involved and through them keep the sport alive.

Re: Blackbourn March 06, 2024 11:43PM
"A kid with Daddy's money" describes how the majority of tractor pullers started out. Heck, how did the kid's Daddy get his money? From his Daddy? A lot of this is generational and there's nothing wrong with that. And without being sarcastic in any way. I would be interested in hearing stories about pullers who are NOT helped by "Daddy's money" or any other family connections to pulling and/or family inheritance. That group is the minority.

Re: Blackbourn March 07, 2024 06:02AM
Face in crowd
"A kid with Daddy's money" describes how the majority of tractor pullers started out. Heck, how did the kid's Daddy get his money? From his Daddy? A lot of this is generational and there's nothing wrong with that. And without being sarcastic in any way. I would be interested in hearing stories about pullers who are NOT helped by "Daddy's money" or any other family connections to pulling and/or family inheritance. That group is the minority.

I wonder the same about those that aren't tied to a business, whether it be farming or machining or drilling or trucking...etc. Seems like there are very few GN type teams that don't have a connection to an owned business. I also think there are certain individuals or teams that are looked down on because they don't make their money from a "blue collar" type of business.

Re: Blackbourn March 08, 2024 12:51PM
At the pro level, there were way more true "blue collar" pullers 30-40 years ago when the pullers supplied more of their own ingenuity and elbow grease. When the machines were hauled around on flatbeds. Before billet-everything took over.

If you can spend $1M together on your pro stock and hauler, you are not "blue collar" anymore. And that's ok. Nobody should insult your kid for it. I thought we respected that kind of success in America.

Re: Blackbourn March 08, 2024 03:46PM
I wouldn't say spending $1M on the tractor, hauler, etc doesn't make you not blue collar. Many of the large teams have businesses that translate to blue collar life. Coal mining, trucking, farming, trailer construction, industrial construction, engineering, etc etc etc. These guys make a lot of the World we work and live in

Re: Blackbourn March 09, 2024 01:52AM
Wyatt -- how many of those blue collar workers that work for the people or companies you mentioned could actually build,pull,maintain, a national level tractor ? Those are the real blue collar workers, not the company owner.

Re: Blackbourn March 09, 2024 02:52AM
I think what might be overlooked is that a large percentage of successful pullers have successful businesses because of years of hard work, long hours,sacrifice and struggles. Just to name a few Mike Connie, Earl Wells, Roger Simon, Billy Biers, Wayne Purser are all examples of pullers who started their businesses from the ground up and worked very hard to make, them a success.

Stop by the Simon operation some day, did RJ and Brandon start the businesses, no but if you stop by you won't find them sitting in a cushy office you will find them working growing what Roger started. I can tell very similar stories about all of these amazing people.

All of these people have many of the same traits that can be traced back to blue collar work ethics and values. Did they get lucky, maybe in some ways but in most every case it was and still is hard work and blue collar ethics that made them successful.

My deceased Father-in-Law Clyde Perfect had a saying " I'm lucky, the harder I worked the luckier I got". He was just like most of the people mentioned above, he started from scratch at 18 starting a brick laying business, that's about as blue collar as you will find. Did it make him wealthy...no but putting everything he worked for for 40 years on the line to build a ski area with his family did make him wealthy. I guarantee you that he was just as blue collar when he passed (he was buried with his ever present Estwing hammer and plyers) as he was when he started his brick business.

S'no Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2024 04:30AM by S'no Farmer.

Re: Blackbourn March 09, 2024 04:35AM
If all there is to being "blue collar" is a set of ethics and values, then almost everyone is "blue collar" and rich pullers are, too.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520